A sensible answer to speed cameras at last

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2004, 09:33 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A sensible answer to speed cameras at last

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/3569249.stm

Maybe they've at last realised its better to slow vehicles down before they reach a hazard than to take a photo of them after they have been speeding past it.

Chip.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:11 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

Last time I went to visit my m8 in Norfolk they were everywhere. They work so much better at slowing traffic down than the revenue-generators. Sadly they dont generate revenue so they wont be taking over. Shame really.

Mark
Old 26 March 2004, 11:20 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I've seen these things dotted around Nottingham. They're a good idea but I think once most people know they don't actually incur fines they will just ignore them.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:55 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

They put one of these up in Belfast that shows your speed and warns you to slow down - Bad idea - lets see who can get a piccie of the highest speed
Old 27 March 2004, 01:27 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yeah they are great just watch the chav brigade on a friday night seeing who can clock the highest speed past them another waste of public money
Old 27 March 2004, 01:41 AM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

The solar-powered signs sense how fast motorists are travelling and warn drivers to reduce their speed.
Does that mean you can speed when it's dark then?

Apparently it's the "embarrasment factor" of other mototrists and people around you generally knowing you are speeding that makes people slow down when this sort of sign is used..

However, anyone who drives around with a 2 foot Scooby Doo stuffed toy in their car won't give a toss about that will they..
Old 27 March 2004, 02:12 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by OllyK
Yeah they are great just watch the chav brigade on a friday night seeing who can clock the highest speed past them another waste of public money

Hey - You callin me a Chav?
Old 27 March 2004, 07:25 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

If they also put a speed camera 50 yards past such signs then I'd be all for it - at least you couldnt whinge that you werent warned!

I dont think these signs indicate what spped you were travelling at - they just flash the speed limit you're in / entering!
Old 27 March 2004, 09:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They do work well, especially for those who are accidentally a bit over the limit. Not so popular with most authorities I am sure because they don't raise revenue but Scooby96's idea af a speed camera just past one is a good idea. Nothing will ever stop the deliberate speeders except heavy penalties.

Les
Old 27 March 2004, 09:53 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I thnk they're worthwhile, especially the mobile ones which suddenly you come upon and they display your speed and a smiley/not smiley face - just think if that had been a plod with a laser - you'd've just been nicked

(If speeding of course)
Old 27 March 2004, 02:03 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I think they're better than cameras, as for most law-abiding drivers, they serve as a warning, and slow drivers down.

The older ones that flash "Slow Down" have been proven over the years to be far more effective at reducing the speed of vehicles at a given location than inserting a speed-camera, where most people don't realise they were going too fast until a letter appears telling them so, with a fine.

As for the cretins out there who may try to do what Olly suggests - well, we haven't got any solutions for them, as they simply need to grow up. But they're in the minority.
Old 27 March 2004, 06:15 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Boring fact for you I make the sign part of those for Solagen.

Believe it or not they do slow traffic down quite well.
Old 29 March 2004, 02:43 AM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

If any of you travel the A346/A338 between Swindon & Salisbury you will see lots of differents speed activated signs. Some warn of sharp bends, others of speed limits. As you approach Tidworth from Swindon, there is a sign that flashes up a picture of a gatso camera, whilst still in the national limit. About 300metres further on is a camera in the 30 limit. You will be surprised at how many idiots still get caught!!
Old 29 March 2004, 05:18 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

They use these in France and Switzerland round where I am and they work very well indeed as they are quite mobile. It's probably partly to do with the embarassment factor and also the surprise factor as well. With the fixed radars, everyone knows where they are, scream up to them, brake hard and tootle past. Once past the radar, the right pedal gets put to the floor again. These things pop up on a road from one day to the next and I find they actually make you think about the speed you are doing in and around towns and villages.
Old 29 March 2004, 06:31 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Perhaps most speeders are not aware they are over the speed limit, modern cars seem so slow at 30 mph, and if your not paranoid about Gatso's and the like then its easy to creep over by anything up to 10 mph (if my wife is anything to go by!), so these signs do work in those cases. They dont leave you feeling anti police or as if youve been raped ...........
STEVE........
Old 29 March 2004, 09:16 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

theres loads round here. better than speed cameras i'd say. with speed cameras its, "whoops, a speed camera, slow down, then boot back down."
Old 29 March 2004, 09:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The problem with so many of these types of things is that they are often inapropriately located and are permenantly on. In Rugy there is a flashing "Slow Down" sign on the approach to a school, excellent idea. The trouble is the speed limit is 30mph along there, the sign triggers at 25mph and is operational all the time. ENd result, people have started to ignore them.

I think the "Slow Down" is better than a displayed speed as it avoids the idiots seeing who can get the highest speeds (have seen this down in Devon). However, they need to be set to trigger at the correct speeds and in the case of schools etc, be time sensitive. I think the speed limits outside schools etc should be variable. At times when the kids are going in to and coming out of school the speed limit should be dropped to 20 mph and the rest of the time it should revert to 30. Also need to stop the Mum's parking their 4x4's on the zig-zags approach pedestrian corssing and mounting the pavements etc when picking little Johnny up to then drive them the 300 yards home from school
Old 29 March 2004, 12:43 PM
jk100
Scooby Regular

The sign refers to a 20 mph speed limit. Can that be enforced? I.e. I thought 30 mph was the slowest legal limit on the roads
Old 29 March 2004, 12:47 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

They have a couple of these in Tintwisle, trouble is they at 10yds AFTER the speed camera's