Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Joining the TA

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2004, 07:26 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining the TA

I'm 25 and contemplating joing the TA. Does anyone know if they discriminate against people that wear contact lenses similar to the Fire Service and the Police?

And I've already looked on the TA website but can't find the answer.

Thanks
Chump
Old 07 May 2004, 07:29 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

LOL Give it a miss mate. I was a regular, why be treated like ****, and get told what to do all the time by a complete bunch of ******.
Old 07 May 2004, 07:34 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

discriminate against people that wear contact lenses
For good reason.

I think discriminate is a bit strong mate
Old 07 May 2004, 07:34 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

so what was so bad about it......??
Old 07 May 2004, 07:48 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Crap pay, poor living conditions, working hrs which are a joke. Leave it well alone m8. The army is a breeding ground for human beings lacking in character, who in the real world would not last a day. Who struggle to hold down a job in civillian life. I was in the army for 4 years and my brother was in the Navy 12years. We both left for the same reasons, to many ****** wanting to rule your life, who rather than getting a job done prefer you to walk around saluting them to boost there opinion of themselves. Just my 2p.
Old 07 May 2004, 07:51 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I was in the TA for 16 years, which included a stint of recruit training.

You can join if you wear glasses or contacts, but I would advise against wearing contacts because there are numerous things you could be involved in that could make one fall out. Many TA soldiers have an old pair of glasses they wear whilst either on duty and/or for exercises. For Nuclear Biological Chemical (NBC) defence training (eg the CS Chamber), you will have to take your contacts out.

If you do join, ensure you apply for your Respirator lenses as soon as possible. Like all admin things in the army, it can take ages for them to come through.

As an aside, I assume you are aware that there is now a very real possibility of being called up into active service in the TA.
Old 07 May 2004, 07:53 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RR
Crap pay, poor living conditions, working hrs which are a joke. Leave it well alone m8. The army is a breeding ground for human beings lacking in character, who in the real world would not last a day. Who struggle to hold down a job in civillian life. I was in the army for 4 years and my brother was in the Navy 12years. We both left for the same reasons, to many ****** wanting to rule your life, who rather than getting a job done prefer you to walk around saluting them to boost there opinion of themselves. Just my 2p.
Most of that doesn't apply to the TA who are part-time.
Old 07 May 2004, 09:54 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

True, but theres ****** in the regulars and they moves across into the Ta. 90% of instructors and ex regs would have u believe they were 22 sas as to make themselves look good. Just be careful, like has been said joining the Ta could have some serious implications, i would look else where, the TA and regular army in general is for young men 17-22 who r unsure what to do with themselves (90%) and 10% who want a full time career. It does not bother me as as long as people join the TA and regulars it means i will not be called back up. Joining the army was a life altering event for me (not all bad) but it showed me a diff side to human nature, one which i would not care to view again. Best of Luck.
Old 07 May 2004, 10:07 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chump
I'm 25 and contemplating joing the TA.
What a ******* apt username

If you're just itching to get hurt in a sandy location, why not have a day out on Bournemouth beach while hitting yourself with a hammer?

There's a very good reason why the army likes it's recruits young - by 25 you're supposed to have wised up a bit.
Old 07 May 2004, 10:36 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Jesus, how bitter are you RR?
Old 08 May 2004, 02:01 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

LOL quite bitter, i cant believe how much of a dumb *** i was. £180 a week before deductions to stand in a **** filled sand bag bunker waiting to get shot by the IRA at 3am in the morning. Also u have seen the crap the Iraqi prisoners have been taking. Thats nothing they treat there own soldiers worse on escape and evasion exercises. Nah its not for me mate, they rely on young men and women to do the dirty work and take a lot of crap. As Gareth has said they need em young as not many 23+year old people would take what they had on offer. The armed forces is prob good for a lot of young people in some ways, it has made me realise how luckly i am now.

Last edited by RR; 08 May 2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08 May 2004, 01:44 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I've got to say go for it. I was in the TA for 3 years; only reason i left was i'd started doing a part time degree and something had to give. I really enjoyed my time in the TA, I made some great mates from it, and had some experiences that I'll never forget. I've really regretted leaving, and have spent the time since wondering whether or not to rejoin.

I'm short sighted and wear glasses when i need to. Wasn't a problem in the TA (had to do a sight test with them on as a recruit). I was told I should wear them for shooting, but never I used to bother with them, they were more of a nuisance getting in the way or getting rain on them & obscuring the sight.

Generally recruits in the TA are older than recruits going into the regulars. When i went on my 2 weeks CIC, the instructors said that it was a bit like a holiday having the TA courses in, as they caused much less troule that the reg. recruits, and were easier to train as they had more sense for being a bit older.

As Jerome said above, you really need to make sure you are prepared to be called up before you sign on the dotted line.

HTH.

John.
Old 08 May 2004, 07:00 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Uncle Blair Needs You!

Old 08 May 2004, 07:18 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

As do i m8, 1 yr left on the reserve list, go take my place do it. Dont want the **** bags calling me up. Yes join the TA it is the best thing you could do, for me that is.
Old 08 May 2004, 07:56 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RR
As do i m8, 1 yr left on the reserve list, go take my place do it. Dont want the **** bags calling me up. Yes join the TA it is the best thing you could do, for me that is.
RR, when you join the regular army, how many years do you commit yourself to and what 'get outs' are there?
Old 08 May 2004, 09:07 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

When i joined in 92 once basic training was completed u commited for 3.5 years from that point if i remember right. There were no get out clauses for my trade, and you had to give 12 months notice. Which i did after 2 years 6 months exactly. Looking back i have more respect for the guys who did the walk of shame during basic training than those who just put up with it. The TA may be a lot diff, but the guys who i served with who i am still in contact with say the same. It was crap.