Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed camera justification (again)

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2004, 08:10 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Speed camera justification (again)

To quote greasemonkey from this thread about a 206 GTi fatac, but not wanting to hijack that thread.

The pictures tend to indicate that this guy wasn't merely exceeding the published speed limit, it would appear that he was carrying waaaay too much speed for the road concerned. Thus, it's not really speeding, rather yet another case of the inappropriate use of speed. Driving recklessly, stupidly, call it what you will.

Nevertheless I'm sure that this accident will be seized upon by the "speed kills" brigade, and that the fatality will be used to justify a speed camera in the area.
There are some roads like this round my way. Quite safe to do 80mph in a NSL, long straights no junctions, excellent visibility. Many drivers do it. But, on a Saturday night, the lads are out racing, probably drunk, often in stolen cars. Just about every other weekend some poor roadsign gets flattened. Eventually a camera will appear. Will it stop the pissed up kids in stolen cars flattening street furniture, NO. Will innocent motorists get caught up in the crossfire, yes.

I will have contributed towards the £40000 that will not cure the actual problem.

<rant over>
Old 29 March 2004, 11:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Where I live, there are NO fixed cameras, but LOADS of mobile ones.

Despite the fact that the mobile ones only lower the number of accidents (according to Govt figs) by a ratio of 1:2.2 to fixed ones, guess which type our local Scam partnership wants to buy 5 more of?

And guess which type generates 4 times the fines of the other?????

Alcazar
Old 29 March 2004, 11:59 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

the date is approaching!!!!

be like sheep and vote em in for another term..

be fleeced for ever...

or stand up and show them that the motoists are fed up...

its not a "they screwed up on this policy or that matter"

is a straight "we dont like you and you policy on speed cams"

therefore we are voting you out!!!

Mart
Old 29 March 2004, 12:05 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

That's so they can hide a van more often on the M180.

They park one of their scamera vans on the grass verge within the zig-zag's of a Zebra crossing in Goole. Which just happens to be the entrance to a park. I'm not quite sure how safe or legal that is, but I'll get a picture one day.

I've lived in the area for over 30 years and I can't actually remember any kind of serious RTA on that road, and as they've just gone back to some government minister to say the camera's are used in places that meet the guidelines (or something like that), they should very quickly be able to provide me with the same statistics to say why the camera is there.........

Has anybody ever done this?
Old 29 March 2004, 12:25 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If you look at safespeed the problem is that the rules that govern the placing of speed cameras are cocked up anyway.