Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

lazer jammer??

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 08:18 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question lazer jammer??

I have been thinking of getting a radar detector of some sort but cant decide on what to get,i understand that you can get a lazer jammer has anyone got one of these ? what are they like ,what do they cost,where from and which one ,and most important do they work?????
thanks for any info on this.
Old 13 April 2004, 08:29 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They work alright - but you will end up getting arrested if they figure out you used a jammer.
Old 13 April 2004, 08:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Jammers are just automatic garage/gate opening devices, slightly modified. When you have automatic gates, the gates have a laser unit which regularly sends out a pulse of invisible laser light to detect if your car is approaching, when you drive up to it, the device in your car detects thus pulse and replies with its own pulse and thus your gates automatically open. Fortunately they use the same laser band that the police laser speedtraps use, and when they send out a pulse to detect your speed, your garage opening device replies and confuses their reading of your speed.
It would be very difficult to prosecute anyone for having such equipment. They are legal to own and use, and it is just (fortunate )coincidence that the two technologies collide. There have been stories of someone being tried for perverting the course of justice, but for that to stick they would need to prove that a crime had actually been committed, and without a reading of your speed they don't have the proof that you broke the law.
When linked to a device such as a Road Angel or Origin B2, they automatically activate for 5 seconds upon detection to allow you to slow down, and then they can get a reading which will (hopefully ) be within the limit.
Old 13 April 2004, 09:13 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow
so who can supply the GARAGE OPENING DEVICE and fit it with a road angle ive always wanted an auto door opener
Old 13 April 2004, 09:27 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

You will find loads of useful information here

I was wondering the same myself about getting a jammer a while back.
In the end i deceided not too. Just in case a laser trap has another copper just down the road. When the gun throws up a error message initially, it could arouse mr plods suspicions. What if he then contacts his mate just down the road
They may not be able to do you for the speed, but they would not take to kindly to perverting the course of justice.
Its a pain in the ar$e, but its not a chance i want to take
I have a detector, but once it lets you know..... its too late

Good luck
Old 13 April 2004, 09:37 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Has there ever been anyone 'done' for using a jammer?

Like the post says above, I'd imagine with a decent layer you'd not have much off a fight on your hands.

I know of a barrister that has a jammer on his car!
Old 13 April 2004, 09:57 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes people have been convicted of using jammers in the UK!
If the police find the unit in your car and you don't have a laser opener on your garage then your shafted!
Old 13 April 2004, 10:06 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Rob D,

do you have any hard evidence to back up this statement??

I believe that there was some chappie in Wales with a jammer installed who repeatedly drove "briskly" past a speed trap - and eventually got stopped. However, i don't know whether he was actually prosecuted - even if only for being a stupid plonker!!

mb
Old 13 April 2004, 10:11 PM
RichieD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob D
If the police find the unit in your car and you don't have a laser opener on your garage then your shafted!
Scuze my Fench... but your talking b@llocks!

Vist http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/ and http://www.pepipoo.com for reviews and the latest on the legality of using laser jammers.
Old 14 April 2004, 12:29 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Radar jammers were illegal because they were unlicensed radio transmissions. I'd like to see the police try and prosecute a laser jammer user for unlicensed emission of light from the front of a car......
Old 29 April 2004, 10:18 AM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieD
Scuze my Fench... but your talking b@llocks!

Vist http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/ and http://www.pepipoo.com for reviews and the latest on the legality of using laser jammers.
Really!
Well it clearly states on ukspeedtraps that people have been arrested and prosecuted whist using a laser jammer!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2744329.stm will be clear enough for you!

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Radar jammers were illegal because they were unlicensed radio transmissions. I'd like to see the police try and prosecute a laser jammer user for unlicensed emission of light from the front of a car.......
They couldn't at present convict you for light emissions because laser jammers are not illegal however they could prosecute you for "perverting the course of justice".

Last edited by Rob D; 29 April 2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 29 April 2004, 11:11 AM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Taken from www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

John Rowling, Safety Camera Partnership "While the legislation has been passed making it illegal to use radar diffusers, there is currently no legislation in place regarding the laser devices," said John Rowling from the Safety Camera Partnership. "Although the government are looking at this important issue. "The use of such devices is extremely dangerous as it gives the motorist licence to drive at inappropriate speeds, putting the safety of other road users at risk. "I hope this arrest acts as a clear warning to those using such devices to enable them to drive in excess of the legal speed limit," he added.

Give it a couple of weeks then

What you need is Origin b2 mate!!
PM me for more info.

Jason
Old 29 April 2004, 12:32 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Rob - you completely missed the point of my post, what I was trying to say in a round about way for comic effect is that every car in the UK has unlicensed light emitters on the front........., they're called headlights. But yes I agree they might be able to do you for perverting the course of justice, but there are many laser jammer users who have not been done. My mate has one (!) and he says he'll take the risk as, in his judgement the chance of being scammed by a van far outweighs the risk of being done for perverting the course of justice.

Jaycee - While I agree the Origin B2 is an excellent bit of kit for advising you of fixed locations it's no use whatever for scamera vans which was the point of this thread. Even with the origin laser detector fitted, by the time it's detected the laser you're nicked.

Oh and kjdmk1, while I'm feeling pedantic there's no such word as ztimulated so laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) is laser, OK?
Old 29 April 2004, 03:23 PM
Bricksh
Scooby Newbie

As someone living in South Wales I find the article about the guy being prosecuted worrying, especially as I've just bought one. It would however appear he was taking the p!5s.

My understanding would be this. That the device has a legitimate use, to open a gargage door or trigger some other laser operated device such as an outside light. As such if you can prove that you own such a device then a conviction would not be possible, unless the law is changed:

My question is therefore what is the cheapest form of laser operated device that I can fit at home to show that I have a legitimate use, where can I get one from and how much do they cost? (I don't have a garage by the way so a gargage door is out of the question)
Old 29 April 2004, 03:44 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Probably some kind of outside light or such like.

Jason
Old 29 April 2004, 05:17 PM
Bricksh
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaycee
Probably some kind of outside light or such like.

Jason
Yes but laser operated?
Old 29 April 2004, 05:19 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

yeah yeah I know! I must've had my head up my **** when I typed that!!

Jason
Old 30 April 2004, 08:51 AM
Bricksh
Scooby Newbie

Does anyone know where you can by the door opening sender unit that can be operated by the LRC 100. I'm sure that can be modified to operate all sorts of useful household devices and serve as a legitimate reason for having the unit installed in our nanny state.