Asymmetrical body

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2004, 03:22 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asymmetrical body

Bit of a weird one this, but here goes.

My body is quite asymmetrical throughout, with the right side in general being larger - slightly bigger right arm, slightly bigger right leg etc. I know this is probably quite normal as I am right handed so this side is going to be more developed. However, what's worrying me mainly at the moment are my shoulders. The left and right are different in size and shape, and I think it's very noticeable. The right hand side is more rounded and lower than the left. Also, a couple of years ago I had some physio treatment and the guy commented that I had an asymmetrical ribcage - again, the right side being bigger.

My question is, is there anything I can do to rectify this, or at least improve matters? I lift weights, and have always been aware of my lack of symmetry so I always use dumbbells to ensure independence between left and right, but I can't fix it.

I feel like it's getting worse as I get older, and am worried about turning into a crooked mess!

Any suggestions as to who I could see about this? Thanks
Old 03 May 2004, 03:27 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Change your name to EILEEN

Old 03 May 2004, 04:54 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

EVERYONE is to some extent asymmetrical.. it's just varying degrees.

bodybuilders aspire to have "perfect symmetry"... but will still have some, albeit a small amount, of asymmetry.

like you've suggested yourself - lift with dumbells... for the very reason you mentioned. muscle grows fairly slowly on most people, so it will take some serious time, and diet needs to be in check.

consider genetics - do your parents have the same, and what about your grandparents... and are they a crooked mess?

also bear in mind that you're probably your own worst critic and things are not anywhere near as noticable to other people.

you haven't supplied any measurements, so look at http://biology.wsc.ma.edu/biology/ex...symmetry/body/ which has links at the bottom to a few sources of data collected on body measurements. you can then compare your results to see if you fall within a reasonable level of symmetry on your body.
Old 03 May 2004, 05:10 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Milo.

I fully understand what you're saying regarding being my own worst critic. I have asked other people to look at my assymetry, but they say they can only see it because I've pointed it out and otherwise wouldn't have noticed. Apparently I worry too much. Nonetheless, it's still there!

Thanks for the link
Old 03 May 2004, 10:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One side of me is way bigger than the other, the front side, my belly and my **** are way bigger than anything that is 'out-back'.