Don't You Just Hate It When...

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2004, 12:27 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Don't You Just Hate It When...

You make a driving error & the people turn up where you're going

Doing the shopping trip today, minding my own business, forget to get some fencing clips from the local farmers store, so nip back off to get them. Nip in this instance is chilled mode & 65 round the dual-carriageway... Roundabout at the end and just before I get there, large pick-up with boxes and crates and things in it changes lane in front of me & carry's on in the same direction (now single carriageway - 60mph) as me. They're doing 40ish and I see what I think is a 100m gap to the next car in front. Nothing coming, so I decide to overtake b4 next roundabout, which I proceed to do so gently in 5th gear, notching upto 55 maybe. As I start to overtake, I notice little red car in front (30m) of pickup that had been obscured by it and all it's boxes. I decide to continue as it's safe to do so.

Obviously, I come into the gap that the pickup has created between it & the red vehicle. Mad flashing of lights from pickup. Like - wtf!!

Anyhow, roundie turns up, I turn right and so does pickup. 1st left, followed by pickup and 1st left again into farmer's place still followed by p/up.

What to do? Acknowledge mistake or ignore?

I chose ignore.

Into store, get my bits & queuing before p/up driver gets there (all 6'4" of him ).

"Whose next?" says cashier?

To which bloke says "He'd better go first as he's in such a hurry!"

I turned and said, "look sorry, I made a mistake, just chill"

His partner then starts off about how I've ruined her day! FFS! "Was good until this pillock cut us up!" GFYS

I made an error of judgement in not seeing the red car and thinking that farmer giles & his missus was dawdling at 40mph on a clear straight 60, overtaken the twonks, safely, within the speed limit, without causing them to brake or take evasive action. If it had been at all dodgy on seeing the red car, I would not have continued the manouver, but it was all safely done.

Some people do just not like being overtaken and just my luck that they were going where I was

Jeez
Old 17 April 2004, 12:36 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not as bad as that, but i did sumthing simmiler with sumbody that ended up working @ my place of work and not reliseing, the penny dropped when my team leader came over to have a word, i told him to f**k off and mind his own buisness
Old 17 April 2004, 12:39 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Absurd - you apologised for what was a minor 'indiscretion', Puff. Why do some people have to blow things up out of all proportion? People like this are "victims" all their lives.... Pathetic....
Old 17 April 2004, 12:43 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Had this in my office car park once. Had overtaken someone in a volvo estate on the A-road close to the office, and after I had parked up in the office car park and got out my car, he pulled up beside me and 'advised' me that I should behave myself on the public roads in future and it wasn't the done thing for an employee of our company to do.

WTF! He wore sandals at work as well. Nothing against sandal wearing Volvo drivers, but it somehow makes my post more interesting
Old 17 April 2004, 12:48 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

bring on the sandals
Old 17 April 2004, 12:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Reminds me of a time when I was in my spanner monkey years. Delivering a customers car back - nice old gent - metro 1.3 - fantasic

When I got stuck behind this very slow dawdling Land cruiser. 30mph in a 60, my workmate was ahead of this and had vanished into the distance, whilst I got stuck behind when they pulled out of a junction. Technically I wasn't cut up as they pulled out on a 30mph section of a village and I wasn't travelling that fast. Just slightly annoyed as if they weren't in a hurry they could have pulled out behind me. Still I sat behind for a few hundred yards or so just to see if they were going to speed up, clearly not. So Dropped a few gears and off I went thraping this 1985 metro with 20K on the clock (smoke trail following as it was probably the first good blast it had in 10 years). Over took when it was safe and carried my merry way at 60mph.

Got to the destination, and delivered the car, and had rather pleasant chat with the owner. When what would appear just as I was leaving? Yes on the drive pulls the same Land Cruiser

I made my excuses and left sharpish before they got out, but I'm sure that was the reason why he never came back again to have his car serviced

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 April 2004 at 12:58 AM.
Old 17 April 2004, 08:17 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

...and there was me thinking them Suffolk folk were all laid back

Cheers
Kav
Old 17 April 2004, 08:28 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Didn't even sound like a driving error as such because you say you had plenty of space to pull in between the vehicles.

I'd have been asking him what was wrong with his lights that makes them flash people for no reason.
It's part of the weird queuing mentality of the British that they don't like to be overtaken, it's almost as if you are viewed as jumping the queue in some way. Single carriageway overtaking (safely) is a dying art in the UK.
You had nothing to feel guilty about at all.