Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ring nuts, do you know times and stats?

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2004, 08:06 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring nuts, do you know times and stats?

Yes I am talking of Nurburg ring..

I'm I right in thinking that any body that can do it in under 10 mins can hold their head up high, around 7 means you've got quite a big dong, and around 6 means you're the daddy?
Old 25 May 2004, 10:05 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Under 10 you know what your doing ..... 9.30 and your smoking, under 9 and your in pretty serious territory, under 8.30 and your in the wrong job.....

thats kinda the way i look at it ......
Old 25 May 2004, 10:19 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mynickers
Yes I am talking of Nurburg ring..

I'm I right in thinking that any body that can do it in under 10 mins can hold their head up high, around 7 means you've got quite a big dong, and around 6 means you're the daddy?
Under 7 means you have a Le man group c racer

Under 6 means you have invented time travel or access to Mr Shumachers Ferrari
Old 25 May 2004, 10:24 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Under 10 you know what your doing ..... 9.30 and your smoking, under 9 and your in pretty serious territory, under 8.30 and your in the wrong job.....

thats kinda the way i look at it ......
Under 10 in the Astra

Under 9:30 in the clio

Under 9 in the Turbo

Cheers
Old 25 May 2004, 10:40 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Under 7 in your dreams...

F
PS and mine
Old 25 May 2004, 10:48 PM
U WOT!
Scooby Regular

Is that per lap, sorry if it sounds dumb, but that is one big track then.
Old 26 May 2004, 06:48 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

i am in the wrong job.

Yes, thats one lap, 13 miles long.

Trending Topics

Old 26 May 2004, 07:55 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Ah ..... and of course it depends on the car your driving as well.

For instance under 10 in a 205 GTi equates to about 4 mins 34 seconds in a 944 turbo or Nissan 200
Old 26 May 2004, 08:43 AM
mannin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up not to pi55 on your chips, but.....

a quick google will tell you:

Caterham Superlight R: 8min 6.2sec

Ruf CTR II: 8min 15.0sec

Nissan $kyline GTR: 8min 28.1 sec

Porsche 911 Carrera: 8min 38.4sec

(full story : http://www.caterham.force9.co.uk/ring.htm )

Also consider that the Caterham used for this time is mighty, mighty quick.
It was recently bought by a chap who lives in the Isle of Man for (amongst other reasons) annoying the bikers during the TT.

He has a video of the lap and it's V quick. I'll have a bit of a poke around t'interweb and see if I can find a link to it.
Old 26 May 2004, 08:49 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I would imagine they are full laps though, the lap time we are discussing are BTG (bridge to gantry). I would think you would need to add 20 secs to a BTG time to estimate a full lap, or remove 20 secs for a BTG time.
Old 26 May 2004, 08:53 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

I'm borderline being in the wrong job 8.35 BTG with T13 shut down to that chicane diversion thing due to racing on the new circuit and yes, that was in the Skoda

Last edited by TaviaRS; 26 May 2004 at 08:54 AM. Reason: to add that mine is a BTG time
Old 26 May 2004, 01:03 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by davyboy
I would imagine they are full laps though, the lap time we are discussing are BTG (bridge to gantry). I would think you would need to add 20 secs to a BTG time to estimate a full lap, or remove 20 secs for a BTG time.
is The full lap start somewher between the "Village" and the "Gantry" ?? I've only been there once so not sure of names

I am in the right job my very first lap was about 11.40ish and my final 8th lap was just under 10mins, my mate forgot to stop watch untill pit lane entry

Tony
Old 26 May 2004, 01:31 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

The bridge is at just before you start to go downhill slightly to the left (Antoniusbuche) after the long straight.

The gantry is a few seconds after the very last long right hand corner (Galgenkopf).

Find any video and you will see what I mean.

Anyway, timing laps can be bad for your health.
Old 26 May 2004, 02:18 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Tavia, that is a serious lap time in a skoda mate ... much respect.

I try not to time myself but cant help looking at my ilegal video's when i get home to see if im improving

At the end of the day its not all about horse power over there, its about knowing the track. Anyone who has been there will agree im sure, and will have a story or two about being overtaken by a ford focus 1.8LX or smart car or merc 190D etc

four weeks one day and 15 hours till we leave home to go again Davyboy, not that im counting you understand
Old 26 May 2004, 09:50 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

thats a very old article Manin. Things have moved on big time since then. The Impreza Spec C was lapping in 8:06 2 years ago, i believe it went under 8 minutes for the first time a few weeks ago. It takes 26 seconds for a spec C impreza to go from the gantry to bridge.

Fastest lap i have on video of me driving there is 8:10 BTG, i was just under 8 minutes with the Westfield when i had done around 50 laps.
Old 26 May 2004, 10:37 PM
mannin
Scooby Regular

this is the most upto date link to the lap record I can find.

http://www.philbennett.com/news/default.asp?id=56

7mins 19sec

Last edited by mannin; 26 May 2004 at 10:50 PM. Reason: so it makes sense
Old 26 May 2004, 10:44 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mannin
a quick google will tell you:

Caterham Superlight R: 8min 6.2sec

Ruf CTR II: 8min 15.0sec

Nissan $kyline GTR: 8min 28.1 sec

Porsche 911 Carrera: 8min 38.4sec

(full story : http://www.caterham.force9.co.uk/ring.htm )

Also consider that the Caterham used for this time is mighty, mighty quick.
It was recently bought by a chap who lives in the Isle of Man for (amongst other reasons) annoying the bikers during the TT.

