Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Disabled parking, what is it with some people ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2004, 12:36 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabled parking, what is it with some people ?

I just paid a visit to my local Safeway. Pulled into a Blue Badge space, as I'm entitled to do becuase I'm disabled. And just switch the engine off and the staff pounce, telling me it's a £40 fine if I park there.I show him my badge and ask who the hell he thinks he is to decide that 'cos I'm young and don't look it I can't be disabled. He doesn't even apologise, just says he spotted the other car park guy talking to me last week. Last week EXACTLY the same thing happened. I know they are there doing there job BUT, all the OAPS and 4x4's etc park up freely and wander in, me, young, nice car (well to me!) and I get victimised. I've just mailed Safeway, don't expect anything to happen but I wanted to get it off my chest.

Car park attendants and ingorant sods that park in the disabled spaces when they ain't disabled really get on my nerves !!!!

awwwwwwwwwwwwww, feel so much better now.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:44 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

The owners of the car park have a right to ascertain if you are disabled or not. However, was the attendant discourteous or brusque with you in any way? Did he politely ask you to present your badge before quoting the fine at you? If the answer to either of these questions is no, then you have every right to complain to his Employer. They will take it seriously if it is the discourtesy you are complaining about. The Attendant's failure to acknowledge his mistake and apologise is further evidence of his bad attitude, and a company like Safeway will take a very dim view of any employee who represents their company in this way.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:45 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Well, I'm glad that they are doing something about it and keeping an eye on the spaces, but it sounds like the staff need some training in order to handle the situation better
Old 16 April 2004, 12:46 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Calm down

Make it clear to them you're a regular and please remember and leave you alone in future

Be thankful they're actually trying to stop other tossers from taking up your space.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:50 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Shock, horror another example of now ignorant we've become in this country...... I have always wondered how people can be 'me,me,me' but still manage to blame everything on someone else; talk about a 'convienience society'
Old 16 April 2004, 12:56 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

They can't enforce the £40 fine in any case- unless they clamp you. I was forced to use a disabled space in Tescos last year (I had damaged my shin badly in a skiing accident-bone visible) and could just about operate a clutch but not walk. Came back to the car to find a 'ticket' on the windscreen. Looked at it, threw it on the floor and drove off.
Never heard anything else about it.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:05 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Be thankful they're actually trying to stop other tossers from taking up your space.
Exactly how you have to look at it, I've never been concerned about being questioned, just glad they are taking it seriously.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:16 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

F1,

I know exactly what you mean. My mum is registered disabled and when I take her shopping (on the odd occasion) the moment I step out of the car a traffic warden is on me having a go. I then walk around the car and help my mum out of the passenger seat and they **** off. At first I was annoyed but to be honest I have better things to do.

I do ALWAYS complain when I find someone parked in a disabled space that does not hold ‘A badge'.

Darren
Old 16 April 2004, 01:30 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

agree with most of the above. i'd much rather they were vigilent about these spaces. i will never park in one but it fvcks me right off when other lazy bstds do.
whlist he should have been more courteous i'd rather they tried. he is probably on minimum wage and gets all sort of abuse from the typical disabled space abuser.

was forced to use a disabled space in Tescos last year (I had damaged my shin badly in a skiing accident-bone visible)
hope you had a badge. Its not self-assessment you know

Last edited by juan; 16 April 2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:35 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's perfectly legal for anyone to park in a disabled space if all other available spaces are occupied.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The Blue Badge Scheme does not apply to off-street car parks and enforcement of disabled persons parking bays is therefore a matter for the individual owner or operator concerned. In the case of local authority off-street car parks, parking place orders normally either make it an offence for someone not displaying a valid orange or blue badge to park in a disabled persons parking bay or make it subject to the payment of an excess charge.

In private off-street car parks, such as those at supermarkets, the position is more complicated. These car parks are private property and the charges and conditions of use are essentially a contractual matter between the owner and the motorist. In such car parks, spaces marked for badge holders only are in most cases not legally enforceable, but depend on the courtesy and consideration of other drivers. Company employees could ask a non-disabled driver to move their car from a space set aside for disabled people but they might not be in a position to insist upon it.

