Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

towing car on trailer - tips?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2004, 09:43 AM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing car on trailer - tips?

Now I've got a towbar fitted, I want to start towing my 205 race car on a Brian James Minno type 4- wheel trailer. I'm a complete trailer virgin, so any tips etc? Does it go on with engine at the front or back? And how do you use the tie-down straps on the wheels? I really know f*ck all lol.
Old 19 May 2004, 10:21 AM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

It goes on engine first to put some nose weight on the trailer and hence the back of the towing car.

If you really know so little ask someone you know who has towed in the past (even a caravanner) to give you some advice.

Kev
Old 19 May 2004, 10:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Tip 1) Take car hitched to trailer to an empty supermarket car park and practice reversing so you don't look a tit when you need to reverse into tight spot at the track or whatever. I speak from experience DL
Old 19 May 2004, 01:40 PM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

Kev - that's why I'm asking. Thankfully I don't know any caravanners.
Old 19 May 2004, 01:45 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Get someone else to drive, saves hundreds of people gesticulating at you........
Old 19 May 2004, 02:02 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure that you never under any circumstances put the car on backwards! I did this once following a friends advice (bad mistake ) and nearly lost control of the whole thing twice when it reached about 45-50 mph I had to complete the rest of my journey at 30mph and haven't ever towed anything since

I have seen cars being loaded onto trailers backwards since but it certainly didn't work for me.
Old 19 May 2004, 02:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Oh and another thing I learnt from bitter experience. If you want to avoid a serious RTA, drivers hooting and flashing at you and some serious V signs and gesticulations then make sure you connect the cable socket in the right way round so that when you indicate left the indicator on the back of the trailer agrees with you and doesn't flash to show you are turning right
Old 20 May 2004, 10:56 AM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

thx guys! All good tips!

Watch out for a swerving loon near Brands Hatch on the 11 Jun....
Old 20 May 2004, 12:21 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Tyre pressures! Make sure there's the "Fully loaded" amount of air (at the least) in the rear tyres - might save some downhill fishtailing.

J.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:32 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

you should have a bit of space left on the minno with the 205 on- I have a minno and use it both for a clio race car and a 205 Mi16.

Make sure you tie it down properly with good quality tie-downs (I have the Brian James ones). Be careful if you use them through the wheels as they can pull geometry out. Make sure you have the safety wire attached through the towbar, not just hooked over it. Also make sure the car is in gear and the handbrake on tight.

Try on quiet roads first. You may need to experiment moving the car backwards and forwards on the trailer a bit to get the best balance. Too far back = sway. If you get a sway on the trailer at speed very gently increase your speed. do not brake as it will make the situation far worse.

If you have the car too far forward you increase the nose weight on the trailer and lower the back of the car.

My MY03 wagon doesn't like too much tail weight. I have OZ prodrive 18s (225s) on it and Prodrive springs, and the off-side arch rubvs under heavy load.

I gerenally load the clio right to the front of the trailer against the stops. I leave the 205 about 9" back and this seems to be the best balance.

However, this will depend on what you're towing with. Take it easy, and remember you have a trailer on when negotiating tight turns. Also bear in mind it takes longer to stop with a trailer, even if it is braked. Tie down both the front and the rear of the car- although you can use the winch at the front I wouldn't rely on it.

cheers,
simon
Old 20 May 2004, 06:21 PM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

thx Simon - that's exactly what I'm after and duly noted. Got rid of the bugeye, so now in a Saab 9-5 estate with self-levelling - far more practical towing propostiton I hope.
Old 20 May 2004, 06:27 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

in which case you don't want too much tail weight as it will lift the nose of the car just experiment with placement of the car on the trailer. the saab will be a fair bit heavier than the scoob so should tow nicely.

edited to add 'don't', thanks

Last edited by RRH; 20 May 2004 at 10:22 PM.
Old 20 May 2004, 07:14 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think you missed don't after "in which case you...". Not trying to be a smart **** but it is important. D
Old 20 May 2004, 08:14 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Oh and another thing I learnt from bitter experience. If you want to avoid a serious RTA, drivers hooting and flashing at you and some serious V signs and gesticulations then make sure you connect the cable socket in the right way round so that when you indicate left the indicator on the back of the trailer agrees with you and doesn't flash to show you are turning right
The plug only fits in one way
Old 20 May 2004, 09:12 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get proper wheel straps which are the best to use to be honest. they have a second loop on them that goes over the front face of the wheel and the main strap goes round the back of the wheel.

