Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2004, 10:58 PM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear

Just watched the episode tonight and was wondering if anyone else thinks that it really has passed it's sell by date.

Same old Clarkson, who as an TV entertainer is OK, but has little cred as a motoring journalist anymore, que exploding caravan, sorry Christmas video. His side kick Richard Hammond, small to Clarksons tall, the perfect foil, who looked promising when on Men and Motors, which at least concentrated on some form of car content rather than a pointless race to the south of France, which proved nothing. Don't try this at home kids because the Gendarmes WILL pull you not wave you on, me thinks the BBC camera car and a bit of fore-planning might have helped the situation somewhat. And.. err.. some other guy, who took over from the fat fellow.

They haven't ever had the decency to start a new Star in a decent priced car challenge, just the same thing all over again.
Old 09 May 2004, 11:07 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

yep, seems a bit stale. but from a point of view from someone who works in TV & Film,...why change something that works, and who else would you employ on a motoring magazine show, whatched by millions, to bring in the viewers.

Basically Clarkson will have demanded at least a 10% increase this year and the budget is probably still the same as last year, if not less

these gits are bleeding our industry dry.. 65% of budget goes on presenters/actors wages.

Phil
Old 10 May 2004, 10:28 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

As mentioned in the other thread - would you prefer it t0 return to the 5th Gear style? I think not. Filling an hour with just car tests is going to be pretty boring. At least they try to take a slightly different angle on things. As Phil says, if it ain't broke, why fix it? I think they will need to change things for the next series, but at the moment, I reckon they are OK.

Chris
Old 10 May 2004, 11:39 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I thought last night's Exige feature was quite cool, and what a damn fine car, me want!!!
Old 10 May 2004, 11:45 AM
n one
Scooby Regular

Why do they (the presenters) always `try` to be funny. They`re not.
As I know the little fella, Richard Hammond, he`s not funny. Half the programme is diluted nonesense utter sh£te. The other half of the programme is sometimes quite good. Only sometimes though.

Old 10 May 2004, 12:18 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep I think it makes a change to the test drive. test drive and another test drive format, its nothing if not entertaining! Self-indulgent, extravagant and pointless at times maybe but good TV all the same!

Wow did the DB9 rock or did it rock?

Yes and richard hammond is annoying, he would have been the little gawky kid at school who you would have lumped just because you could!
Old 12 May 2004, 09:50 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Before we get too critical...
Who do you want instead then?
Think of anyone better?

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2004, 05:03 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Sorry I disagree, topgear IMHO is superb, still excellent entertainment.
Old 13 May 2004, 06:09 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

I thought it was an excellent programme,thoroughly entertaining.I think those 3 have really clicked and i wouldnt be surprised if their viewing figures continue to grow
Old 13 May 2004, 07:16 AM
Cobreth
Scooby Regular

Wow.. I'd give an arm and a leg to be able to watch Top Gear since I'm from the States. Maybe it's different when you can watch it at your leisure, but every episode I've had the opportunity to download has left me in awe. I wish the United States had a decent car show, let alone two car shows with excellent hosts, budgets, and talented cameramen.

If someone were to regularly record Top Gear onto their computer and set up a .torrent, there would be many happy Americans! Either that or tell somebody at BBC America to get their act together and give us Top Gear!

-Matt

PS - I loved last Sunday's Top Gear, even though I had to download it in three installments and still only got about 75% of the show!
Old 13 May 2004, 09:06 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

It's the only programme I make a point of watching, I watch a lot of other stuff as well obviously but it's mostly just catching whats on. 8pm sunday is topgear.
It's entertaining.
Which is how I like my TV.
Old 13 May 2004, 09:10 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

JKJ2, here is where TV has the chance to show-off it's biggest asset: The OFF button...

Read a magazine instead. I hear Top Gear Magazine is quite good...
Old 13 May 2004, 09:14 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

question for the critics - would you rather watch a re-run of F1 on Sunday evenings? See - TG isn't THAT boring
Old 13 May 2004, 09:19 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

I enjoyed top gear sunday too.... Its a bit different to the usual car stuff. Also I like Clarkson, he shares similar views on things to me
Old 13 May 2004, 09:35 AM
doh ray me
Scooby Newbie

well, I always enjoy Top Gear

it makes a refreshing change from other crap that's on
Old 13 May 2004, 12:18 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Top gear / Clarkson lost a lot of credibility after watching one of his videos. It is the one where the R1 raced the Porsche and the WRC Focus / Mondeo / F1 car. Those videos were clumsily edited to produce the required dramatic results.
Pointless
Old 14 May 2004, 01:00 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Taff107
Top gear / Clarkson lost a lot of credibility after watching one of his videos. It is the one where the R1 raced the Porsche and the WRC Focus / Mondeo / F1 car. Those videos were clumsily edited to produce the required dramatic results.
Pointless
I've not seen that.

I do like top gear though. It is after all, the only 'car' programme on TV (as channel 5 don't bleedin' work)... and I enjoy it every week.