However, it is the Departments view that it is also possible in law for the owners of a private car park to agree with the local authority that a parking place order be made in respect of that car park. Conditions of use can then be enforced as if it were a local authority car park, with penalties or excess charges levied on offenders. Such an agreement, which would enable the local authority to make an order regulating the use of the disabled persons parking spaces or the entire car park, does not require the land to be transferred by sale or lease to the local authority. Parking not authorised under the terms of the order, for instance, parking in reserved spaces would be an offence. To be effective, any arrangement along these lines would naturally require commitments from the local authority in terms of enforcement activity.

Where there is suspected misuse of marked out disabled persons parking bays in private car parks, it should be brought to the attention of the management of the store or premises concerned so that they may consider effective action to enforce the parking restrictions in their car parks. It is, of course, in the interests of supermarkets and other stores to enforce their disabled persons parking bays as unauthorised use can lead to loss of trade if disabled people are unable to shop at their stores.
Old 16 April 2004, 02:00 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Juan, of course I didn't have a badge, I was only "disabled" for a few months. I wasn't going to let that stop me using a disabled space though, because I was in fact disabled. Anyone who wanted to question it could have had a look at my tibia to prove it.

They put a ticket on my car, I knew it had no legal weight, so I ripped it up and threw it on the floor. If I was unable to walk for any distance I'd do exactly the same thing again. As it is I'm in good health and like my car minus dents and scratches so I park as far as possible from the entrance.
What really **** me off are the mother and baby spaces- if some bint wants to get knocked up then that's just tough titty as far as I'm concerned, next time practice contraception or learn to walk.Make 'em do the same as the rest of us, first come, first served. I'll park in those spaces whenever I feel like it- again no way of enforcing it.

Some doe eyed bint and her feckless looking husband/boyfriend/casual f**k gave me a mouthfull last time I parked in a 'reserved' space at Sainsburys. I told them where they could stick it and left them to it. They can't do jack **** about it.
Old 16 April 2004, 02:04 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

Did you see my ?

if some bint wants to get knocked up then that's just tough titty as far as I'm concerned, next time practice contraception or learn to walk
Thats lame though - could have been an accident just like yours. Might as well say if some plonker breaks their leg thats just tuff titty. next time practice skiing in control or learn to ski properly

Last edited by juan; 16 April 2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old 16 April 2004, 02:09 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I did Juan,

I wouldn't say the two are the same in any way. Firstly the injury was caused by another out of control skier, not my own idiocy.

I also wouldn't regard having some screaming brat as something that's disabling or in need of any special consideration. They chose to do it, they learn to live with it. Similarly I don't give up my seat on public transport (not that I use it) to pregnant women or those with kids etc, only to old folk or those with an obvious problem. I don't see why I should make any allowances whatsoever for people who CHOOSE to have children. Personally I despise children and never intend to have any.
Old 16 April 2004, 02:13 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

I can hear the collective French breath of relief from here
Old 16 April 2004, 02:13 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Must admit those mother and baby spaces are nice and 'roomy'!!

I think supermarkets should provided oversized bays for paranoid performance-car drivers to save us parking in the last bay - on the end (therefore one less door to get smacked) - right at the back of the car park!!

Perhaps BHP could be a criteria, or maybe a co-efficient derived from:
- cost of car
- power output
- number of times washed and lovingly waxed by owner in 1 week.

Last edited by FrenchBoy; 16 April 2004 at 02:14 PM. Reason: I'm a retard
Old 16 April 2004, 02:19 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
Personally I despise children and never intend to have any.

I kinda picked up on that NACRO
Good thing for you your momma and pappa didn't feel the same way. Seems a bit of a selfish attitude but each to their own.

I'd happily give up my seat to a preggo lady or disabled person or some elderly infirm chap or chappess as I don't NEED the seat. Its no effort to me to stand up and let someone with greater need take the seat.

I don't mind the child spaces at supermarkets, or the disabled ones. The supermarket is asking its customers to be considerate to those with a greater need. I can walk the extra 20 yards. Some obviously can't as they consider themselves too important.

Down as taking the p155 in my book but those that do it don't give a **** about others anyway.
I know which I'd rather be and which gives me more satisfaction.

Last edited by juan; 16 April 2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 16 April 2004, 02:22 PM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "Must admit those mother and baby spaces are nice and 'roomy'!!"

It's so they can park their oversize 4X4 and other crap mobiles in there, if the spaces were normal sized they'd be smashing pieces off each others cars because from what I've seen they haven't the skill to park properly or are to busy failing to control their stinking, unseatbelted children.

