Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

will oil reserves run out in our lifetime ??

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2004, 12:20 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will oil reserves run out in our lifetime ??

Ive been doing some quick research this lunchtime on Published / Known oil reserves and using some figures from a university on yearly continent barrel usage I have calculated at the current rate we have 43 years left !!!.

Now obviously this doesnt take account for new field discoveries or usage increases / decreases.

Do you feel guilty for not driving a card that does 50+ MPG ???. Should we be lobbying countries with excessive barrel usage (America).

scary stuff, you can see why the US wanted control of the output from Iraq now !!!.
Old 12 May 2004, 12:40 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

One of the more serious aspects is not that petrol will run out, because no doubt vehicle technology will move on to fill the gap, with vehicles priced similarly to current prices, but that other products such as nylon and plastics, that are used in virtually every consumer good, will also need to be manufactured from some other base material. Clothing etc. could get more expensive. Stock up on cheap rucksacks, tents, etc. while you can
Old 12 May 2004, 12:43 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Smile

Do you think this will stop Elmer sending up space ships to see there are wee green men on Mars?
Old 12 May 2004, 12:44 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

US has 22 billion barrels of recoverable oil reserves, and are using fuel at a rate of 6 billion barrels a year Currently they import half their oil needs, so they will run out in approx 7 years.

At the current rate, yes we will run out of oil in our lifetime.
Old 12 May 2004, 01:16 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

Angry

Even with the new technology for getting at previously tapped out wells, we will still run out of oil or see vastly reduced production in the next 30 years or so. Natural Gas isn't much better either.

But we'll have lots of renewable energy sources by then, won't we, so we shouldn't worry.
Old 12 May 2004, 03:59 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

Just think, it took millions of years to make that oil, and we've gone and blown it in about 200 years!

same with coal! but thats another debate!
Old 12 May 2004, 04:05 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

There are a lot of folks who can't understand how they came to have an oil shortage in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer: Nobody bothered to check the oil. They just didn't know they were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical. All the oil is in Alaska, Texas, California, and Oklahoma. But all the dipsticks are in Washington, D.C.
Old 12 May 2004, 05:04 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vonzack
Even with the new technology for getting at previously tapped out wells, we will still run out of oil or see vastly reduced production in the next 30 years or so. Natural Gas isn't much better either.

But we'll have lots of renewable energy sources by then, won't we, so we shouldn't worry.
Less supply & the same or greater demand = pay megabucks for it, if you can get it. Bio-fuels are one answer but how much can you produce?

J.
Old 12 May 2004, 05:17 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Yes, it is a very good point. Mention oil, and most people think of petrol. However, this is one just one use. Oil is used in so much plastic production. We are as dependent on plastics as we are petrol!
Old 12 May 2004, 05:39 PM
Benno
Scooby Regular

Having trouble picturing a solar powered, electric motor driven scooby myself. For a start you would lose the flat four burble.
Old 12 May 2004, 06:26 PM
BishopDevious
Scooby Regular

Location: Dancing on my intercooler saying 'owch'. Paint me pink and spank my ar$e, GIVE ME CURRY AND MILK
Smile I am going to enjoy it while it lasts & keep driving the scooby!

My mate works in the oil business (and also a scooby driver). We were talking about this the other week. Picture the future...

'Daddy where did the oil go?'

'Well son, see that photo of my old car....'
Old 12 May 2004, 06:36 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

I dont think theres to much to worry about,when it happens it happens!! MPs preach to everyone to be greener etc,but do we see them getting rid of there big petrol guzzling cars??
Old 12 May 2004, 06:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattsan
I dont think theres to much to worry about,when it happens it happens!!
Yeah, stick you head in the sand like the majority

Greedy selfish bunch
Old 12 May 2004, 06:41 PM
bazzaa
Scooby Regular

What a bunch of fantasists, new oil well discoveries are predicted and estimates are another 400 years at least of oil, and as for coal, coal is the cheapest and must abundant fuel in the world

So i guess petrol will always be available in our generation, also coal fired power stations
Old 12 May 2004, 06:46 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bazzaa
So i guess petrol will always be available in our generation, also coal fired power stations
1 generation? Out of how many previous ones, and how many future ones? Milions of years to create it, and all gone in under 200 years...

Do you NEVER feel guilty about that?
Old 12 May 2004, 06:47 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

IMHO the reason that we are still using 100 year old technology ie petrol engines, is simple. The giant corporations, more or less run the world in a roundabout way, so they hold back new technologies ie, fuel cells, battery technology, etc, to keep ther billions of dollars rolling in. T.V. was invented roughly 30 years after the car, yet there is no comparison between John Logie Bairds tv, and a wall hung tft tv of today. Why? because there's not billions to be made by holding back that technology! Telephones, again, the same reasons apply.
dave
Old 12 May 2004, 06:56 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

What a lot of twaddle.
There is no global conspiracy going on. Technology is moving forward VERY fast.
thanks for that fascinating reply mate!!
One day perhaps you'll wake up to what's really going on around you!!
dave
Old 12 May 2004, 07:03 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you NEVER feel guilty about that?
are u serious ?? we didn't make the status quo we just live in it , what are we supposed to do ?, live in the mountains in a cave ?
Old 12 May 2004, 07:07 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
are u serious ?? we didn't make the status quo we just live in it , what are we supposed to do ?, live in the mountains in a cave ?
Have I ever suggested a prehistoric existance?

