Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Work related stress and remedies?!

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2004, 01:28 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Work related stress and remedies?!

Hello

Having a pretty tough time at work just now; because of summer leave I am doing 3 peoples jobs for the next few weeks . I have only just started and already I can feel the pressure to perform. I'm not usually one to stress out over this type of thing, but I know for a fact if I don't start popping some pills to calm myself down some time soon I will either a) take a nervous break down b) quit my job or c) hit someone. Does anyone use/recommend any form of herbal remedy? I had a look on the net but I'd prefer to get info from someone who has actually used them.

Also, I have a major problem with telling people 'no' when asked to do things. I do get a bit annoyed when someone asks me to photocopy something for them (they get confused with the titles project support and admin support ) which really isn't my job but I do it anyway. Right now I don't have enough time to scratch my **** let alone spend half an hour standing in front of a photocopier. Any suggestions of how I can politely tell them to fvck off?

I know I'm posting on sn just now, but I am on a well deserved (reduced might I add) lunch break. I don't really get on anymore during the day for a little breather

TIA

Claire x
Old 26 May 2004, 01:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

There is a herbal medicine available called "Rescue Remedy" which is a liquid and you put a few drops on your tongue using the supplied Pippet.

Its supposed to calm you down and I know several who use it before exams etc. I've used it before some exams and in some cases I think I felt a bit more relaxed but it could be a placebo.
Old 26 May 2004, 01:44 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

As they say the art of leadership is delegation so find or ask for some body who can take on the tasks you haven't time for like the Copying. if required go to your boss and say that you are happy to take on these other roles for a short period of time but require some support.

As to things for the stress if it is that bad that you want to pop pills then turn it down.
Old 26 May 2004, 01:44 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Hi Claire, stress, best way to deal with it (last thing u usually want to do) is good exercise, not gym stuff, proper cardio-vascular routines, like swiming or cycling etc.

As to role orientation, you need to meet with your manager/ boss and have a session on defining what u are expected to do, try to keep this fairly informal as it can easily backfire on you, dont go in saying 'I get asked to do loads of crap I shouldnt be doing' tell him/her you are trying to prioritise your increased areas of responsibility and would like some guidance as to where some of the normal day to day stuff fall into your sphere of influence. If you can nail down some of these 'grey areas' then you start to have a better argument when being asked to do ancillary tasks you feel duty bound to do.

I've been in these sits' many times, and from experience, the more you do, the more you are expected to do, until you finally break, and say I've had enough! Take a look around you at other staff, are they wking as hard for the same type of money? or are they talking a good job and getting you to do their work for them?

If its gets to much, get out, I,ve had a work related breakdown and its no fun at all, you as is everyone else are ultimately replaceable, dont make yourself ill unless you are in the Pound seat.

Take Care

Rich.
Old 26 May 2004, 01:49 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I will have a look for that Rescue Remedy, I saw an advert on telly for it once I think.

But the thing is Adrian there is no one here for that type of thing. We all are supposed to do our own admin, and have been told I can't seek help from other departments. As for turning project work down, no go area. It HAS to be done. Hopefully if I pull through this then there may be some form of promotion/payrise on the cards.
Old 26 May 2004, 01:52 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

It's herbal ....

Old 26 May 2004, 01:52 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Trending Topics

Old 26 May 2004, 01:54 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Rich. Might give walking home a bash

But surely the harder you work and the more efficient you are the further you go. It really bugs sometimes though, I am youngest in the office at 21 and may think I am only capable of menial tasks because of my lack of experience (which is bull, i spent a while working for the DTI, getting involved in projects hands on the woul never dream of doing). This sucks ***. I'm leaving.
Old 26 May 2004, 01:56 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

LOL Steve

PC, are you suggesting I do myself, or bust caps in the asses of those who **** me off?!
Old 26 May 2004, 01:57 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

depending on your mood, Claire. at the moment i am pretty much torn between the two.
Old 26 May 2004, 02:06 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

I own my own business and suffer from stress. rescue remedy is pretty good, as is brandy!!

Otherwise, drink peppermint tea to help your stomach stop getting tense, and do yoga in the evenings (best physical and mental activity I've ever done, along with rock climbing)
Old 26 May 2004, 02:07 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I can see where you are coming from PC

You can do both

I think Friday night will be spent with Mr Jack Daniels and a Hawaiian
Old 26 May 2004, 02:08 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Edcase, I wouldn't mind doing climbing, out my way there are pretty good facilities, might look into it. Yoga is for nonces
Old 26 May 2004, 02:24 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

If someone asks you to do something that isn't part of you job, agree happily to do it. Then check your diary and tell them you will be able to do it in about a week and a half. They can't complain as you are being reasonable.

