Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Road bike tyres (pushbikes)

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2004, 11:38 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Road bike tyres (pushbikes)

Trying to restore my trusty tourer, high spec circa 1984 (bought before I passed my driving test ). [Anyone who wants to do the "I'd like to buy a gramophone" sketch from NOTT, please wait till I've got an answer thanks...]

It's got 27 x 1.25in wheels (Super Champion rims). Do people still make tyres this size, or are they all 700C now (which is 26 or 26.5in IIRC)?

No-one sells funny imperial sizes in Portugal, so I'm going to ask parents to buy a pair of tyres and bring them in a couple of weeks. I want that size, almost puncture proof, low rolling resistance but good grip. Currently have Specialized Touring X with kevlar strip, would love the equivalent if still made (I'm sure they're not). Just found out about Specialized Armadillos, which even have sidewall protection but I think I don't need that. Also read a review of some Continentals where the sidewalls split if pressure isn't high enough - as I don't keep mine rock hard, I suppose I should avoid those.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks
Brendan
Old 03 May 2004, 12:04 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some here, and this is just one of them...

http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...l.cfm?ID=15891

..and this one comes in 27" too, bit more of a racing/touring hybrid, ie more slick & lightweight.

http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...il.cfm?ID=2838
Old 03 May 2004, 12:10 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw, I use Specialized Armidillos on my commuting bike.....they have a double kevlar layer on the tread, and single kevlar layer in the sidewall. They defiintely work.

Had 1 puncture in 1 year of daily commuting last year. Friend who was on standard single layer kevlar had at least 2 punctures a month. When he switched to Armidillos, his puncture rate went down to zero to date.
Old 03 May 2004, 03:06 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ooh, interesting - thanks imlach... the Panaracer looks a lot lighter than the Schwalbe, and more my "style", but perhaps I should acknowledge that Portuguese roads are not as good as UK ones...