No, just conservation.

Steps you can take :

a) walk to get the local shops instead of driving
b) make your kids walk to school
c) don't use new plastic bags at the supermarket every time
d) recycle all you can
e) try and justify every journey as necessary if there are alternatives that are nearly as good

Every little helps.
Old 12 May 2004, 07:07 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Where did he's reply go???

I have just had a look on 't' tinternet and found this!!!
For many writers – like www.rense.com's Diane Harvey – the corruption of American empire is relevant, but only as a sidebar. The real problem stems from two incontrovertible facts: that reserves of oil and other non-renewable resources will someday run out, and that on its current course, the Earth is soon to become overloaded with people. If these twin problems go unaddressed, our species faces a gloomy fate. As the situation gets worse, governance in the traditional mode, based around at least the pretense of liberal democracy, will become impossible. Instead, naked power grabs will become the norm for wealthy elites capable of mounting them. "The people"'s job will be simply to provide money and labor for the war machines that make these imperial conquests possible; those who aspire to a role in their own governance beyond subsidizing imperial expansion will be brutally repressed.

Harvey and others feel that such a global transformation has already begun, and episodes like September 11 and the U.S. government's bizarre obsession with oil-laden Iraq are among its harbingers. But, you say, oil supplies look fine from where you sit. According to hard-on-the-eyes website, www.dieoff.org, the problem won't manifest itself all at once, when the world's oil wells suddenly dry up. It is instead happening incrementally, because the rate of production has started to lag behind the world's increasing demand. Among numerous cases in point, www.dieoff.org cites "The Coming Anarchy," an Atlantic Monthly article describing intolerable government repression in the long-neglected region of sub-Saharan Africa. Such will be the harvest of empire for our overextended world: warlordism, brutal dictatorships that verge on chaos – death, and in vast quantities. I don't know whether these predictions will come to pass. But after this past year, I find the possibility an awful lot easier to imagine (29).
dave

Last edited by misty; 12 May 2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12 May 2004, 07:10 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Have I ever suggested a prehistoric existance?

No, just conservation.

Steps you can take :

a) walk to get the local shops instead of driving
b) make your kids walk to school
c) don't use new plastic bags at the supermarket every time
d) recycle all you can
e) try and justify every journey as necessary if there are alternatives that are nearly as good

Every little helps.
but why should i feel guilty ??
Old 12 May 2004, 07:37 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With all due respect to those concerned, there have been many scares based on spurious projections, which have predicted oil would run out within x years and erm.... it didn't happen.

Lifted from the web -
In 1874, the state geologist of Pennsylvania, the nation’s leading oil-producing state, estimated that only enough U.S. oil remained to keep the nation’s kerosene lamps burning for *four years*.

More here from the US National Center for Policy Analysis
http://www.ncpa.org/pub/bg/bg159/index.html#a

Suresh
Old 12 May 2004, 07:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

It does no harm to conserve.
It IS a finite resource.
Old 12 May 2004, 07:53 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

if coal is everywhere why is there no (or not many) pits left in britain?

I live in st.helens, there used to be quite a few coal mines, and how many is there now?

Yes, part of it cause of the strike. (but don't get me started on that and i was only 10!)
Old 12 May 2004, 07:54 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Having trouble picturing a solar powered, electric motor driven scooby myself. For a start you would lose the flat four burble.
I'll have a V8 rumble in mine. Its an optional extra sampled sound you can order when you buy your toyota prius 3.
Old 12 May 2004, 07:58 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by julian N/W wrx my93
if coal is everywhere why is there no (or not many) pits left in britain?

I live in st.helens, there used to be quite a few coal mines, and how many is there now?

Yes, part of it cause of the strike. (but don't get me started on that and i was only 10!)
There is still a fair amount of coal in the UK, but it's not economic to mine given the cheap coal available from elsewhere....
Old 12 May 2004, 07:59 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

We closed all the pits to conserve the coal. Now we're using up other peoples fossil fuels. When they're run out the coal we have left will be worth a fortune. That's my conspiracy theory anyway.
Old 12 May 2004, 08:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Why not use it up?

Technology will give us another way of transport - oil is cheap (it may not look like it, but it IS!) - thats why we all use it!

As it gets expensive then the Oil Companies will seek out those reserves that are not economic at the moment - that could unleash another 50 years or so.

At the end of the day, if my offspring and my grandchildren can enjoy the motoring pleasure, then I am afraid to say I have nothing to say about what happens after - I will be long dead and forgotten!

Why should the drivers of today suffer for the drivers of tomorrow?

Pete
Old 12 May 2004, 08:18 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I am afraid to say I have nothing to say about what happens after - I will be long dead and forgotten!

Why should the drivers of today suffer for the drivers of tomorrow?

Pete
It's about conservation not unwarranted gluttony
Old 12 May 2004, 08:21 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

If it's going to run out anyway, what's the point of conserving it?

It's not like the Ozone Layer, or rainforests, which can regenerate if we leave them alone...

Quick Reply: will oil reserves run out in our lifetime ??