Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Attn: Scoobynet Guitarists

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2004, 01:37 AM
yet another login
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Attn: Scoobynet Guitarists

I hope someone can help with my problem, I just don't know where to spend my money.

I am currently looking at a new guitar to buy by the autumn. I am considering An Ibanez SZ or possibly a Wasburn X50. It needs to be hardtailed, HH pups and ideally have a carved top. Along the same lines as a PRS or LP but I am looking for a more modern take on the idea.

My musical tastes are pretty broad from REM to Pantera.

Amp-wise I currently have a Marshall VS15 and a Gorilla TC65, Both practice amps but the later is VERY LOUD. I also plan to purchase an all valve Laney LC series amp in the not to distant future

Guitar-wise I have a 82-84 Yamaha SG200 and an 86 Ibanez Roadstar II RG440 which I believe is a forerunner to the current RG series.

Does anyone have an opinion on the SZ or the X50? Should I be looking at something else, maybe an Epi LP?

Or should I buy some new pups for my antiquated axes? If so what?

My budget is limited to around £500 though I could possibly strech a little.

I hope these vague ramblings are enough to go on.

Many thanks

Tony
Old 20 May 2004, 01:41 AM
yet another login
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I forgot to add It would also need to be a set neck, a neck thru would be ideal but are near enough impossible to find I am looking for as much sustain as is possible.

Is a string thru body worth it?

Cheers

Tony
Old 20 May 2004, 05:51 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

**** em all. Vintage SG should do it. but like the Epi LP, light action.
Old 20 May 2004, 06:16 PM
yet another login
Scooby Regular

I was considering a vintage when I got my Yamaha sg at xmas, I've no idea why they are so cheap. I brought the sg as a stop-gap and decided on the yamaha at being 20 years old it couldn't lose much more money if I sold it to buy something different.

I could buy a vintage and put some nice pups in it, a Seymour Duncan JB sounds the best on their site - or a Bare Knuckles Warpig but at £115 it seems a lot for a pair of ciols and a magnet. Maybe even an Emg81.

Theres to many choices out there.

Cheers
Tony
Old 21 May 2004, 10:56 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

a patrick eggle! Well Ive got one and the action is super super smooth, better than a strat and widely regarding as better than PRS, hand made in the UK, pre-94 ones are collectable now, typically go on ebay for anywhere between 5-800 quid. Mines a berlin pro, coil tapped, seymour duncan pick-ups, sperzel tuners, check em out!

Gary
Old 21 May 2004, 02:19 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

I have an SG classic (s/coils) for sale if you want one for reasonable money. Unused.

Matt
Old 21 May 2004, 07:50 PM
yet another login
Scooby Regular

Gary. I looked at Patrick Eggles website a few days ago, fine looking instruments. I've looked at John Birch's site also (I believe he's inside atm?) It's a shame the british companies are on a much smaller scale.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:31 PM
Wizzbang
Scooby Regular

What about this - Cort M600

Admittedly not too different from the PRS but, at £400 for a solid mahogany body with arched flamed maple top, set neck and a pair of alinco hums with coil tap, it is remakable value for money
Old 21 May 2004, 09:36 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I was in the same boat, with a budget of 500 quid and I was going for a Jackson DKMG. That fell through though, payday came and went so I threw another 170 quid in the pot and got a ESP/LTD MH-400N. Superb guitar, twin EMG-81s, beautiful smooth fast set thru neck (not a full thru neck, but not a bolt on). Problem is finding somewhere to try one.

Looks like this

I'm playing through a GFX-8 effects unit connected up to a Hughes & Kettner amp and it sounds very sweet. The EMGs allow for good crunchy distortion sounds.

Bit over your budget though, but might be worth a look at the ESP/LTD range or Jacksons as well as Ibanez and Washburns. Have a look at some of the reviews on http://www.harmony-central.com for some ideas.