Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Should I have a word with him?
Yes, I would if it was my girlfriend.
44.00%
No, leave it alone. It will only cause more trouble.
56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Can I do this???

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2004, 04:09 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Can I do this???

Last December (day before Christmas eve) my fiancee was involved in a car accident, the accident wasn't her fault and luckily she wasn't injured.

The problem now is that the guy who hit her is lying about what happened His statement to the insurance seems totally different to the one her gave to the police

He wrote off her car and left her without any transport for a month and she had to go out and replace the car and is now out of pocket

After the accident the stupid ****** drove half a mile from the accident scene then parked down an dark side road and locked his car I drove 10 miles to check she was OK and when I found her OK I drove off to look for him and found him. His first words to me were "What happened"

Now he has given some bullsh!t to the insurance that she was on his side of the road and hit him Her car was struck in the middle by the rear of his car because he lost control and hit her so all 4 corners of her car were undamaged.

The insurance have now written to her and tried offering 50/50 but she was no way at fault

She now has to keep writing letters, making phone calls etc because of him lying He works in the building right behind me and it wasn't even his car! He has caused her so much upset and it's ruining her life. She's not coming out again tonight because she had to go to work early this morning to type up a letter to the insurance. This has been going on since Christmas eve of all days

can I go and have a word with the lying sh1te and tell him what he is doing to an innocent girl?

Will I end up in trouble with anyone?

Thanks

Last edited by Paulo P; 25 March 2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 25 March 2004, 04:32 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough call, Paul, dont think other than the normal channels open for decent peeps u can do much; yet another example of what total nonsense insurance is- my open suggestion would be to look for a quick settlement and move on together- these things are allways protracted and rarely end up how you think they should, as long as the two of you arnt on your knees finacially, take the strength your relashionship gives both of you and start focusing on the positive.

Cheers

Rich
Old 25 March 2004, 04:39 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I think you need to have a word with the peelers and complain about him leaving the scene of an accident. Nothing will probably get done, but he'll still have to go and make a recorded statement - if he's bullsh!tting then the chances are that'll he slip up somewhere and give the police and insurers differing stories.

something similar happened to me a few weeks ago - if he thinks you're going to drop it, he'll probably take the lead so to speak.

you should f*** him. if he's telling porkies to the insurers its not fair on those of us with legitimate claims.
Old 25 March 2004, 04:39 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

What words will you have.
A pregnant lady ran into the back of one of my cars many years ago sending me into the car in front.
She admitted liability and I waited while her husband/partner came to pick her up.
On the insurance claim she denied liability etc so I did go to her place.
Ended up her husband had made the decision regarding the claim for her.
Fortunately I had some friends with me who stopped my conversation with him.
The cars just a piece of metal at the end of the day. How much is your relationship and freedom worth.
All written with the assumption you are more sensible than me and would only talk to the guy....

Edit

See above. Messiah sounds like the voice of reason I got all those years ago
Use the plod Luke ...

Last edited by Bajie; 25 March 2004 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Agreeing with messiah
Old 25 March 2004, 04:50 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reponses

The police were involved at the time and said there was nothing they could do about him leaving the scene

If this goes to court like they have suggested will they be able to view his statement? The police kept asking Catherine (my fiancee) if she saw anything run out into the road so I guess that means that he told them that something ran out but on his statement to the insurance he said she came round the bend on her side of the road I think that could swing it if they got a copy of his original statement.
Old 25 March 2004, 04:59 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

His statement to the insurance seems totally different to the one her gave to the police
he or her? If he, then he's committed purjury surely? Either that or it's a fraudulent claim. (I'm no solicitor though, some here are). Try five-o too.

He might be happy to lie to the insurance co. but the police is another matter. I'm sure once your fiancees insurance company are aware of this, they can contact the police and further action can be then taken.

Similar thing is currently happening to a mate. He was stationary and a dippy woman reversed into the back of his car. insurance companies trying to go for 50:50. FFS! my mate has a witness too (although the other person is trying to claim that they are biased). the witness is a neighbour who he's spoken to twice before so hardly a mate and not related either.

What ever happened to taking responsibility for your actions in this country? It's a joke.
Old 25 March 2004, 04:59 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

tricky one, I agree. I also sympathise greatly with the timing of it and the fact it has dragged on for so long.

