Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

been offered a new job, should I haggle for money??

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2004, 02:30 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question been offered a new job, should I haggle for money??

Hi all

Just been offered a new job. Im quite into the idea of it, I REALLY need to get out of what Im doing - its bringing me down big time, Im sick and depressed of it.

However, the new position requires a bigger commute, so more costs in petrol servicing etc etc....................

So should I haggle over the money offer??

Basically Id probably take the job even if they cant offer me more money...........but another part of me says "well nothing to lose"..........and then my fear is theyll say no(because they obviously have another candidate lined up if not so can offer it to him at the same price)...........

I dont want to get off on the wrong foot(esp as I will probably take the job either way)...............hmmmmmm

any views

Andy
Old 14 April 2004, 02:40 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ask for enough to cover your increased costs , make it reasonable and tell them why you are asking for £x

Steve
Old 14 April 2004, 03:17 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

explain that you'll consider any offer that means you'll be better off when travel has been taken into consideration.
Old 14 April 2004, 04:13 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Never accept the first offer... its allways less than they are willing to pay!
Old 15 April 2004, 10:04 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

the offer they make you will probably be VERY close to their top whack that they'd be prepared to pay you (MOST companies do that). they want you (lets face it, they wouldnt have offered you the job otherwise), so will not risk losing you for a couple of grand... but they will have corporate limits (and politics) to what they can pay.

do NOT, i repeat NOT explain that you want more money because it's a longer commute or because your gas-guzzling car costs a lot to fuel... they won't give a tiny rats ***, and you'll come across as being gready.

instead, explain that the reason you need more money is because you're a quality candidate who's being offered higher wages elsewhere (in other words, other companies value you higher)... but you'd rather work for them as it's your first choice... altho you want to be valued.

if you're going to ask for more, you'll have to be firm and not back down, even if it means risking losing the job... as you don't want to come across as being weak. they'll push you around forever then. if you don't have the ***** to do that in this instance, then dont bother haggling.

largely it depends on whether you think they'll raise your salary at a later date based on performance. if they're worth working for, then they probably will if you're good at your job.

haggling would only get you 1-2k more most probably. whats that long-term (answer: not much, as you'll be getting a bigger raise than that if you prove yourself and they're a good company most likely). depends how much you want the job. you could always ask about incentives (such as a relocation allowance) instead and try to get it made up that way.
Old 15 April 2004, 10:14 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok well I did it

Basically said I was keen to take the position but would like to know if there was any room for negotiation on the salary they had offered me. They said yes there was, what was I thinking. So I told them and we met half way.

I read on a few websites about it, like one said, it wont be the first time theyve been asked. anyway it gained me an extra grand, not a huge amount but itll pay for a really good holiday every year, so well worth doing................I figured I had nowt to lose.