Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Sign the contract and potentially shaft my current employer?
75.00%
Be honest, come clean, and potentially lose out on both jobs?
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Job Dilemma - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2004, 12:11 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job Dilemma - advice needed

Hi,

Some of you may remember that I was made redundant last year from Dixons. Life has been full of ups and downs since then.

However, having finally got sick of me living off her, the Wife finally forced me into getting a job (more precisely making much more effort to find one).

For the last few weeks I have been temping at a local firm to me. The job is a 'temp to perm' position. Last week the boss asked me what I felt about the job, place, people and so on. I sounded very positive about all of this (which I am). He said that he was positive too and would sort out an interview 'soon'.

In the meantime, and unbeknownst to him I have been attending other interviews also.

Basically earlier this week, he arranged an interview for Thursday am. By the end of the day I had an offer then a contract in my hand. I said that I would take it away and read it, then sign it. Friday he was not in the office.

Friday pm I had a first interview for a different job at another place. I was sceptical at first, but by the end of it I felt really keen.

Now my problem is that I am expected to hand in a signed contract asap. However, although I would perfectly happily do this job, the other one seems better. Both jobs have their plus and minus points, but basically with either one I would be happy.

I would like to have offers from both in front of me and simply then make a choice, however I will not find out if I even have a second interview until at least Tuesday. Then I will have to go and see the MD, then they make a decision, hopefully by the end of the week.

In the meantime, my existing boss could start thinking that I am not interested in the job, just get upset, and tell me to 'Do one', as they have other candidates waiting and such like.

Basically I feel that I should sign the contract and give it to him asap, then see what happens with the other job. If they offer it to me and I want it, then simply treat it like I am handing in my notice on my existing job, having done it as a permanent staff member for a week!

Is there any alternative to this? I would feel that I am acting dishonourably. Is this just a fact of life these days? After my experience last year should I also have the attitude of **** all of them? Should I try to be honest with my boss and explain the situation to him? Could I end up with nothing at all and being out on my ear?

Advice and voting appreciated.

Thanks.

Asif
Old 17 May 2004, 12:18 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Asif, why is the second job more appealing??

Money, nice birds, location, nice birds, prospects, nice birds, security, nice birds???

My advice is to work at the place with fitter birds!!!

no, seriously, if you like where you are temping, and the people seem fair, then stay.
you might well walk into a company full of "drop you in it" *********, as several people on here have recently experienced!!!

if you are happy, stay put and put a bit more service on the CV.

how old are you??

whatever you chose, good luck.

BB
Old 17 May 2004, 11:22 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

LOL at BB!

Not the most responded to poll in the World, but hey ho.

The place I am at now actually has a huge number of fit birds (as a % of heads in the place)

The second job would have been closer to what I was doing before, more money, but also much more responsibility etc and yes stress too.

Right here I have a very easy time of it, the company is truly global with lots of opportunities abroad (which I quite fancy) the people are very good, esp the team I work with, and the job is a piece of **** to do. I come in at nine, have coffee and gas for about an hour or so, then do a bit of work, plenty of breaks etc and generally leave at 5.30. They are very close to my house and in June will halve that distance by moving offices even closer to me. And for all that they pay very well indeed and seem very grateful to me too.

So either way I would be very happy, the other place is a very well known company, growing, with serious progression opportunities, the main attraction is that I would be back in management with a eye for further moves in the not too distant future.

Have managed to stall the boss for another day or so and we will have to see.

Asif
Old 17 May 2004, 11:54 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

"Basically I feel that I should sign the contract and give it to him asap, then see what happens with the other job. If they offer it to me and I want it, then simply treat it like I am handing in my notice on my existing job, having done it as a permanent staff member for a week!"

This is the correct course of action - Would it be any different to handing in your notice after a year?