Dont go round there is my opinion, it will hardly get him to change his mind will it. This sort of antic is not the action of a normal/rational person.
You say that he has already given different stories to the plod and the insurance? Thats a start.
I would hold out and respond to the insurance about a 50/50 split being grossly unfair. I would then go to one of these no claim/no blame cowboy outfits and begin a personal claim against him.
NOTE: I PERSONALLY HATE THESE W4NKY OUTFITS BUT AM USING THIS AS A REVENGE, NEVER WOULD I RECOMMEND IT TO A NORMAL PERSON IN A NORMAL SITUATION.
you have three years to make a claim, are you sure she has no headaches or sudden sharp pains re-occuring in her shoulder/neck?

by the time they lay a paper at his door for a £5000 claim, admitting insurance fraud (which ultimately, this is what he is committing) will be the soft way out.

secondly, ring the GISC (get a number from directory enquiries) and start a complaint against his insurers stating they are knowingly assisting a bogus claim for their own financial gain, act in the upmost professional way and keep your cool at all times.

Dont lose sight of your goal, getting a fair payout for the damage.

Write back to your insurance company and explain what is happening, I assume the claim is against his company, yours will be very upset that they are asking for a 50/50 because they will have (assuming fully comp) to make up the difference.

Finally, find out if he was legitimately allowed to be driving the car at the time and pursue that matter with the plod.

the reason I say dont go round is because if it was my wife in the same situation the fukcer would be hanging by his ankles from his own bedroom window right now, praying I dont have an itchy ****, and that aint the right way to go about it if the truth be told.
If I can help more just PM.

Andy
Old 25 March 2004, 05:03 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Dracoro
he or her? If he, then he's committed purjury surely? Either that or it's a fraudulent claim. (I'm no solicitor though, some here are). Try five-o too.

He might be happy to lie to the insurance co. but the police is another matter. I'm sure once your fiancees insurance company are aware of this, they can contact the police and further action can be then taken.

Similar thing is currently happening to a mate. He was stationary and a dippy woman reversed into the back of his car. insurance companies trying to go for 50:50. FFS! my mate has a witness too (although the other person is trying to claim that they are biased). the witness is a neighbour who he's spoken to twice before so hardly a mate and not related either.

What ever happened to taking responsibility for your actions in this country? It's a joke.
Sorry that was a typo it should have read he.
Old 25 March 2004, 05:10 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
tricky one, I agree. I also sympathise greatly with the timing of it and the fact it has dragged on for so long.

Dont go round there is my opinion, it will hardly get him to change his mind will it. This sort of antic is not the action of a normal/rational person.
You say that he has already given different stories to the plod and the insurance? Thats a start.
I would hold out and respond to the insurance about a 50/50 split being grossly unfair. I would then go to one of these no claim/no blame cowboy outfits and begin a personal claim against him.
NOTE: I PERSONALLY HATE THESE W4NKY OUTFITS BUT AM USING THIS AS A REVENGE, NEVER WOULD I RECOMMEND IT TO A NORMAL PERSON IN A NORMAL SITUATION.
you have three years to make a claim, are you sure she has no headaches or sudden sharp pains re-occuring in her shoulder/neck?

by the time they lay a paper at his door for a £5000 claim, admitting insurance fraud (which ultimately, this is what he is committing) will be the soft way out.

secondly, ring the GISC (get a number from directory enquiries) and start a complaint against his insurers stating they are knowingly assisting a bogus claim for their own financial gain, act in the upmost professional way and keep your cool at all times.

Dont lose sight of your goal, getting a fair payout for the damage.

Write back to your insurance company and explain what is happening, I assume the claim is against his company, yours will be very upset that they are asking for a 50/50 because they will have (assuming fully comp) to make up the difference.

Finally, find out if he was legitimately allowed to be driving the car at the time and pursue that matter with the plod.

the reason I say dont go round is because if it was my wife in the same situation the fukcer would be hanging by his ankles from his own bedroom window right now, praying I dont have an itchy ****, and that aint the right way to go about it if the truth be told.
If I can help more just PM.

Andy
Thanks for the great advice Andy. I just wish I could see his statement. She has kept the same story all the way along and as you will see in a minute when I put pictures up it looks pretty obvious that her car was struck by his but they won't have it
Old 25 March 2004, 05:12 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

http://paulpalmer.fotopic.net/c141806.html

Here are all the photos that I took the day after the accident. This is what I am using as evidence. Her car was the golf his (well his colleagues) was the megan

Paul
Old 25 March 2004, 05:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

hmm. I'd be livid too and would consider 'having a word'. But I'd not do it at the end of the day. Simply as if you have a word and it gets out of hand, he'll call the police and that you don't want, mainly as it'll get back to the insurance company and they'll just **** you around even more, snidey ******* that they are, they'll use anything to try and get out of paying out.

