Registering with a GP

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2004, 08:59 AM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering with a GP

Morning all,

Thought I would ask and see if anyone on SN knows the general policy before I ask the grumpy woman at the doctors and she gives me a killer stare

About a year and a half ago I relocated to live with my girlfriend but up to this point have never seen the need to register with a GP. I was registered with a GP in my previous area but hadnt visited in a good 10 years.

Anyhow, now I find myself with a really annoying cough which try as I might no amount of pouring disgusting liquids down my neck seems to shift, has been like that for a week or so now so im guessing it may be an idea to see a doctor.

Does anybody know what the general policy is regarding new patients and if you can generally get an appointment sooner rather than later?

Ta

David
Old 13 May 2004, 09:37 AM
doh ray me
Scooby Newbie

depends on your local practice - some insist on the doctor seeing you anyway as part of the registration process.

waiting for an appointment, now that's an entirely different matter!
Old 13 May 2004, 09:43 AM
HappyChristmas
Scooby Newbie

Providing your local practice is accepting new patients then there shouldn't be a problem. They will probably want you to have a "new patient" appointment (mine was with the practice nurse) but as you are ill you should be offered an appointment with a GP before this takes place.

A similar thing happened to me, I got an appointment with the GP the same day with the registration appointment the following week with the practice nurse.

Long waits for appointments are (or should be) a thing of the past, all practices are working towards a target of offering patients an appointment with a healthcare professional within 24 hours (not neccesarily a GP) or a GP within 48. This is why a lot of practices only allow you to book on the day and not weeks ahead.

Bit long winded - but hope this helps !
Old 13 May 2004, 10:50 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Shouldn't be a problem as said above. They will ask for your records (well ask for your previous doctor so they can get them sent) so make sure you have the name and address of your last surgery. If you haven't visited your previous surgery for ages then the records may have been sent elsewhere for storage but they should sort that out.

Usually you have to book with the nurse to have a general checkup, oh and I think you'll have to have proof of local address (utility bill with your name on etc)
Old 13 May 2004, 10:51 AM
djuk
Scooby Regular

All sorted suprisingly quickly! Went down to the surgery this morning, filled out a few forms regarding previous address, previous doctor, medical history etc and have an appointment this afternoon at 4pm - impressed
Old 13 May 2004, 12:21 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Thats pretty good.

My b/f registered at the doctors 2 weeks ago and is waiting for an 'interview'.

But then my local health authority is rubbish (I am registered at my old Docs 90 miles away as I know I get good service, before you say anything, I know this is wrong (yes I am mad)).