Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do the police do this??

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2004, 02:59 PM
WR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why do the police do this??

Weekend before last a guy was killed crossing the road in the early hours in the village up from where we live. Local paper reported it but no indication of what the cause was. Since then, we have had the police with their mobile speed cameras checking vehicles passing the spot where this happened on four out of six days that I have been past. Prior to the accident I don't recall them ever doing this at this spot.

So, why do they do this?

Is it a case of seeing if there is a specific speed problem at that location? If so, what will testing in the morning prove seeing as the accident was in the early hours.

What are your thoughts as most people I have mentioned this to seem to think it is pointless.
Old 26 March 2004, 03:05 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

The samw thing happened in the vilage I used to live in, a young lad was killed one night by a 4x4. They never got the driver, probably just out of the pub.
Old 26 March 2004, 03:09 PM
WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barrybudden
The samw thing happened in the vilage I used to live in, a young lad was killed one night by a 4x4. They never got the driver, probably just out of the pub.
The thing that gets me is that people have started to make assumptions that the accident must have been speed related. The guy driving the car that hit the guy that died could well have been doing nothing wrong but the police doing the speed checks has been making people think he must have been speeding.

The guy driving the car lives round the corner to us and although I don't know him I can only imagine how he must feel at the moment assuming he did nothing wrong.
Old 26 March 2004, 03:18 PM
jas03WRX
Scooby Regular

never make assumptions.....

could of been over the limit (drink wise)
could have been over the limit (speed wise)
person killed could have been pissed and wondered into the road...

thing is, a fatal accident has happened and the Police need to do there job. And if that means checking the speed at which people use the road then fair be it....

If you stick to the speed limits when driving through villages it shouldn’t affect you....

so where is the problem??
Old 26 March 2004, 03:24 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

As I understand it, 40 mph is enough to kill in 9 / 10 cases.
Old 26 March 2004, 03:30 PM
jas03WRX
Scooby Regular

and as i understand it... it’s 30 through most villages or built up areas.
Old 26 March 2004, 03:31 PM
WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jas03WRX
never make assumptions.....

could of been over the limit (drink wise)
could have been over the limit (speed wise)
person killed could have been pissed and wondered into the road...

thing is, a fatal accident has happened and the Police need to do there job. And if that means checking the speed at which people use the road then fair be it....

If you stick to the speed limits when driving through villages it shouldn’t affect you....

so where is the problem??
Not saying there is a problem. Just annoys me that so many people (not on here he adds hastily ) have made assumptions that the guy who was driving must have been speeding. He may well have been but who knows, nothing for sure yet. I just thought if that was me driving and I knew I hadn't been speeding then on top of the guilt that I would no doubt feel for the accident I'd be pretty upset if people were also assuming an accident was my fault.

I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong by the way, I was just curious as to the reasoning behind why the police do the speed testing at a time that is completely different to that when the accident occured.
Old 26 March 2004, 03:47 PM
jas03WRX
Scooby Regular

thing is how many people in the village complain of speeding anyway??
but I would imagine the parents of the lad killed would feel pretty short changed if the police did nothing... so as i said, thay have a job to do.... all be it a pain to the average motorist, but thats life.

WR1,... im not having a go. emailing txt like this sometime gets mis-interpreted. quite agree with what you are saying, but like i said Police have a job to do is well. Turning up at a scene with a smashed car and a body lying in the road will invite an investigation.

Probably find in a few weeks time that you’ll never see them again
Old 26 March 2004, 04:53 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

We've campagned for years but the speed limit through our rural village is still 40 mph, even though you come from a 60mph limit round a blind corner and within 50 yards arrive at the village primary school! The police say the limit is appropriate because the road is straight past the school and most people stay close to the speed limit i.e majority of traffic is under 50!!!! When someone gets killed (hopefully not my kids), then they will do something about it.
Old 26 March 2004, 06:19 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

speed camera next matey!!!

i mean thats a high accident hot spot now!!!
Old 26 March 2004, 07:43 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5 286
speed camera next matey!!!

i mean thats a high accident hot spot now!!!
Probably why they done the survey - make sure there are enough speeders through that area so that the camera will quickly pay for itself and then make them loads of profit!