What I would do is a get a photo of the ****, then get a punch bag, attach his picture to it and beat the crap out of that. Won't help the claim at all, but might make you feel better.
Old 25 March 2004, 05:23 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
hmm. I'd be livid too and would consider 'having a word'. But I'd not do it at the end of the day. Simply as if you have a word and it gets out of hand, he'll call the police and that you don't want, mainly as it'll get back to the insurance company and they'll just **** you around even more, snidey ******* that they are, they'll use anything to try and get out of paying out.

What I would do is a get a photo of the ****, then get a punch bag, attach his picture to it and beat the crap out of that. Won't help the claim at all, but might make you feel better.
hahahaha I'll get her one too I think you are right about not having a word though, I'm a nice guy but I do think because he has hurt her so much I'd be likely to lay him out And that wouldn't help!
Old 25 March 2004, 05:37 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

1 - See if it's to late to do him for leaving the scene of the accident, that's three points and a hefty fine. It also helps when you then take him through the civil court for the fraudulent ins statment I was hit by a guy who f**ked off, then wouldn't stop when I turned round & gave chase, the did him for both leaving the scene AND driving without due care & attention. Both coppers involved were brilliant & couldn't have been more helpful.

2 - If the police were involved in the first place, I think you are entitled to submit (or at least refer to) copies of all statement's & incident reports with your claim.

3 - His insurance company may just be taking the proverbial, keep on at your company to make sure the don't accept ANY responsibility.

4 - You could always pass his name & address on to Astraboy I'm sure he could have a 'word' whilst you and the mrs establish an alibi at a nice restaurant
Old 26 March 2004, 11:53 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
1 - See if it's to late to do him for leaving the scene of the accident, that's three points and a hefty fine. It also helps when you then take him through the civil court for the fraudulent ins statment I was hit by a guy who f**ked off, then wouldn't stop when I turned round & gave chase, the did him for both leaving the scene AND driving without due care & attention. Both coppers involved were brilliant & couldn't have been more helpful.
The police say that he didn't leave the scene because by law you have 24 hours to call the Police and report the accident I didn't know this.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:55 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

you do have 24hrs to report the accident but technically he still left the scene of an accident and I would hav thought that would count ?
Old 26 March 2004, 11:59 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Smile

2 - If the police were involved in the first place, I think you are entitled to submit (or at least refer to) copies of all statement's & incident reports with your claim.
Let's hope so The police took statements from both parties on the night.
Old 26 March 2004, 12:31 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

From what I have seen it is now standard practise for insurance companies to try and pin you with 50/50. I think they do it because it is cheaper in terms of their administration time etc. if you accept that than it is if it goes further, or all the way to court.

Out of the 4 people I know who have recently been involved in RTA's that were not their fault they have ALL had the other party lie, and have ALL had the insurance company try and settle 50/50, despite in 2 cases there being undisputable evidence to the contrary, and in one case a police report putting responsibility on the other party.

My advise would be to get a solicitor acting for you if you havn't already got one via legal protection and make sure you make it categorically clear that you will not be accepting any liability and that you have ample evidence to support your case. Also make sure they know about all the police reports that should be made available to them. If the evidence is there to back you up then the other insurance company WILL fold - its cheaper than to fight it.

If you are already doing all that then just keep doing it! Keep on at your insurance company/solicitor you will win in the end!

Don't go and have a word, he will go running shreiking to the cops saying you are threatening him and it will jeopardise your claim. IF the claim does not go your way (unlikely from what I can see) then that is the time to "wish an accident" on the ****.
Old 26 March 2004, 12:31 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

3 - His insurance company may just be taking the proverbial, keep on at your company to make sure the don't accept ANY responsibility.
We have no intention on giving up. We know what the truth is and we'll stick to it.
Old 26 March 2004, 12:35 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
If you are already doing all that then just keep doing it! Keep on at your insurance company/solicitor you will win in the end!
We are. I have now given up on the thought that this will be sorted out soon and I've now convinced her that I will have to insure her car for her until her claim is settled. There is no way she will be able to insure a vr6 with this claim hanging over her
Old 26 March 2004, 12:36 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Many thanks to everyone for your help I am going to print this out and take it home to her.