Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anyone been to sorrento italy?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2004, 01:50 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone been to sorrento italy?

going to sorrento on holiday in june wondering if anyone has been there and has any opinons on the place? things to see etc?

Borich
Old 08 April 2004, 02:00 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

ahhh, sorrento, lovely little place, well, it was when I last went, which was, umm 1989! blimey! long time ago!

Do remember it being nice though. I remember us visiting Capri, which was kinda cool, best bit for me though was a trip to Pompei and walking up Mt Vessuvius (sp?) It's just so odd seeing that. So I'd certainly say go and do that if you've never been there.
Old 08 April 2004, 02:10 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Went about 5 years ago & loved it.
Would recommend the Grand Hotel Royal (http://www.manniellohotels.it/royal/ukframe.html) if your pennies / €uros won't stretch to the Excelsior Vittoria.

D

Last edited by Dunk; 08 April 2004 at 02:11 PM. Reason: dodgy link
Old 08 April 2004, 02:11 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

My parents have been there many times on holiday over the last few years - fab place. My parents love it. Apparantly it is where a lot of the Italians take their holidays - which speaks volumes about the place. It can be very hot aswell, depending on the time of year.

Chris
Old 08 April 2004, 03:33 PM
Biggins
Scooby Regular

Jules & I went to Sorrento last July & were very disappointed. IMHO Italy has always been f'kin expensive but since going all Euro it is now plain stupid. Food & drink was way overpriced, plus remember in Italy you pay for everything, sunbeds, towels etc. When we went it was very hot and too crowded for me, especially in the tiny back streets. We fortunately got a very cheap deal at the "Conca Park" hotel which was very average. If you go over to Capri, make sure you get away from the tourist parts as there are some beautiful spots. Again with Capri, it has become too touristy and overpriced IMHO. We paid £10.50 for x2 stale Cheese & Tomato cobs & x2 waters in marina area!!!!!!!! The best part of our trip was most certainly Pompei & Vessuvius which are a must do.

Best parts of Italy for me are Ravello on the Amalfi coast and Milan & Rome as cities.
Old 08 April 2004, 04:38 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I went there a few years ago and thought it was wonderful. We stayed in a hotel out the back of Sorrento, with a view across the Bay Of Naples, and Vesuvius of course.

Sorrento is a gorgeous town, with narrow streets and great character. There are loads of attractions such as Pompeii and Herculaneum (which is better preserved, as it was covered with mud, not ash). Capri is well worth a visit, though rather crowded!

The only place I didn't like around there was Naples, which looked like a dump!

Definitely worth a holiday there. Good food and drink too - it's expensive, but so is most of Italy!
Old 08 April 2004, 05:20 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

ah thanks for the replys, guys

Borich