Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Customer Service - why are we so inconsistent in UK?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2004, 09:03 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Customer Service - why are we so inconsistent in UK?

You know the scenario:

1. Assistant doenst know common courtesy - please, thanks etc. or even hello!
2. They have a conversation with another assistant the whole time they've served you.
3. Not even acknowledging you from no.2
4. They are in a bad mood and everyone knows it. Not the least bit friendly.
5. They **** around and take forever, when the teller in the next queue has served 5 people and your still waiting.
6. About to serve you and they still the 'till closed' sign up - everyone behind you jumps to another queue, and suddenly your first to last!
7. cant work the till properly and you calculate it in your head 2 mins before they still get a wrong figure.
8. eye contact is nil
9. Ones you ask for help and they look at you like you killed their pet.
10. Ones that follow you round a shop like your a thief.

Was in the US and even though the 'have a nice day' stuff is a bit false, atleast they knew who the customer was and virtually always went out their way to make sure everything was fine. In the UK, if you get that sort of service its classed as special, when its common practice over there.

Just makes me wonder what tourists think when they go round the UK?

PS I also realise we do have good people, but wish they were more plentiful.
Old 19 May 2004, 09:08 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Customer service is getting much worse, and I complain all the time until I get someone who cares and is intelligent.

America is not so true anymore, having spent a lot of this year in California and Washington the customer service is getting much worse. Now, without being racist (really, I'm not racist) one of the reasons for this is that there is a lot of Hispanic and Chinese in stores and restaurants and I don't think they have figured out the American "Have a nice day" yet...

Steve.
Old 19 May 2004, 09:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

dont recognise any of the above happening to me. You don't stroll around with a shopping trolley full of empty bags, followed by a mangy dog pissing everywhere do you?
Old 19 May 2004, 09:25 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

PMSL
Old 19 May 2004, 10:48 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marky-San
Customer Service - why are we so inconsistent in UK?
because the people in customer service jobs get paid minimum wage (in shops), or thereabouts (in companies).

let's face it - people in the uk as a whole seem to favor cheap prices over quality customer service. as a result, firms are forced to go to the cheap labour pool, and as such dont get highly qualified, highly motivated staff.

Just makes me wonder what tourists think when they go round the UK?
"not as rude as france"?

PS I also realise we do have good people, but wish they were more plentiful.
would you be willing to pay twice as much for **** so that companies could pay highly for customer service positions and get decent staff?
Old 20 May 2004, 09:35 AM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

scoobynutta - you must be one of the people I'm describing - cause they dont recognise they're incompetent either.

Liked the 'France' quote
Old 20 May 2004, 11:29 AM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Shop assistants in the larger stores are shown videos on how to deal with customers (remembering back to my teenage Saturday job).
Maybe this should be enforced.

Marky, I agree with your points, but there are a few out there who remember that customer care counts.
I don't like the staff being over friendly though.

For a solution, I suggest someone else does the shopping for you.
Old 20 May 2004, 11:47 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Try working in retail in this country, and its not hard to see why peeps are pis**d off and have bad attitudes........ not an excuse I know, but 8 years of it is enough to put anyone off, esp working with the general public, you get every type of dick imaginable...........
Old 20 May 2004, 12:13 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

was in a certain supermarket the other day (TESCO) , and the person in front of me took the lastr bag from the bag hanger thing. so i get there and try to find a bag to put my stuff into. while i'm doing this the girl starts tipping my scanned shopping into the space where the bag should be (but obviously wasn't!). i was so surprised by her stupidity/lack of care that i literally stood back in amazement. she just carried on as if this was perfectly normal.

i have been meaning to write to tesco's about that particular store. shopping in there is a similar experience to visiting a third world country. in general i avoid using it, but it's walking distance from my house, so oocasionally i give in.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:15 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

my misses works at asda and some of the people she tells me shes met everyday who are so arrogant I swear if Id worked there I probably spark some1. think its down to the whole population as a whole rather than customer services, if they get arrogant customers then the workers aint going to be in a nice mood all day are they

its the country not companies
Old 20 May 2004, 12:17 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

it's true that working in service industry you get a lot of greif - i've done it myself. but:

if someone is polite to you, you should be also.

you are paid to provide a *service* - if you can't be *rsed, get another job.
Old 20 May 2004, 03:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Marky San: Just out of interest mate,

1. if you get good service, do you thank the person, go out of your way to tell the supervisor etc?

2. if you get poor service, do you complain?

Alcazar
Old 20 May 2004, 03:55 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=milo]

let's face it - people in the uk as a whole seem to favor cheap prices over quality customer service. as a result, firms are forced to go to the cheap labour pool, and as such dont get highly qualified, highly motivated staff.

QUOTE]

Could not agree more.

Im having a year out before i go to uni in september and in the mean time im working in a call centre.

Am i well trained? No. I dont know my **** from my elbow. Am i motivated? For minimum wage? Hell no, i really dont care, and thats the problem. The money is bad, the job is sh*t and these combine to make it a job that nobody will ever be truly motivated in, unless one of the above changes, quickly. However if you just use the most simple economics imagainable, large demand + large supply, you get a lot of unskilled, disinterested people in these jobs. Which, as it goes, are quite unbelievably mind-numbingly monotonous. The market will only ever pay you what you're worth.

So customer service will never change unless one requires a PhD to answer a phone and tell you why your mobile phone bill is so high. ''Yes Sir, Its because of the global demographic usage of the telecom industry as a whole....''

Matt
Old 20 May 2004, 04:10 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheap labour pool

I'll have you know i'm a stock technician
Old 20 May 2004, 08:05 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

Marky san
5. They **** around and take forever, when the teller in the next queue has served 5 people and your still waiting.

Just picking one of your quotes. I don't really understand the point you are making here. You seem to be saying that the other teller is actually quite good at what they do, in so doing shooting down in flames your 'theory'.

I suggest you get out more to try and clear the myopia.

Shall not bother with the rest of your quotes as they are generalisation at the extreme, and are pretty pointless as well as ignorant.