If done properly they are very good. i use 4 to hold the S1600 puma onto a brian james trailer and never had any probs. you can get away with two at the back of the car and the winch on the front if you have to but its not ideal.

you can't really be taught how to tow you just got to do it! start slow and remeber everything takes more space and more time! and yes, load it forwards and make sure you run with the correct number plate on the trailer!!!!!
Old 20 May 2004, 10:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

SB - that's what I thought, fail safe but not in my case

PS. I am sure that modern ones do, to eliminate idiots like me.
Old 20 May 2004, 10:45 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kev_turbo
It goes on engine first to put some nose weight on the trailer and hence the back of the towing car.
I have to tow my MR2 Spyder in the future (with a truck, not a Subaru). Should I load that backwards then?
Old 20 May 2004, 10:51 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Regardless of what you're towing it with I'd keep the weight forwards- if its rear or mid engine I guess that means reverse it on the trailer.
Old 20 May 2004, 10:57 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by gareth123
I have to tow my MR2 Spyder in the future (with a truck, not a Subaru). Should I load that backwards then?
Depeding on the length of your trailer just choose the best position to give some weight forward of the trailer's wheels.

Most vehicle hand books give a figure for the ideal nose weight & tyre pressures.

If the trailer has a jockey wheel put some bathroom scales under it & wind the wheel down to see what weight you are putting on the tow bar.

Mark.
Old 20 May 2004, 11:07 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Considering the truck has a 10,000lb towing capacity wouldn't it safest to put as much weight as possible on the back of truck? Overloading the truck with an MR2 isn't going to be an issue.
Old 20 May 2004, 11:30 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Most modern twin axled outfits tow best with around 75kg on the tow ball. Check the maximum permitted for your car in the handbook.

You can buy nose weight gauges but can do it easy enough using bathroom scales and a piece of wood under the tow hitch of the trailer. Ensure the bit of wood puts the trailer hitch at the hieght it would be if attached to the car.

Lee
Old 21 May 2004, 12:34 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by gareth123
Considering the truck has a 10,000lb towing capacity wouldn't it safest to put as much weight as possible on the back of truck? Overloading the truck with an MR2 isn't going to be an issue.
You are missing the point.

The 10,000 lbs towing capacity is the forward pull that the truck can cope with.

If you put 10,000 lbs vertically down on the tow bar I think you will find something will give way.

I have towed some huge loads with four wheel drive tractors that far exceed your 10,000 lbs but put too much weight on the tow hitch & it will snap.

Mark.

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 21 May 2004 at 12:40 AM.
Old 21 May 2004, 12:44 AM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
You are missing the point.

I have towed some huge loads with four wheel drive tractors that far exceed your 10,000 lbs but put too much weight on the tow hitch & it will snap.
LOL. I got the point. I wasn't planning on balancing the MR2 on it's nose to get as much weight on the back of the truck as possible.

Last edited by gareth123; 21 May 2004 at 01:36 AM.
Old 21 May 2004, 11:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As so many have said, the vital thing is to load the trailer such that the trailer is nose heavy. Tail heavy will be grossly unstable and is likely to lead to serious loss of control with the tail "wagging the dog". It does not need to be very nose heavy however so not necessary to put a great weight on the back end of the towing car.

The other bit is to learn how to steer the trailer when you are reversing. It is tricky until you get used to it. If you want the trailer to move towards your offside while reversing you need to start with some left lock and then use right lock as soon as the trailer is turning as you want it to. Best to practice initially in a good sized space.

Les