Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone ever travelled the USA before?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 04:16 PM
Reib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever travelled the USA before?

I'm thinking of travelling the USA. I know that us as UK citizens get a 3 month visa waiver, but does that mean I can work over there? or do I need to get another type of permit?

Also, anyone know how to get a longer visa, if I wanted to stay for longer than 3 months? I looked on the US embassy in London website and there are so many different types of visas, it's confused me!

any help/advice at all is much appreciated
Old 15 April 2004, 05:18 PM
greyarea
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You are not allowed to work in the USA if you entered under the visa waiver scheme. If you want to stay for more than 3 months then I believe that you do need a visa, and I think the B-2 is the 'holiday' visa. You would be expected to be able to demonstrate that you have the funds to support yourself.

When I worked in the US I could only apply for the visa once I had the job offer as the application required supporting documetation from my employer. I think that this is the usual procedure, so I am not sure if there is a visa allowing casual work.

I hope this helps.

James
Old 15 April 2004, 06:16 PM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

Been living and working here for the last seven years.

James is correct, you cannot work on a visa waiver. Don't even think of it - the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) didn't have a sense of humour before 9-11 and they certainly wont have developed one since; if you break the rules and get caught, you will be booted without hesistation and find it difficult if not impossible to get back in legally. Just don't.

In order to work over here legally, you will need a H1-B visa. In order to get one of those, you need to find an employer to sponsor you (and jump through quite a few hoops so they'd better want you) and you will need a recognized University degree. Be aware that a work visa is good for three years (though it can be extended for a further three) and is tied to the employer who sponsored you - if you want to switch jobs (or get the boot), you will need to find a new employer who is willing to go through the sponsorship process for you. (Which again takes time and money)

Assuming you are not rich or famous, your only other alternatives are to have family over here who can sponsor you or to marry an American. I do not recommend the latter - they can boot you if it doesn't work out and marriage can be stressful enough without this added baggage.

I think your best bet is to get a job in the UK with a US company - particularly a large tech company like IBM - build your reputation there for a couple of years and then talk to them about the possibility of moving out to the US.

If you make it over here and decide you want to stay, then after a couple of years you can talk with your employer about getting sponsored for a green card (which is what I now have). A green card allows you the freedom to switch jobs and is good for a decade before it must be renewed (which I'm told is usually a formality).

The next step beyond that is citizenship, if you so choose.

No, it isn't easy.

Bonkers.
Old 15 April 2004, 07:11 PM
Reib
Scooby Regular

Excellent. Thanks for the replies

So, even if I wanted to just go over there for like 6 months, I would need to get a company to sponsor me? Even if I just did bar work? (soz....all these questions! hehe). I just wanna know the ins and outs etc before I decide to do it.

I notice you're from Seattle bonkers? I went there last year, and loved that place!
Old 15 April 2004, 10:00 PM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

Yer welcome.

Realistically you're not going to be able to come over here and do bar work, at least not legally. H1 visas are for skilled labour only and the sponsoring company has to jump through hoops to prove that you offer something local applicants don't - in my case, COBOL experience.

You might get away with doing it illegally but you takes your chances and if they catch you, expect no mercy - I do not recommend it.

Even if you come in on a visa waiver, they're gonna want to know how long you're staying and see proof that you have a place to stay and enough cash to support yourself. If they're not happy, they are perfectly entitled to stick you on the first flight back home.

Cool, I'm glad you liked it! I love Seattle (and Washington state), it's a great place to live (or just visit) - temperate climate, beautiful scenery (ringed with mountains and sitting on the ocean, well the Puget Sound which is connected to the Pacific anyways). I'll post pics sometime if other folks are interested, I really can't do it justice with words. I would heartily recommend the Pacific NorthWest - Washington and Oregon states to anyone thinking of visiting the US of A.

Wish I could offer you more positive advice Reib but this is the way it is I'm afraid.

Bonkers.