He has a video of the lap and it's V quick. I'll have a bit of a poke around t'interweb and see if I can find a link to it.
wasn't the Skyline famous for being the first production car to do under 8 mins???
Old 27 May 2004, 06:27 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
Fastest lap i have on video of me driving there is 8:10 BTG, i was just under 8 minutes with the Westfield when i had done around 50 laps.
If you used R rated tyres on the Impreza, I bet you would be close to lapping in lees that 8 min's

You are in the wrong job!

You know for 120 euros - you can enter some starter motorsport at the ring! Maybe thats what you need?!
Old 12 June 2004, 04:41 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Yeah the sub 7 stuff, was just getting confussed with reality and playing far too much gotham racing I can get those times in the GT1 on gotham does that count? Perhaps they should try making a car with a control pad instead of normal controls! Well when I finally make my fortune hopefully I can take out my motor racing obsession for real, but for now, the closest I get to driving around the ring is in front of my widescreen telly with the surround sound on! Ho hum, probably just as well, as I do crash a lot, and I still get to go down the pub after..

I downloaded the movie from fastdrive of an RUF 911 going around not sure of the time, it doesn’t say on the movie, sometimes they have it on the end in graphics. I have seen an awful lot of motor sport vids in my time, and some hair raising stuff for sure, but none quite like that! I would aspire to think that someday I could (own) and drive a car to the point of getting to at least near to 10 minutes on that bit of tarmac if I could ever get the opportunity to go their enough to learn it and get good on it, which is highly doubtful, but you have to dream or you never will. Watching that video though, I suddenly realised that there are good drivers, and there are awesome drivers, he was in the second category, and I don’t think there are that many people in the world in that group. The first vid I saw of the ring, that scared me a bit was the 911 chasing Sabine (the nutter ring taxi driver) in her M5 darting in and out of coaches, bikes and astras all looking very dangerous, and hit and miss. Don’t get me wrong, she is one hell of a driver, but she is freaking mad, taking the worng lines throw corners weaving in and out of bikes and cars to take the wrong line out, that takes massive skill, but it’s dangerous at that speed, if any of the people she is weaving through make a decision she wasn’t expecting then you know it’s going to end in some serious mangled metal and the bikers aren’t going home on their feet (or even alive most likely) and you’ll be lucky to walk away from a car too.

But that RUF is f’ink awesome, I have watched it loads of time, the man is just obviously somewhere between genius and quite mad, he hasn’t got a lid on, he is getting that thing to oversteer madly on almost every corner some of which are very, very quick indeed. And that road surface is litered with bumbs, dips, and uneven bits of tarmac. And yet he just seems to be at one with the car, just constaly correcting and sliding it around, and a phenomenal rate. If you haven’t watched it download it!
Old 12 June 2004, 09:10 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I remember overtaking the M5 Ring Taxi while a passenger in MattOz's 330D a couple of year's back. How we laughed in the car park Not sure the driver of the M5 was overly impressed though

There are some seriously impressive cars mentioned here. What are more impressive are the drivers who manage to get those times out of the cars! Big respect to Phil Bennett and Walter Rohrl, who I think was driving the Ruf Porsche?

Of the amateur laps I've seen, John Felstead's are some of the best. There are some good vids on his website (big downloads). John you truely are in the wrong job!

If you want to see some very fast laps - get Duke Videos 'in car 956' - Derek Bell in a Porsche 956 doing laps of some of the best circuits, including the Ring.

Chris

Last edited by Chris L; 12 June 2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12 June 2004, 10:33 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Walter Rohrl, who I think was driving the Ruf Porsche
Yes I think it was the non-standard production car record lap in the 'yellow bird' RUF (GT2??)
Old 12 June 2004, 02:36 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

mynickers

Having had the pleasure of some laps being chauffeured by Sabine I think your comments are way off the mark.

She is extremely cautious when in traffic and makes sure she has been seen (as far as possible) before overtaking.
There is a bigger problem from testosterone fuelled men determined to overtake her (or avoid being overtaken) so they can brag they "overtook Sabine".

Look again at the video from Anders' yellow GT3. See how long she waits behind the biker on the last part of the lap ? How many times does she "show she is there" without forcing a pass ?

The overtake going into Kallenhard does indeed look dodgy, but the biker is obscured by the Taxi and he may well have waved her through. Maybe he didn't, but please don't call her "mad" or "dangerous" when you don't have all the facts.
(She couldn't recall when we showed her the video)

I'd advise you to book a lap in the Taxi, both the drivers are awesome (Sabine shows off more but is not significantly faster IMO) and you will have one of the safest Ring laps you could wish for and have a great time too.
Old 12 June 2004, 02:59 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

Where/what is the nurburg ring?
Old 12 June 2004, 03:16 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

http://www.nurburgring.org/
Old 12 June 2004, 04:37 PM
SomeDude