Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advise needed on getting rid of ants?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 05:42 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advise needed on getting rid of ants?

Had problems with ants for the past two years now. They have appeared early this year, and one or two have been found on my kitchen worktop!

I've tried all the powders and gewwy stuff but the sods still return. I've heard you can get ultrasonic-type thingys which pi55es em off for good!
Anyone know where I can get these or has anyone else experienced similar and got any alternative suggestions please?

It just happens that we are rippin the old kitchen out in two weeks ready for a new one. So I'll be searching for small holes where the ants may be getting in.

Thanks

Nick
Old 13 April 2004, 06:06 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Got the same problem.

Ants are predominantly in back garden and had found their way to kitchen which is at front. We left some nippon liquid down for a couple of days and got rid. However we have had an extension built in back and as a result garden is a mess. They keep finding their way in to my new study, god knows how. Get maybe 5-6 a day. Can't have drinks or food in there at the moment

Problem is they have stopped eating the nippon now so have had to resort to the kill on touch stuff.

Found 10's running up and down the bottom of our fence yesterday and they have had the powder treatment, can't find the nest tho' so maybe next door.
Old 13 April 2004, 06:13 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Get one of these

Old 13 April 2004, 06:43 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Talking

we get them coming up through the path in the back garden. Pouring boiling water out of the kettle tends to do the trick although possibly not if you believe in re-incarnation / karma
Old 13 April 2004, 06:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

We had them in the kitchen for years, 'till I ripped out the fridge and freezer (fitted kitchen) and found a they built a huge nest under the freezer....where on earth they got the soil from (earth - soil - very bad pun...not intended). One hoover bag and a match later they were pretty much for gone for good. I found some some holes and gaps round the waste outlets so I sealed them all with expanding foam.

Seems to have got rid of them. Find the nest and you found your problem...just bear in mind 1 nest will spawn more nests...and so on.

Spray loads of ant dust under the kitchen units and fridges/cookers etc so the whole floor under them is dusted...and keep doing whenever you see ants. Also check round the outside walls where your kitchen is....it's likely (like ours) there is a nest under the slabs (they love it under there) and the nest has spread into your kitchen through a gap somewhere. If the slabs are loose, left them and give the ant nest a good dusting.
Old 13 April 2004, 07:03 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

pigeon delouser/demiter stuff. comes in a medicine type bottle. dilute it in a few watering cans of water and they soon die. Havent had ants in ages.

last time though we had a small problem i did use a blow lamp and some petrol.
Old 14 April 2004, 09:14 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Buy one of those plants - venus flytrap, I think it's called - there's a minature one, which is about 10cm high. That gets rid of them up to a point. You can even feed them to it, but it's really not very nice. You watch the ant walk in, & the plant thinks about it for a second or two, before its jaws close on the insect inside. Makes you feel guilty for hours afterwards
I'm not sure that it's the most effective method however, but it worked for us Probably scared them all away
Old 14 April 2004, 09:20 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

I use a 12bore.
Makes a bit of a mess of the kitchen, but the ants don't hang around!
Old 14 April 2004, 09:46 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

We lived in our house for 3 years and in the first year we had them quite bad. Called the council pest control and paid £30 to finish them off. Never had a problem last year but they are creeping back now.
Old 14 April 2004, 09:53 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Intresting thread. I went round to a mates last night to feed his fish and he had Ants all over the kitchen cupboards, floor, worktops, cooker, sink et.c. I'm back round there tonight to finish the little ******* off.

Darren
Old 14 April 2004, 11:55 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

The ultra sonic thingys DO work, get them from any good hardware store. If the ants are outside find the nest and pour boiling water down it. Guaranteed to kill the little blighters.
Old 14 April 2004, 01:53 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Will these remedies work for Decs as well?
Old 14 April 2004, 02:16 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Will these remedies work for Decs as well?
well here's hoping!
Old 14 April 2004, 02:25 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem with woodlice

We see a few about now and again, but last couple of weeks seen about 2 or 3 a day, anywhere downstairs. We have never seen them before, any idea on how to get rid of these things?
Old 14 April 2004, 04:22 PM
VaTaNeN
Scooby Regular

We moved into our old townhouse about 18 months ago and had quite a bad ant problem. They were coming in from the back yard into the kitchen and hallway by the boat load. First thing I did was to clean up the yard out the back as they stay close to areas that offer the greatest food and then keep fanning out on the boundaries. Once I’d cleaned all the crap out of the yard, taking with it a great deal of the food they scavenge on, the problem was halved.

Rather than treating inside I just got a few tubs of the powder and let rip around any points outside where I thought they could have gained entry – outlet pipes for washers, sink, and around sills and doors. Not seen an ant since.

Once clean of them you need to keep yards/floors/surfaces clean or they will return after a while – but if those on the boundaries can’t find anything they will pass the message on to others to move along… usually to your neighbours house

Julian
Old 15 April 2004, 05:59 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Some great advice from most of you.

Thanks

Nick