Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

any pilots on here?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2004, 08:03 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question any pilots on here?

I have been told by a friend that it is common practice for light air craft pilots to ferry people around the country in order to keep their flying hours up so to keep their pilots licence, whereby the passanger pays part or all of the cost of the flight.
Assuming hes not just winding me up! I want to fly from Liverpool / Manchester to Dover/ Folkstone on Thursday or Friday to pick my new car up. Can anyone help, or know anyone who may be able to help?

Thanks, Rob.
Old 16 May 2004, 09:19 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Yep my mate does some "unnecessary" flights but to france for beer and vino - no idea if thats to keep his pilots licence. Thought that was just for commercial pilots but I could be wrong.

Wouldnt it be cheaper to train it from Liverpool to Manc then fly to Gatwick and get another train to Dover/Folkes ?
Old 16 May 2004, 09:38 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

When I went to Oz with a couple of mates, we got a flight over Sydney and up the coast based on the same principle, but that was with a friend of a friend I would imagine the same sort of set-up works over here I must admit, it's a novel way of getting down there
Old 16 May 2004, 11:40 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.
Im not having much luck getting info on flying in a light air craft suprisingly!
Looked into flying to gatwick, but I still have to get 2 trains after that, so I may just train it all the way. Bit putt off about having to get the tube though, sounds a bit complicated.
My other option is to drive down in the old banger Im driving round in at the moment and dump it at a scrap yard in folkstone area! then drive my new scoob back!

If anyone has any other suggestions, then please let me know.
Thanks again! Rob.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:15 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Rob, you don't even want to consider the landing fees at Gatwick...

Take a train all the way. By far the easiest option, and the cheapest too. The tube is a piece of ease if you can handle reading a colour coded map...

SB
Old 17 May 2004, 12:20 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

travel light hand hitch a lift all the way down. think about the people you will meet on ya travel and the fun in risking it.

Ray
Old 17 May 2004, 12:25 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
Rob, you don't even want to consider the landing fees at Gatwick...

Take a train all the way. By far the easiest option, and the cheapest too. The tube is a piece of ease if you can handle reading a colour coded map...

SB
Well in a private plane he wouldn;t need to land at Gatwick! Could go to Lydd or Marston, and I assume there are some small private strips near Dover/Folkestone too.

Mind you posting the request on a pilots type board would possibly be more succesful!

Trending Topics

Old 17 May 2004, 01:20 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

buy a cheap cheap car and burn it, burn it allllll
Cost ya £50 to take it to a scrappy
Old 17 May 2004, 07:59 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

May just go on the train/ tube then, seeing as Im not colour blind!
My current car is a 1988 1.3 309! so no quarms about scrapping that, oh how I miss having a scoob!!
Thanks anyway everyone,
Rob.

BTW, do you know how hard it it to get on one of those pilots forums, they are more fussy than scoobynet, you need a pilots number, then approval from the mods before you can post, obviously I have neither!

Last edited by rob oneill; 17 May 2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old 17 May 2004, 09:53 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

What about renting a car ?

You can do one way rentals with Hertz ?
Old 17 May 2004, 09:54 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

i work with a guy who has a licence, but he's on hols at the moment so thats no good to ya is it.

get's coat and leaves room as there was no point in posting this really.

or u could Get ur thumbs working and hitch a ride down there mate
Old 17 May 2004, 10:11 PM
deanimus
Scooby Regular

Have you tried registering on pprune.com?
I haven't been there in a while so not sure if you need a pilots lisence to register.
Old 18 May 2004, 08:36 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you tried registering on pprune.com?
Nope you don't need a license
Old 18 May 2004, 11:50 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob oneill
I have been told by a friend that it is common practice for light air craft pilots to ferry people around the country in order to keep their flying hours up so to keep their pilots licence, whereby the passanger pays part or all of the cost of the flight.
Assuming hes not just winding me up! I want to fly from Liverpool / Manchester to Dover/ Folkstone on Thursday or Friday to pick my new car up. Can anyone help, or know anyone who may be able to help?

Thanks, Rob.
It would be far more cost effective to take a train as the cost of GA aircraft is prohibitive. It usually costs me around £120.00 per hour block to block but doesn't include landing fees so it's a costly business plus you have to factor in the weather which may prohibit the flight as most PPLs (myself included) only have a VFR rating which has various visibility/distance requirements as opposed to an IFR rating which allows you to fly in almost all low visibility conditions.

As for ferrying passengers, provided it's not for hire or reward you can split the costs with your passengers provided you pay your share although it's a bit of a grey area in terms of provability by the CAA, but from a pilot's point of view not worth the risk.

You'll get the same answer on PPRuNe if you post in the Questions forum, so as others have said take the train.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:18 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Our MD used to fly Harriers and even wrote a book about his squadron and learning how to fly at the time the unknown harrier.

He has no interest in cars and hence doesn't own anything posh. However the car he does own does not have one panel without some sort of dent, gouge, scrape etc...

Top bloke but how he was responsible for something as complex as a harrier is beyond me