Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Accident advice

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 11:50 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident advice

What information must I provide to the other party at the scene, and indeed after the incident?

Am I right in thinking that there is no obligation to provide insurance details? I do not wish the other party to claim on my insurance. They can sue me for the money for all I care.

Damian
Old 16 April 2004, 12:07 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

we just exchanged phone numbers
Old 16 April 2004, 12:16 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

I think you are obliged to provide Name, Contact No, Car Reg. at the time of the incident.

I believe you must also provide details of insurance as soon as reasonably possible after the incident.

YOu don't want to be paying out your own cash if the other party claims for whiplash / physio / loss of earnings etc !!!
Old 16 April 2004, 01:53 AM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

You do have to provide details of your insurance company. Otherwise no one would have it and every one would have to sue for a result!!!
Old 16 April 2004, 01:54 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

You do NOT have to provide insurance details at the scene. All you have to provide is your own contact details.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:56 AM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

The question was at the scene or after...........
Old 16 April 2004, 08:11 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Danbo - I was not at fault in the accident, she admitteded liability and then contacted her insurance company.

The details have been requested from myself, although I am reluctant to supply them, as my renewal date is shortly away, and I will lose my no claims.

Damo
Old 16 April 2004, 08:23 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

You must at the scene provide your reg no , name & address, but unless
someone holds you responsible, you do not have to disclose your insurance details.
An admission of liability by the third party would therefore not require you to disclose your insurance details.

D
Old 16 April 2004, 08:38 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by damian666
Danbo - I was not at fault in the accident, she admitteded liability and then contacted her insurance company.

The details have been requested from myself, although I am reluctant to supply them, as my renewal date is shortly away, and I will lose my no claims.

Damo

she might of admitted liability at the scene but once they have time to think they change, i carry a disposeable canera for this purpose has come in handy twice.
1st time the woman refused to give me any details she never even got in touch with her insurance company as she was trying to blame me and there was hardly any damage to her car. the claim just took a bit longer but my insurance company found out everything and in the end her insurance company paid up after numerous attempts to ask her about the accident and she still never replied,

so in other words wether you want to give your details or not once the claim starts its tough as they will get them anyway
Old 16 April 2004, 09:01 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

This is true, although I am and will be in full communication with the insurance company, and her solicitors - who contacted me today.

I am extremely angry with the situation, as she offered cash to fix the problem, but too little! Now she is going through her insurance company, it is obviously me who is at fault.

Aw, f*ck it. I'm off to make some measurements and take photos. The more evidence on my side the better!!

Damian
Old 16 April 2004, 11:06 AM
T.C
Scooby Regular

The law is quite clear on what must be done when an accident occurs.

The drivers must:

1 Stop.
2 Exchange names and addresses of the drivers.
3 Exchange names and addresses of the owners of the vehicle (if different to the drivers).
4 Exchange details of registration marks.

In the event of injury they must also produce a certificate of insurance to any person with reasonable grounds to so request those details. This could be the injured party themselves, a passer by who offers to pass them on or as is usual the Police.

If any of these requirements are not complied with, then it must be reported in person at a Police Station as soon as practicable after the event as possible but in any case within 24 hours.

It does not have to be reported within the Police area where the accident occured.
Old 16 April 2004, 11:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You have to exchange names and addresses. If the accident is reported to the police, they will require your insurance details and will give those details to the other party. You can also exchange insurance details at the scene which you did not wish to do of course.

Les