SP20 for speeding?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2004, 07:49 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP20 for speeding?

Hi,

I got done for speeding a little while back - circumstances were on a motorway at low 90s, and in my Scoob. I got a fixed penalty, paid the £60 and sent in my license. The license came back with an SP20 code and 3 points. I'm not familiar with an SP20 but thought nowt of it.

I've just rung up my insurer to declare it, and the guy said an SP20 wouldn't normally be the code for speeding in a car, and that I need to check it out as it could affect my premium. Also, if it is wrong the insurer could claim that my details were incorrect if I ever have to make a claim.

Sure enough the DVLA site says SP20 is "Exceeding speed limit for type of vehicle (excluding goods or passenger vehicles)"

Anyone had an SP20, know what you have to do to get one, or what the best way to find out is?

Thanks in advance,

Deano
Old 08 May 2004, 08:18 PM
Riprock
Scooby Regular

Sounds like they have messed up with the code.......think you should have SP50 for speeding on motorway.Sp20 sounds like it could be for HGV`s etc.Although i could be wrong
Old 08 May 2004, 08:23 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I got an SP60 for doing 97 on the motorway and then another SP60 for doing 68 in a 60 (fascist north Walian gestapo). An SP20 is a valid code as you were exceeding the speed limit for th type of vehicle, IMHO.
Old 08 May 2004, 09:00 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Going off what an SP30 or an SP60 are (built up area & motorway) I would guess that it was for one of these new 20mph zones outside schools etc.

If that is the case & I was an insurance co, I would deffo think you were a higher risk than a run of the mill 'additional revenue source' speeder. I agree, you need to check out exactly WTF it is
Old 08 May 2004, 09:21 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

I am sick to death with the leftist facism of New Labour For gods sake its NOT speed that causes accidents in 80% of cases but inadequate driving skills and attention when driving. Read the article in Autocar this week, it hits the spot. You can kill a child doing 5mph if you are not paying attention at the wheel. There are too many a - b' ers on the road today who deplore driving and thus make bad drivers. If you enjoy doing something you usually do a good job of it, hence you don't see many motoring enthusiasts in your average fatal accident, with of course the exception of the **** on a bike.
Old 08 May 2004, 10:04 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Sounds like you have a bizarre code. There is a list here: http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/crimertocodesandpoints.htm . I would check it out with DVLA / The Police.

Steve.
Old 08 May 2004, 10:21 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I got SP50 for 85mph on the M4 at christmas...
Old 09 May 2004, 09:28 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It's not a "weird code" it's perfectly legitimate: Exceeding speed limit for type of vehicle, I don't see how that's weird? It's no weirder than me getting an SP60 (undefined speeding offence) as opposed to an SP50 (exceeding speed limit on a motorway).

I think your insurance blokey was talking bollox. If you have an SP20 written on your licence and thats what you tell your insurance co, how on earth can they then decide it's wrong? Ask to speak to someone who knows what they're doing. remember, SP20 says "excluding good/passenger vehicles" thats vans, wagons, coaches and buses out of the equation, so it doesn't leave you with a lot else to apply it to

Last edited by NotoriousREV; 09 May 2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09 May 2004, 10:17 AM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for your replies - I think I will get it checked into, just in case.

Certainly given the circumstances, I don't understand why the code isn't SP50 (exceeding speed limit on a motorway) either, but our police work in mysterious ways, their fines to impose

NotoriousREV, the guy said could - I think what he was getting at is that if it turns out to be a misprint, well it wouldn't be my fault I gave incorrect details, but that the insurer could say that's not their problem. We've all heard how they'll try any excuse to get out of a big claim, I'd rather be up front about it all. Particularly now they've advised me of their doubts..

Thanks again,

Deano
Old 09 May 2004, 01:31 PM
Riprock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beemer_Deano
Thanks all for your replies - I think I will get it checked into, just in case.

Certainly given the circumstances, I don't understand why the code isn't SP50 (exceeding speed limit on a motorway) either, but our police work in mysterious ways, their fines to impose

NotoriousREV, the guy said could - I think what he was getting at is that if it turns out to be a misprint, well it wouldn't be my fault I gave incorrect details, but that the insurer could say that's not their problem. We've all heard how they'll try any excuse to get out of a big claim, I'd rather be up front about it all. Particularly now they've advised me of their doubts..

Thanks again,
Deano

Yes thats what i was getting at .Seems strange to distinguish your car as going faster than the purpose it was intended for...unless you where driving a milk float or something .I got an SP50 for 92 on a motorway 5 years ago,so why my car isnt regarded as being faster than purpose it was intended and yours was ,is anyones guess
Old 09 May 2004, 02:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bluto22b
I am sick to death with the leftist facism of New Labour For gods sake its NOT speed that causes accidents in 80% of cases but inadequate driving skills and attention when driving. Read the article in Autocar this week, it hits the spot. You can kill a child doing 5mph if you are not paying attention at the wheel. There are too many a - b' ers on the road today who deplore driving and thus make bad drivers. If you enjoy doing something you usually do a good job of it, hence you don't see many motoring enthusiasts in your average fatal accident, with of course the exception of the **** on a bike.
Have to agree with this, Blutes.

This week I got a statement from my Shell Visa card, with a free sort of newspaper in it.

One of the articles pointed out that since there were 1.65 million RECORDED speeding offences in 2003, against 650,000 in 1999, that means that speeding is on the increase.

Has anyone ever heard a bigger crock of sh*t???

Mind, you can justify owt by twisting statistics!

Alcazar
Old 09 May 2004, 03:06 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speeding is an easy target. What's easier to Police, speeding or "driver skill". You can't argue that increase speed does not increase risk. The ******* that batter down my street at 40mph+ in their huge 4x4's (it's a 20mph zone) should get all the deserve. Yeah, it's a quiet road but I'd rather see kids out playing on it than cars.

I admit to breaking the speed limit and if I get caught I'll accept the punishment. I'm not sure what's more annoying - the Government/Police focus on speeding or drivers whining about it.

Stefan