Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Those floods of MayDay immigrants...

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2004, 02:56 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Those floods of MayDay immigrants...

Found this article quite funny...

"…the nation is threatened by hundreds of thousands of semi-nomadic persons from central and eastern Europe. Men such as Dragan Arsich, a bricklayer who, last week, was living in a filthy, roofless mud shack on an unpaved road in the dingy, rain-sodden Carpathian town of Sprjj. Dragan, who agreed to talk to Influx-watch "for a small consideration", shares three rooms with Ludmila and Olga, his two wives, and their 17 children. Dragan warned: "Me come to Britain first thing May 1 and claim full benefit under section 147a of the 2002 Social Security Act. Me bring kids. Three have TB, two have Aids, all have head lice. Me not keen on work, but Ludmila very nice woman, very friendly."

"The picture was clear, and - on Saturday - the floodgates opened. And this is where Influx-watch needs your help. For some reason, the very newspapers who were so vigilant in the days leading up to May 1 seem to have mislaid the thousands of east-European migrants who must have arrived at the weekend. The Mail and the Sun between them only managed to find the same coach at Dover, with the same angry Frenchwoman on board."
Old 05 May 2004, 12:43 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Brendan,

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. Newspapers deliberately whip up a tornado of mass hysteria, fear and rabid prejudice amongst the indigenous population, create a climate of anti Johnny Foreigner feeling which, at its worst, translates into horrible physical abuse of hard working people living here, paying their taxes legaly while contributing to society, just because they look different, and when the forecast apocalypse does not happen, we hear nothing. No apology, no explanation, nothing.

To say I think this is deplorable, irresponsible, cynical and morally bankrupt is putting it mildly. But hey ho, who gives a $hit? It sells papers to an ever gullible and uncritical population, does it not? When things aren't going well, create a common enemy; that way we all get to feel good even though it's just an illusion. And if that "enemy" does not look like us, talk like us, walk like us, **** like us, then all to the good! This strategy has worked for years in the UK and sadly, nothing will change it.

For my part I implore all right thinking individuals to spit on the shoes of newspaper editors, and to take every opportunity to question the validity of their parentage. If left alone we could all live in peace and/or tolerate each other if only these $**** stirrers would go elsewhere!
Old 05 May 2004, 07:06 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Dont be fooled, they are on their way ...................
Old 05 May 2004, 08:26 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yeah, but surely the real fault lies not with the media, but with those that believe every word they say. It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid and sheep like much of the UK population can be.

The media says something so it must be true - why do they never stop for a minute to think for themselves? Is it simply that they're too busy in their little world of lager, football and soap operas to bother or are they no longer capable.

It's intersting also to note that the Scoobynet contingent who were so vociferous about this subject over recent weeks have now gone very quiet - look at how few responses this thread has receieved thus far.

So come on you lot - you know who you are - speak up and tell us where all the immigrants are and how the media have missed them so far or may be even admit that just perhaps you were just sucked in on a wave of media frenzy.

tiggers.
Old 05 May 2004, 09:34 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

w.b - you not been reading scoobynet over the past 3 months? That's the whole reason I posted it. As tiggers said, there were a lot of doom-mongers on here, who've suddenly gone very quiet.

...still chuckling at "Me come to Britain first thing May 1 and claim full benefit under section 147a of the 2002 Social Security Act" though...
Old 05 May 2004, 09:52 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I try to see both sides, like we need Bricklayers but it does concern me that the country is seen as a target for all sorts of migrants, we may complain about it here but to somebody from Eastern Europe or Albania it is heaven, trouble is the systems we have in place arent supporting the people who are here already as well as they should, hospital waiting lists etc, I know its a bit of a cliche but we are a small islandand have limited resources that are already stretched, I dont think its wise to allow too many additional people in too quickly. I own my own house, I pay a fair whack of tax on my income but I also have three kids at school so I dont for one minute think what I pay in tax covers all of what we use as a family, my wife had three caesarians so I think we are probably still paying for those, point being, a fair proportion of Britain, even if they contribute as best they can, still take more out of the system than they put in so if we let in more people who will obviously need more that us, i.e. housing, fixing existing health problems, set up costs and feeding them will really put a strain on the system, it would be interesting to see how many end up contributing, i.e. get Dragan earning his keep building a house for his family (18 bedrooms), if he actually exists that is.

Agree on the newspaper scare mongering though, always makes me laugh how the Mail always appeals to 'Outraged from Tunbridge Wells', i.e. those (like myself) who live in areas that wont see any immigrants due to the cost of housing, those who are wealthy and dont want any nasty dirty foreigners ruining there nice cosy Middle class lifestyles.
Old 05 May 2004, 03:24 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

And the silence was deafening
Old 05 May 2004, 03:50 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

I had a Ukranian chap in doing a wooden floor for me a few months back. Charged me sod-all (£400) for 3 full days of laying parquet, which is a skilled job. When I say 3 days, he was there at 7am and still at it at 7-8pm.

The guy came over as a migrant a few years back and works his socks off. He can't believe how lazy some of the British trademen are, and how much they charge - he's happy enough to make £40k a year from working astonishingly hard, and thinks Britain really is the promised land.

And fair play to him, I say - exactly the sort of person we need. OK, his English is appalling, but he's making a living, he's paying taxes (well, so he says ....) and he's determined that his kids will be as English as he can make them. The only problem, from a macroeconomic perspective, is that he and many like him remit a fair proportion of their earnings outwith the UK, which doesn't help our economy any.
Old 05 May 2004, 06:39 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
w.b - you not been reading scoobynet over the past 3 months?
Sorry Brendan, I have not paid attention to those threads hence me missing the deliberate irony of yours. DOH!
Old 05 May 2004, 09:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Lazy British tradesman, how dare you, I take issue with that,

Oh Perhaps not, you are right, still waiting for a quote for me bathroom from 4 years ago.....
Old 06 May 2004, 02:20 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Found another nice quote by Denis McShane, published today in an article about the enlargement...

"The Roma Press Agency in Slovakia has complained about British tabloid journalists arriving and paying Roma to pose with suitcases and a Union Jack. The Roma take the money and stay in their own country and communities. Four buses left Warsaw for London once Poland joined the EU. But four buses have been leaving Warsaw for the past 40 years to bring Poles to work, study, or visit some of the 500,000 strong Polish community in Britain. Each day, scores of coaches take British travellers to different continental countries. They are made welcome."

British tabloid journalists arriving and paying Roma to pose with suitcases and a Union Jack FFS