Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2004, 02:34 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any auto electricians on ere?

renault espace 1995

batt light on dash not illuminating, car batt going flat whilst driving

removed dash cluster found batt light, traced the wire on connector that gos to instrument cluster and batt light,
the wire is a plain white it is an earth untill the ign switched on then its nothing.
now i would presume that normally as the light go's out once started that earth should only go off once engine started.
tried a perm earth to the connector for batt light, it illuminated with ign on but failed to go off once engine started, i presume thats just due to the perminant earth i connected as i am under the assumption its the earth circuit that makes the light turn off once started, (same with oil light etc etc)

i have not got a volt meter so cannot test if charging at the batt whilst running, but as car dies etc and wipers slow when running i am presuming it is not

the alternator looks a right fookin coont to remove so dont want to take off and send in for inspection repair just yet ( also it looks almost brand new)

WERE DO I START???
Old 09 May 2004, 02:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Almost certainly an alternator fault.

Take it to an auto-electrics place, ON the car. They can test it's output in situ, and advise you of your best course of action.

Takes about 15 mins.

Alcazar
Old 09 May 2004, 02:51 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Agree alternator fault.

Normaly the regulator/
Old 09 May 2004, 02:56 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

oh thanks ok me bieng a dumb ****** was thinking wasnt that due to batt light not comin on etc etc, but spose that wire must be connected to alternator somewere down the line
Old 09 May 2004, 03:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Normally the light comes on if the alternator is NOT charging. However it is possible for it to go the other way. Could be a bad connection at the alternator end...check the connections for corrosion.

Thinking about it...it's a renualt- you won't be able to get near it (I think)

Splash out and buy a multimeter
Old 09 May 2004, 03:28 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

lol your right there looks a reet fookin coont to remove, think ill pay the joey nipper up the yard 20 quid to remove and refit

although yes i must get myself a multimeter
Old 09 May 2004, 03:54 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

First check the battery to see if it is dry (needs topping up). Then check the voltage across the battery before starting the car - it will be around 12v. Start the car and check the voltage again - if the alternator is working then it should be around 14v.
Sometimes you can get an intermittent fault as well where it charges half the time and not the other.

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2004, 09:02 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically do whats been sugested, get a volt meter across the battery with the car running it should read 13-14v. anything less and its not charging.

To check the alternator output connect the -ve of the volt meter to the -ve of the car (either batt or chassis) and then the +ve to the stud on the alternator. With car running you get output voltage, with car in any other state you'll just see battery voltage as they are permanently connected.

The batt light on the dash is illuminated when the alternator is giving no output. the contact for the batt light on the alternator is connected to 12v when the alternator is stationary, this therefore gives a potentail difference (voltage) across the bulb when the other side is earthed. Once the alternator is spinning this contact is earthed therefore you lose the PD across the bulb and it goes out. Easy!!!!

ou probably got it sorted now though and yes renault electrics are not easy!