If your boss keeps asking you to do something NOW, ask him if it is OK to put the other important job he asked you to do off until this one is finished. If you keep quiet and keep working harder, everyone will think you are super efficient and give you more work to do
Old 26 May 2004, 02:32 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
Hello

Having a pretty tough time at work just now; because of summer leave I am doing 3 peoples jobs for the next few weeks . I have only just started and already I can feel the pressure to perform. I'm not usually one to stress out over this type of thing, but I know for a fact if I don't start popping some pills to calm myself down some time soon I will either a) take a nervous break down b) quit my job or c) hit someone. Does anyone use/recommend any form of herbal remedy? I had a look on the net but I'd prefer to get info from someone who has actually used them.

Also, I have a major problem with telling people 'no' when asked to do things. I do get a bit annoyed when someone asks me to photocopy something for them (they get confused with the titles project support and admin support ) which really isn't my job but I do it anyway. Right now I don't have enough time to scratch my **** let alone spend half an hour standing in front of a photocopier. Any suggestions of how I can politely tell them to fvck off?

I know I'm posting on sn just now, but I am on a well deserved (reduced might I add) lunch break. I don't really get on anymore during the day for a little breather

TIA

Claire x
1) Learn how to say NO. If not NO, then don't say "YES I can do that" to everything. Arm yourself with knowledge, organise your calendar that you can show people you don't have the time for 'odd 5 minute' additions.

2) If it's a personality thing a colleague bought a punch bag and bashed the cr*p out of it every night 'cos his then boss was power mad idiot who took a dislike to him.

I recommend the exercise thing. Just don't take it too far and strain something or you'll end up stressed because of that too.

Whatever you do, don't surcumb to drinking in the week. It just makes the next day crappier.

J.
Old 26 May 2004, 02:40 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Yoga is for nonces
LOL. I'm stronger and fitter and healthier now than I ever was lifting weights at the gym every day. People who say that obviously don't have a clue and think its middle-aged women doing breathing exercises and some 'light stretching'

Old 26 May 2004, 03:01 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

what kind of yoga do you do, Ed? a mate of mine tried to get me into ashtanga, but tbo i found it really difficult.

Claire - maybe a spot of horizontal jogging would help? i'll try anything once.
Old 26 May 2004, 03:16 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Used to do ashtanga, now do Hatha. Ashtanga is more dynamic and for strength etc.

Hatha is much more thorough and includes pranayama (breathing) and meditation.

Horizontal jogging is always good too...
Old 26 May 2004, 03:34 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

take up running, great stress relief, and gets your head sorted
Old 26 May 2004, 03:39 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Talking

Another vote for horizontal jogging

or

Bonking
Boofing
Doing it
Doona Dancing
F*cking
The Horizontal Polka
Humping
Rooting
Screwing
Sexual Intercourse
Old 26 May 2004, 03:48 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

FPMSL Norty!

Don't I need someone to horizontally jog with?!

I have been meaning to take up some hobby/form of exercise. Once I get into it I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie.

You are all very right, thanks for the input. I am off home to have a good ponder tonight after work

(I feel sooooo naughty for being on here right now screw them)
Old 26 May 2004, 03:51 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Quote: I am off home to have a good ponder tonight after work

Will add good ponder to my list.

Old 26 May 2004, 03:55 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

You will start out enthusiastically down the exercise route but trust me it won't last long, speaks with expirience

Old 26 May 2004, 03:55 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Old 26 May 2004, 03:59 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Audi-Boy
You will start out enthusiastically down the exercise route but trust me it won't last long, speaks with expirience

Not necessarily true. The trick is finding the sporting activity which you *really* enjoy doing, not something that you consider as some sort of chore from the outset...
Old 26 May 2004, 03:59 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

A nice cycle either around Edinburgh, or up in the Pentlands (even just round the reservoirs; Harelaw, Clubbidean, Torduff) is a fantastic stress reliever. You can't see the city, you're in fresh air, and you do feel like you're miles from anywhere.

With the light nights now, you can be up there until after 9pm. Used to do it all the time after work....quick hour round the reservoirs. Fantastic.
Old 26 May 2004, 04:00 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I use to work in the Theatre and we had dead lines e.g. the curtain went up and i made myself Ill by taking on more and more responsability because i couldn't say No whilst my Collegues who did say no had an easier time. i learnt that you can only do so much in a 24 hour day and that the art to getting more done is to spread the work if that isn't possible then your boss should be able to help you decide what to do and what not to do. Your Boss has a responsabilty to look after you.

As to the hard you work the more you earn sorry but many companies take the attitude that they will exploit you to do as much as possible whilst paying you as little as possible so if you will take on more work with out the pay rise then they will let you.

and last but not least i manage a team of people and i give work to the busy ones as they actually get things done, the others who are not as quick or efficient get less work as i know over loading them achieves nothing and nothing gets done either.
Old 26 May 2004, 04:02 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
Don't I need someone to horizontally jog with?!
i refer you to my previous never to be repeated offer.

Old 26 May 2004, 04:03 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

What, except for repeating it on every single page of this thread..?

Quick Reply: Work related stress and remedies?!