Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

deja vu

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2004, 10:49 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deja vu

This is something that has puzzled me since I was a teenager at school. Im not sure it is even deja-vu or something else.

This hasnt happened for sometime but i had an occurence last night.

When I was at secondary school, I used to suffer from remembering doing things before I actually did them. Simple things from walking over drain covers in a certain way, to repeating lessons in real life.

A few years ago, had a episode in a car in respect to a near miss that i had recognised in memory. exact scenario colurs faces the whole works.

It is allmost like history repeating itself. but it isnt history its just memories or dreams. But when the moment happens in real life I get a feeling of being hit by a lump of wood.

Last night I was walking to a japanese restaurant in Barcelona (never been here before). And when i walked into the japanese restaurant I recognised the decor and the interieor almost from a postcard.

has anybody else gone through anything similiar, do i need to see a doctor ?. This used to happen all the time when I was younger on a almost weekly occurence from walking down a street to turning a light switch on, converstations, meeting new people. Almost like I had seen a movie of my life before it actually happened.
Old 14 May 2004, 10:55 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I get the same! Not very often though and usually minor things like 'remembering' driving down a particular road that I know I've never driven before or, like you say, walking down the street or into a shop. Wierd stuff. some might argue it's flashbacks from a previous life or just great co-incidences. I guess no-one really knows.
Old 14 May 2004, 10:58 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Ive had several experiences like this, I reckon the Matrix is almost true
Old 14 May 2004, 11:01 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Maybe it's time to get a brain scan done !
Old 14 May 2004, 12:25 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

i used to get that, but not so much anymore.

it's a simple case of your brain having two sides. one side is quicker than the other, and on occasion, MUCH quicker, in that it receives all the information from what you've seen and processes it BEFORE the other side of the brain realises you've even seen it. when the other side of the brain does start to process the information, it's already been processed by the first side... and as such you feel like it's happened before.

that's EXACTLY what deja vu is, nothing more.
Old 14 May 2004, 12:55 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
i used to get that, but not so much anymore.

it's a simple case of your brain having two sides. one side is quicker than the other, and on occasion, MUCH quicker, in that it receives all the information from what you've seen and processes it BEFORE the other side of the brain realises you've even seen it. when the other side of the brain does start to process the information, it's already been processed by the first side... and as such you feel like it's happened before.

that's EXACTLY what deja vu is, nothing more.

Why then is it that I can wake up having had a dream and think, that was quite strange..... never going to happen! Then some months later that occurs exactly as I remember it. I can see what you're saying but this happens to me quite often..... maybe 3 times a year.
Old 14 May 2004, 01:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm so tempted to reply "SIAL" to this...

I always remember a biological explanation being buried somewhere in Catch-22, but (ironically) can't remember where, and don't intend re-reading the book just to find a line and a half. Probably something like what milo's written above.
Old 14 May 2004, 04:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Happens all the time to many people. Not worth worrying about, ignore it and get on with the rest of life.

Les
Old 14 May 2004, 05:29 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I get the same! Not very often though and usually minor things like 'remembering' driving down a particular road that I know I've never driven before or, like you say, walking down the street or into a shop. Wierd stuff. some might argue it's flashbacks from a previous life or just great co-incidences. I guess no-one really knows.

Old 14 May 2004, 05:31 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro

Old 14 May 2004, 05:41 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro

pmsl... very clever
Old 14 May 2004, 05:43 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Why then is it that I can wake up having had a dream and think, that was quite strange..... never going to happen! Then some months later that occurs exactly as I remember it. I can see what you're saying but this happens to me quite often..... maybe 3 times a year.
because you never had the dream. it's what you saw months later, with the two sides of the brain as id explained above. your own mind rationalizes it, and you persuade yourself that you had a dream some months ago.

try this for an experiement... as SOON as you wake up each morning, write down every dream you remember, along with the date. when you think you have one of these deja vu dream experiences, consult your dream log and see if it's actually in there. because i guarantee it won't be.
Old 14 May 2004, 05:47 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I have heard the split brain running at different speeds before, but this can be months if not years apart. But I suppose it could just be a difference in what the brain things is a long term memory to what just happened a split second ago.

I remember having a repeated dream of walking down a street with a friend having a converstation and looking into a card shop window to see a gorgeus looking out. I had this dream many times, the dream stops then the following summer it happens exactly as I remember it, could of been the split brain thing, but I talked to the friend included in the dream about it before the event actually happened.

weird

Im not bothered by it at all, freaks me out occasionaly like the near car accident. but it certainly doesnt affect my life in anyway, just find it a bit weird when it happens.
Old 14 May 2004, 05:50 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

@ Dracoro, if you'd left the wink off it would have been even more effective...
Old 14 May 2004, 06:54 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Just trying to be inclusive some wouldn't have got it
Old 14 May 2004, 11:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

happens to me quite strongly,but its not just once, the "event" when it happens, seams like ive dreamt about it numerous times and not just the once (who does that get explained with the 2 halfs of the brain thereoy?)

i can also rember when i was a child i had this vivid dream/nitemare which scared the **** out of me, then i had the exact same dream again, but at the cruicial moment i allready knew what was going to happen, and told the nasty vampire bird what was going to happen, which changed the story to suit me, which was nice lol

i can still rember what i said
"i know which ones of you lot are vampires, because ive had this dream before!
Old 15 May 2004, 12:11 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

deja vu saved my life (or at least a spell in hospital), when i was a kid me and my neighbour used to **** around swing out of a tree on a piece of rope off a branch that overhung a road. used to be very stupid and swing out in front of approaching cars (rope was set up so we missed the roof by a few inches).
*really ******* thick i know, but i was young and dumb*

anyways,one day i was wainting ready to pounce and had a flash of hitting a car while swinging on the rope, i backed off climbed down the tree to see the branch the rope was tied to break away from the tree to be promptly run over by the car.

i kid you not, no bull**** and i've never had deja vu/premonition or whatever you want it call it since. maybe there's something in it? spooky