Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

WR1 detector/satnav

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2004, 08:29 PM
sumo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WR1 detector/satnav

In common with a lot of others, I am waiting for news on delivery on my WR1. While waiting I am looking at camera/radar/laser detectors, does anyone know if it is possible to buy a combined detector/satnav device as presumably they both use the same satellites?
Old 13 May 2004, 09:07 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

You'll need to go with a palmtop with SatNav software and download speedcamera positions from places on the web. Have a look for Pocket GPS World on the web, lots of help and ideas there.

I went for a StreetPilot 2610, which is a good machine, but putting cameras on it is a bit of a pain - i.e. not just a download from the web. A palmtop is also a lot cheaper, but I prefered a the idea of a dedicated Sat Nav. Pays your money........

Last edited by supertouring; 13 May 2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 13 May 2004, 09:40 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Origin B2 has a GPS position output. The origin does the speed camera bit and you plug the GPS position into something like an ipaq which then only needs to be running autoroute or whatever. Saves the GPS sleeve bit you usually need to add to an ipaq to do the GPS bit.
Old 14 May 2004, 09:54 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Check out http://www.smartnav.com...I've had this fitted to my last 4 Scoobs...very good!!!

No screen...no need to struggle trying to type in your location/destination....just press a button and get straight through to an operator who will ask you nicely where you want to go....he/she will then download the route to your car and then the directions will be spoken to you throughout the journey...being past of the Trafficmaster family the system will also automatically reroute you following traffic jams/RTA's during the journey...

As an add on there is a Speed Camera and accident blackspot system that alerts you to all the live cameras etc...

The downside is that there is not laser detectors...the the rest of the system is excellent!!

Rum*

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Origin B2 has a GPS position output. The origin does the speed camera bit and you plug the GPS position into something like an ipaq which then only needs to be running autoroute or whatever. Saves the GPS sleeve bit you usually need to add to an ipaq to do the GPS bit.
Old 14 May 2004, 12:31 PM
Clive the Brave
Scooby Regular

I went for the Origin B2 and the lrc100 jammer and have never looked back.
I feel now that I have some quality pretection for me and my baby when excersizing my right foot.
Looks small, tidy and just what the docter ordered.

Clive
Old 14 May 2004, 02:42 PM
SUBAMAN300+
Scooby Newbie

I've seen many threads on this topic and they are all helpful, this one especially as I've also been thinking for some time that must be sensible to combine a satnav system with updatable warning of all static cameras / blackspots etc. However, when it comes to laser everyone needs to understand that any form of 'detector' is simply useless and may only serve to give the user a false sence of security. To explain: 1) A laser is a beam only about as wide as a pencil (end on) and the operator (mr plod) usually aims it at your car numberplate as that is the most reflective surface on the car. Therefore a 'detector' on your windscreen will not even detect it unless you are lucky to pick up some laser scatter from a car in front. 2) a laser gun calibrates your speed in about 0.2 of a second so even if your detector sees it and alerts you, you have already been clocked before you can react - so basically it will just be telling you there is going to be a nasty letter in the post or you are about to have a little discussion with plod up ahead. Accordingly, any form of camera detectors either via gps or pure radar detector are fine but must be complemented by a laser jammer (remote garage door opener) in order give you the full cover. Also, of course, pure radar detectors dont pick up some types of cameras anyway eg tuvelo / cyclops etc, so they not that helpful anymore and thats why you really need a gps device that can be constantly upgraded via info from the web. Hope that all helps.
Old 14 May 2004, 02:50 PM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Cool

Ive got an hp2210 pocket pc with bluetooth tom tom navigator and I've put the speed camera database on it with checkpoint. Works a treat both as a sat nav and speed camera warning system, hasn't missed a camera yet.
Old 19 May 2004, 07:01 PM
sumo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for you input everyone, loads to think about..........Sumo.