Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

dont upset moped riders!

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2004, 10:08 AM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont upset moped riders!

We had an interesting experience on Friday night. On the roundabout outside Tesco in Bicester, I was indicating right, already on the roundabout when a moped rider on L plates decides to come at me from straight on, luckily I'd seen him and thought this is what he was goignt o do so I stopped. He ended up nearly falling off and crashing into the curb. So, we carried on into Tesco only to be followed by the moped rider, he followed us really close behind up and down the car park. We decided we'd leave getting out of the car until he'd gone away so we left the car park to drive round the block - followed by the moped rider.

By this point he was getting really annoying, coming up 2ft behind me as I went slowly over the humps on the way out of the car park. I tried the old "jump on the brakes" trick but I dont think he was impressed as he nearly ended up in the hedge! Once out of the car park we were well clear of him until we had to stop in a queue at a roundabout, he caught up and came almost alongside. Deciding that my car was faster and better handling than a moped I flew round a couple of roundabouts and off up the dual carridgeway to get rid of him.

At the first junction I turned off, drove up onto the bridge over the dual carridgeway and sat there for a bit with my lights off to see the moped go underneath towards the M40!

We then made our way back to Tesco where I dropped Hannah at the door and waited next to a Police traffic car (just in case he returned). After 5 mins of sitting there with the engine running I thought there was no chance he would be coming back so I turned the engine off......BBBzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz into the car park he came! going up and down each lane looking for me! so in order to protect my nice shiny paintwork from keys etc I decided to move off again before he saw me. But its quite hard to hide in Tesco's car park at night!

Luckily by this point Hannah had done her shopping and was at the checkout behind the Policeman watching the moped through the window, Mr Policeman then decided he'd come to our aid and came out to stop the moped rider. It was quite funny to watch as he more or less told the moped rider to "stop being a **** and go home" before giving him a lecture on how to give way at roundabouts. Also told him his moped light was no better than a pedal cycle's and he deserved to get killed on a dual carridgway at night.

Its funny now but at the time it wasn't!!
Old 04 May 2004, 10:19 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like chaos.
Old 04 May 2004, 10:38 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Why didnt you just tell him to stop being a **** yourself?
Old 04 May 2004, 10:54 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby96
Why didnt you just tell him to stop being a **** yourself?

That could lead to confrontation and physical damage to either persons or property. Chap did the right thing.

Nowt to say that moped star wasn't a knife wielding maniac
Old 04 May 2004, 11:01 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

I would have tw@tted him at the first roundabout and saved all that hassel
Old 04 May 2004, 12:03 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately that's why more and more of it goes on.

Too many people act like pansies and allow themselves to be intimidated.
Old 04 May 2004, 12:23 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Spoon

That is far to easy to say and a no brainer IMHO.

For example My father did not like confontation, he did however win a bravery award for pulling a v. small child out of a fast flowing river saving his life and he was invloved with a lot of hit and run 'harrasment' raids on the French coast whilst in the Navy (succonded to the marines during WWII) and th stories he told made me sick sometimes. I did not consider him a pansie

Chances are i would confronted him if pushed into a corner - if i was on my own or just had Jenny in the car, not if i had had the little one with me mind!

Some people just do not like confrontation and steer away from it, does nto make them pansies whatever a pansie is apart from a flower.

Batering or confronting a tw@t on a moped may cause you much more grief if he gets vindictive and over such a minor incident, is it worth it?, getting the Police to sort is is a good way to handle it IMHO.

Last edited by The Zohan; 04 May 2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04 May 2004, 12:41 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Unfortunately that's why more and more of it goes on.

Too many people act like pansies and allow themselves to be intimidated.
Spoon, whilst I understand your frustration it doesn't always end up as you'd hope when you take the law into your own hands. Seventeen years ago I had an altercation with a lorry driver who hopped out of his cab and clocked me through the driver's side window.

I responded by getting out of the van I was driving at the time and booted him in the face with my size 10s which at the time was immensely satisfying but led to an ABH conviction. 17 years later, although the conviction is relatively minor and has been spent I cannot emigrate to a country I'd like to spend the rest of my life because I'm deemed to have an undesirable character.

These things come back to haunt you.....
Old 04 May 2004, 12:47 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

I remember that a while ago someone complained that the BBC "What IF?" program about violet society showed thugs in a scoob! LOL!

It wasn't so much what he could have done to me but what he could have done to my car (sad, I know) - I also had my wife-to-be in the car.
Old 04 May 2004, 12:50 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Spoon

That is far to easy to say and a no brainer IMHO.
A no brainer! What having an opinion? Where did it say to encourage confrontation?

It was an observation of the behaviour of many which can be attributed to many other areas in todays society and not just on the road.

Some people just do not like confrontation and steer away from it, does nto make them pansies whatever a pansie is apart from a flower.
Never said they didn't but I'm búggered if I'd take a tour around the countryside to avoid speaking to "Moped Man". I would need to seriously assess my communication skills if it came to that.

Batering or confronting a tw@t on a moped may cause you much more grief if he gets vindictive and over such a minor incident, is it worth it?, getting the Police to sort is is a good way to handle it IMHO.
As usually happens on SN somebody elses opinions get mixed in with mine. At no point did I mention violence.
Old 04 May 2004, 01:02 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Spoon

Not all of those comments where aimed at you, do not take it as such, just observations like yours.

You seem to have taken it a bit to personally IMHO

You wrote
'Too many people act like pansies and allow themselves to be intimidated'

I gave you an example of someone who did not like confrontation but was not (to use your own words) a Pansy.

I stated it was a 'no brainer' as that is how a saw it simple as that -My humble opinon, nothing is that cut and dry IMHO

My words
'Battering or confronting.....'

was a comment, no aimed at you particularly but you seem to have taken it as such?!

Your words
'As usually happens on SN somebody elses opinions get mixed in with mine. At no point did I mention violence.'

'I do not think my opinion got mixed with yours, how odd! You did not mention violence, did i say you did?

Just to set the record straight.

Last edited by The Zohan; 04 May 2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04 May 2004, 01:11 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Paul- You started your reply addressed to me, therfore the clue was within.
How odd you think I took it personally, like it offended me.

Nowt strange as folk.