I'd agree that if those people want reserved parking that the rest of us should have it too, spaces for people with nice cars they care about, spaces for hindu parking only, , spaces for people called 'Mike' etc etc etc. It's ******* ridiculous to have anything other than disabled spaces, the rest of us can take what we find and use our legs to walk our fat, lazy asses over to the supermarket.

Last edited by NACRO; 16 April 2004 at 02:24 PM.
Old 16 April 2004, 02:23 PM
NACRO
BANNED

The point is though juan that I don't believe these people (ie parents) need the spaces at all. They can walk, the extra distance will do their bloated behinds some good. After all isn't the UK second in obesity to the USA?

Actually I'm all for them replacing the mother and baby spaces with OAP spaces, which I wouldn't park in
Old 16 April 2004, 02:24 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with Nacro on this one. It really does my **** in people who moan because you are in a mother n baby space. I had one the other week in a multi story. Got out, locked up etc and then got a mouth full from this bird with a baby about car parking spaces. Erm ok, you got a space love, what the f*ck are you moaning about.

Thing was the space I took was the only one in the whole 'kin car park. She still insisted I move it and I was like "Go f*ck yerself love". She stood watching as I went and then I got a bit nervous re: bunny boiler and car and to my eternal shame moved the car. Then the cheeky cow thanked me for moving it. But why should they get preferance ? Should go on earning if you ask me
Old 16 April 2004, 02:28 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

The mother and baby spaces are wide so that they can get their screaming kids into the pushchairs without scratching your pride and joy! park in em at your peril!

I'm less fussed about misuse of those than the disabled ones admittedly.

I'm not *that* bothered about any of it really but I do enjoy bad mouthing slackers who park in the disabled spaces when they are clearly just lazy *****.

(not talking about this thread before you take offence - talking about the real world)
Old 16 April 2004, 02:30 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I only ever parked the shed of a Golf I used to have in there, as I said the E30 or Impreza would be parked at the opposite end. In truth I don't really visit them all that often anyway, they are full of the kind of people I'd prefer weren't breathing the same air as me so I let my girlfriend do all the shopping.
Old 16 April 2004, 02:31 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

I let my girlfriend do all the shopping.

I hear that
Old 16 April 2004, 02:32 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Getting back on topic here I agree wholeheartedly about the selfishness of taking up disabled bays if you aren't disabled- badge or no badge!

Never do it myself apart from the instance I outlined.
Old 16 April 2004, 02:33 PM
stu200
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

They put a ticket on my car, I knew it had no legal weight, so I ripped it up and threw it on the floor.
So littering is perfectly acceptable too is it No, let me guess - you were creating employment.

What a nice, considerate, well rounded individual you are.
Old 16 April 2004, 02:35 PM
NACRO
BANNED

It did it in order to let them know I wasn't paying it- don't worry one of the little helpers they employ was stood by the car giving me some abuse for parking in the space, I'm sure he enjoyed picking it up.
I don't litter as a rule, unless I'm somewhere I don't like , in which case I'm quite happy to drop my litter wherever is convenient. Last time I was in London there were no waste bins around in any case and as I hate the place I just littered away......................

thought I'd add, similarly I notice that public toilets are no longer deemed to be essential in most UK towns, guess what, I just take a p1ss somewhere out of the way instead.
Old 16 April 2004, 02:44 PM
stu200
Scooby Regular

guess what, I just take a p1ss somewhere out of the way instead.
Perhaps you might like to try it up a rope ...
Old 16 April 2004, 02:46 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Talking

Or into the wind....................hahahahahah.

Old 16 April 2004, 02:47 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

"Lambs to the slaughter" springs to mind
Old 16 April 2004, 02:48 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

There's one way to settle it - just make it a free for all.

First some first served.

Granted, there are those who need disabled spaces, but it gets on my nerves when I see someone with a disabled badge who is perfectly able-bodied otherwise. Went shopping at Tesco last night, and parked up the same time a old geezer in a merc. We follwed him more or less right round the store, and he never had any problems as he whistled up and down every aisle. - We struggled more than he did, and I had a pregnant woman in tow - and do I get a badge? Do i f*** - and I needed one more than merc geezer.

Quick Reply: Disabled parking, what is it with some people ?