Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

mates daughter (FAO: women)

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2004, 10:02 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mates daughter (FAO: women)

a mate of mine found birth control pills in his daughter's room. problem is she's only 13. he confronted her and (after yelling at her dad for being in her room) she claims the doctor prescribed them to her because she gets horrendously bad and irregular periods. she claims shes not having sex, nor has she ever had it.

is she bull****ting her dad, or do doctors really prescribe the pill for this reason? she claims she was given some other medication first, but it didnt work, so the doc put her on the pill, and its allegedly done the trick.

her mum is no longer around, so its just the dad raising her, which is why im asking if this sounds legit. she's a good kid, not at all slutty, so i would tend to believe her, but just wanted some other opinions to pass on to my mate.

still, if its bs, its better than any of my old "i was holding it for a mate" excuses when i was caught with things i shouldnt have had

cheers
Old 25 March 2004, 10:05 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

The Daughter probably isn't lying as the reason she gave is perfectly legitimate. If she is lying then at least she's on the pill........
Old 25 March 2004, 10:08 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

My missus used to have to go sick from school 3 days a month because of period pain.

Doctor gave her the pill which helped a lot by all accounts.

But this was many years ago, so whether they still do that now, I don't know.

Cheers

Ian
Old 25 March 2004, 10:10 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

not a woman but was being nosey

I know there are a few different types of the "pill" about and they do have effects on the periods of a woman, some will make it worse and some will reduce it so the woman is very light when "on" my misses sister had a problem with finding a "pill" that helped her out too.

hope its off some sort of help Id say the excuse could well be legit but who will ever know.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:10 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

She's probably telling the truth, especially in view of her dad's reaction. She probably didn't mention it to him when prescribed because she feared he'd think the worst, which he did....

Me thinks he has some very large bridges to mend.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:12 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

thanks - i'll let him know that its a legit reason - that should be good enough to put his mind at rest, as his daughter is generally VERY trustworthy

Originally Posted by weapon69
If she is lying then at least she's on the pill.......
which is what i said to him initially, but then he replied with "but that implies she COULD be having unprotected sex".

at 13, she'd realise she could get pregnant without the pill, but im not sure that she's be fully clued up on std's and the risks.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:17 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Well now is the time for that parent/child chat about how to protect herself. She's not necessarily going to go out and use the information, but talked about in a responsible and adult way, she'll digest it and hopefully remember it all when she does start experimenting.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:17 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
She's probably telling the truth, especially in view of her dad's reaction. She probably didn't mention it to him when prescribed because she feared he'd think the worst, which he did....

Me thinks he has some very large bridges to mend.
how so?

he didn't over-react or have a go at her (so he says.. and i believe him).

he just found the pills (accidently.. he wasnt going thru her stuff) and asked her why she had them. when she explained he was just like "oh... okay" and hasn't talked about it with her since (he's trying to establish if she could be bs'ing first).

i agree with your reasoning why she didnt mention it to him when prescribed, but look at it from his point of view - he's raising a daughter on his own, and finding evidence that she may be having sex this young must come as quite a shock.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:22 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

TBH it's very common for young girls to be prescribed the pill to help with hormones and stuff. I'm sure she wouldn't come out with that reason at 13 yrs old if it wasn't true.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:22 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Yes it would knock the heck out of me too, and probably lead me to act out of character. It was the 'confronted her' bit in you original post that lead me to think he blew up slightly. I've never had a confrontation that didn't involved one party being angry/upset with another.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:23 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Absolutely sure some doctors will prescribe "The Pill" in an effort to relieve pain from periods. My GF used to get them really badly and had to try many types of pill to find one that helped reduce her pain.

I'd like to think I'd do the same with my daughter in his position - enquire but not pry, show concern but not repremand. Probably did the right thing IMO.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:24 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Hate to say it but if she's that clued up, and actually using the pill for contraception - she'd have the heavy period reasoning well rehearsed....

Its a shame that her dad wasn't aware of her heavy period problems beforehand and the resulting trips to the doctors. Also, doesn't an adult have to collect these type of perscriptions?

If the change of parenting is very recent then fair play, also where exactly did he find them? At the back of a drawer, in her purse or were they lying around on the table? If the latter then I doubt she has anything to hide.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:29 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Its a shame that her dad wasn't aware of her heavy period problems beforehand and the resulting trips to the doctors. Also, doesn't an adult have to collect these type of perscriptions?
No you don't need an adult. I was prescribed exactly the same thing at 14 and my parents never knew.
Old 25 March 2004, 10:30 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Why didn't you tell them? (if you don't mind me asking)
Old 25 March 2004, 10:32 AM
ali66
Scooby Regular

She might have just found it a really hard/embarrasing thing to discuss with her Dad. Doctors prescribe the pill for that reason all the time,although they usually like to give it a few months to see if it settles down naturally-I also missed school because of it & I have a 13 year old daughter who suffers so I'd definetly believe your friends daughter.

ali
Old 25 March 2004, 10:34 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Why didn't you tell them? (if you don't mind me asking)
It was none of their business as far as i was concerned LOL
Old 25 March 2004, 10:34 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Does she have a boyfriend though?
At 13, she is probably telling the truth but at least she has taken some responsibility if she is lying.
I went on the pill fairly young, my parents didn`t know though, it helped my periods BUT also found it convenient too when I was having a long term relationship.........

