Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

1st Time house buyer question!

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2004, 01:53 PM
WRBlue-STi7-Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1st Time house buyer question!

I am in the process of buying my first house. I had the survey done and it showed up electrical problems, i have an elecrical person look at this and the house needs a rewire (cost about £1500-£2000).

What would u lot do as i havent actual bought the house yet!!

Nick
Old 25 May 2004, 01:56 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a pain in the **** to me
Old 25 May 2004, 01:56 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

About right price wise for a rewire.

Wouldn't let it put you off, so long as you get a discount on the house...
Old 25 May 2004, 01:57 PM
WRBlue-STi7-Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Thats what i mean - should i ask the vendor to pay for it?
Old 25 May 2004, 01:58 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Ask them for 2k off the purchase price (Show them the report in case they think you are trying to pull the wool)
Old 25 May 2004, 01:59 PM
Del mar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRBlue-STi7-Prodrive
I am in the process of buying my first house. I had the survey done and it showed up electrical problems, i have an elecrical person look at this and the house needs a rewire (cost about £1500-£2000).

Nick
It is not the end of the World providing the Mortgage Company don't impose conditions on their loan.

A rewire is only 2 wires !
One for the lights and One for the sockets. Price up the wire/sockets and it will come in less than £300, £400 if you want a flash fuse box.

Del
Old 25 May 2004, 01:59 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

You will need to fully redecorate afterwards remember.

Trending Topics

Old 25 May 2004, 02:01 PM
WRBlue-STi7-Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Decorating was going to be done anyhow as it is ******* awful!!
Old 25 May 2004, 02:06 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Del mar
It is not the end of the World providing the Mortgage Company don't impose conditions on their loan.

A rewire is only 2 wires !
One for the lights and One for the sockets. Price up the wire/sockets and it will come in less than £300, £400 if you want a flash fuse box.

Del
Err...not if you have multiple ring circuits, plus one for the cooker etc!
Not that simple!
Old 25 May 2004, 02:14 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

had my place re-wired after i bought it. i negotiated £5k off the sale price - the re-wire ended up costing £3k. I'm glad i did it as i know the wiring is 100% safe now, and we have a decent number of sensibly located sockets in each room. however, the place was virtually uninhabitable whilst the owrk was going on, and there was plaster dust *everywhere*
Old 25 May 2004, 04:02 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRBlue-STi7-Prodrive

Nick
I doubt that the survey specifically mentioned knackered electrics unless something actually shocked the surveyor. Most normally comment on the age of the fittings and recommend you obtain qualified advice. Which you have done. Did the electrician state that the electrical installation is dangerous in any way?

Having read what others have suggested.....
£2K for a rewire + £?K for a re-decorate afterwards. Doesn't matter that the decor is naff. Unless it's old and naff and the house is priced accordingly. Get your oar in and state it'll need doing after the re-wire. It's a lever, so use it.

J.
Old 26 May 2004, 11:17 AM
WRBlue-STi7-Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Arrow Update

The owners of the house have offered to pay £1000 towards the re-wire (works out at about half). I said i wanted more and they said they would put the house back on the market.

I cant see them really doing this as we are really close to purchasing this house.

The owners of the house have already bought another house and are not living in the house i want.

What would u lot recommend? Do you think i will get a call saying that they will give more money towards the re-wire?
Old 26 May 2004, 11:29 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Depends how much you want the house, and how much it is worth as per the survey, and is it worth losing it for the sake of £1k.

See this all the time on these silly tv programmes like Location Location Location.....they haggle over £1k, and then lose out on the house when somebody else offers the right price....

Personally, if you're spending £200k+, haggling is all well & good up to a point. However, if your heart is in the house, and given they've met you halfway, it's up to you if you want to risk the house for this amount.
Old 26 May 2004, 11:31 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Most surveys recommend a rewire whether it is really needed or not. I would take the 1k. A good sparky will not make that much mess & reuse the existing cable routes (new cable though).
Get an electrician in to have a look at it. It might just need a new fuse panel with trip switches etc.
Old 26 May 2004, 12:20 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imlach
Depends how much you want the house, and how much it is worth as per the survey, and is it worth losing it for the sake of £1k.
Amen to that. Tried to haggle over mine for a grand at 164k almost as a point of principle, he stood firm, I gave in and bought it. Never regretted it. If you're trying for a 40k flat and you have eight others to choose from, that's a different story.
Old 26 May 2004, 12:28 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

The rewire price sounds about right, and although I'd push the vendors to knock the the full price off the price of the house, if you really want the place its not worth losing it for the sake of £1k.

Get the work done before you move in - I had my house rewired just before xmas, and it finished up looking like Baghdad ! Make sure you get a decent mud-pusher to do the patching up too, and not a 'mate' of the sparky.
Old 26 May 2004, 12:51 PM
Huw Jorgan
Scooby Regular

What figure has the surveyor valued the property at in his report? If he has down valued the property by 2k then you may be in with a chance. If he has valued at the property at the purchase price then take the grand the vendor has offered. As others have said is it worth loosing the house for the sake of a grand, bearing in mind you have probably spent the close to that already with solicitors, surveys & electrical report. Remember, unless solicitor is on a no sale no fee basis they will charge for the work they have done on an aborted sale.

As for the vendor not pulling out as you are so close to completion, don't beleive it. I had two vendors withdraw on the day of exchange last week as they could get more for their properties now than they could 8 weeks ago when we agreed the sales.
Old 26 May 2004, 01:04 PM
Del mar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Err...not if you have multiple ring circuits, plus one for the cooker etc!
Not that simple!
Ok then 3 wires and a length of cooker flex

I was just suggesting that it is not that hard a DIY job, a little bit of thought and some planning. You are essentially paying for the hassle for running cables in walls under floor boards etc. The skilled electrician did not train for several years to climb about under floors and cut holes in walls. If you can do the "donkey" work, that is 80% of the job, the only "risky" bit is connecting everything to the incoming supply - the risk being death mind

I did our house and I could not even find the sparks plugs in the car !!!!!!

If you get £1000 off take it, and give serious consideration to doing it yourself.

Del
Old 26 May 2004, 01:08 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Del mar
Ok then 3 wires and a length of cooker flex

I was just suggesting that it is not that hard a DIY job, a little bit of thought and some planning. You are essentially paying for the hassle for running cables in walls under floor boards etc. The skilled electrician did not train for several years to climb about under floors and cut holes in walls. If you can do the "donkey" work, that is 80% of the job, the only "risky" bit is connecting everything to the incoming supply - the risk being death mind

I did our house and I could not even find the sparks plugs in the car !!!!!!

If you get £1000 off take it, and give serious consideration to doing it yourself.

Del
I wholly agree that the majority of the work is pretty simple if you're prepared to get your hands (and body when under floor!) dirty!
The majority of the cost is labour - the materials cost pennies....(well, a few hundred tops).
Old 26 May 2004, 01:10 PM
Del mar
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention

SPIDERS
Old 26 May 2004, 01:24 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I'd accept the vendors offer. What fees for the survey, the searches, solicitors have you already paid? If either party pulls out you'll lose the lot. Not worth it for £1,000.

So get on and exchange, you could seek possession for your electrican after exchange so by the time the sale completes the wiring is done.