However, it has given me problems further down the line which apparently are caused by being on the pill at such an early age!!!!!!!

Sit down together, don`t shout at her, and try to get to the bottom of it....if you can`t do that then have you got a close female relative that she can talk to and make it someone she is close to.

I find I get on really well with my 3 nephews as I am more their age than their parents.........
Old 25 March 2004, 10:37 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 12yr-old sister and I think I'd either hit the roof and fear the worst or pass out if I found birth control pills in her room. Thankfully she's very close to my mum and I'm confident she'd speak to her about any problems.

I sympathise with the father as they grow up so damn fast these days and you want to keep their innocence as long as possible.

Anyway, it sounds like he didn't do either and he should just sit down with her and discuss all the implaications of those pills. At the end of the day he has to trust that his daughter will do the right thing and listen to his help and advice. He certainly doesn't want to accuse her as she'll take that simply as a lack of trust and that will be much harder to mend.

Stefan
Old 25 March 2004, 10:43 AM
ali66
Scooby Regular

I didn't tell my parents either-it just wasn't the sort of thing I could talk about with them, I think they were both embarrased by the subject (periods & sex were never mentioned-I found out about the former from my Gran) & that it turn made me feel awkward talking to them so I just didn't tell them.
Old 25 March 2004, 11:47 AM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

The pills will be for period pain, a couple of my mates have been on them for that reason
Old 25 March 2004, 11:54 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

My daughter is coming up to 12. She and her mum have already been to the GP to discuss this very thing.

It's hard to accept because it's another sign that my baby isn't a baby any more. But it beats the hell out of having her miserable as sin because of her periods.

As far as your mate is concerned, while I agree he needs to have the responsible sex conversation, this is probably the wrong time. Let him get this bit out of the way first, then he can bring it up without being accused of having a go or over-reacting.

SB
Old 25 March 2004, 12:09 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Drs really do prescribe the pill for horrendous periods. I suffered with them every month for 2 - 3 days when younger. The usual pain killing over-the-counter drugs didn't work. One time was so bad that we called the Dr out and he thought I had appendicitus. He gave me muscle injections.

Finally when I was 16 my mum & I went to the Dr after I became immune to the latest tablets that the Dr had prescribed. We went through all the other options and found that for me, the best was to go on the pill.

Sorted them out instantly. First proper pain-free month I'd had.
Old 25 March 2004, 12:11 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I thought girls didn't start their periods until they got married?
Old 25 March 2004, 01:15 PM
yoza
BANNED

lol @ Jllang.
Old 25 March 2004, 01:34 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

PMSL@ jlanng

No mate you're getting confused with the headache that comes on if they lie down

The best treatment for this, i have found is a dissection of the partners wallet and you will then find the headache subsides into a period of euphoria for them
Old 25 March 2004, 01:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I can understand why her dad would have gone a little mental, I'd probably do the same, but on the flipside, at least she was being careful if she was up to anything.

I have heard of birth control pills being prescribed to lessen period pains. A little search on the net might bring up some information.

Can he not ask the doctor about this prescription? I know there is the confidential aspect but as she's under 16 is she still seen as a child and therefore a parent or guardian can ask the doctor about medication and such like? or am I totally wrong here?
Old 25 March 2004, 02:04 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Apparently it is quite a common thing for doctors to do, it certainly worked for my step-daughter. She was transformed from being a bad-tempered, vicious, psychopath (and I'm not exaggerating ) into someone who was just moody 5 days of every month.
Old 25 March 2004, 02:32 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
It was the 'confronted her' bit in you original post that lead me to think he blew up slightly.
yeah.. my bad. "confronted her" wasnt intended as an aggressive confrontation.. more that id meant "spoke to her".
Old 25 March 2004, 02:36 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
If the change of parenting is very recent then fair play, also where exactly did he find them? At the back of a drawer, in her purse or were they lying around on the table? If the latter then I doubt she has anything to hide.
it isnt a recent change of parenting, so i guess in that situation you could argue that the dad should have been more clued up. but at the end of the day, you can only know what your kids are telling you or indicating. she hadnt spoke to him once about the periods prior to this, and she went to the doctors on her own. i would guess, as many women on here have stated, it is an embarassing enough topic to be talking to a female parent about... let alone your dad.

im PRETTY sure he said he found them in one of her clothes drawers where he was putting her clothes away after he'd washed them. im certain he wasnt intentionally prying, as he had no reason to believe she might have been on the pill prior to finding them.
Old 25 March 2004, 02:39 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JoanUK300
Does she have a boyfriend though?
afaik, no she doesnt. but then you never know as she might not tell her dad that anyway.

However, it has given me problems further down the line which apparently are caused by being on the pill at such an early age!!!!!!!
would you care to elaborate on that, by pm if necessary. i wont take offense if you dont want to of course, but would like to pass this info onto my mate so he can pass it on to his daughter if there are risks involved with the current incarnations of the pill.

Quick Reply: mates daughter (FAO: women)