Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a new video camera?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2004, 02:49 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Buying a new video camera?

Can anyone help with this? Tell me what to get, or what to avoid?

I know nothing about them, never had one before, but I just assume that we're more likely to use a small one as a big one is a PITA to carry.

Is fully digital memory better than tapes?

- Want something as small as possible (the Sony "packet of ****" ones look nice);
- Respectable editing either on the machine or via PC (wife is a retired TV journalist);
- ROBUST;
- Decent battery life;
- decent memory without paying a fortune (Sony memory sticks are a monopoly aren't they, or are there cheap third party ones?);
- Photo ability handy, but we're pleased with our old 28-300 Nikon+Tamron SLR (and don't even know how to use that much);
- Zoom and night shooting presumably useful.

Wife suggested the Sony DCR TRV 33,whatever that is.

Many thanks - either for good guidance sites, or for what NOT to go for in your experience (pointless features or things that go wrong)

Brendan
Old 23 March 2004, 04:43 PM
ali66
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've just bought the panasonic NV-GS70B & are really pleased with it,it does everything we want & more.It has 3x540ccd,leica dicoma lens with 10xoptical/500x digital zoom.1.7 mega pixel still images,progressive photoshot.Is SD/multicard adaptable,easy pc connection with usb link.Does consecutive still shots,MPEG4movie,has a skin enhancer & colour night view & LSD light panel,zoom microphone,built in flash,DV in & analogue input. Haven't used it to its full potential yet,but well worth a look at! Its bigger than a packet of ****,but small enough to carry about easily etc,don't know if that helps or not........

ali
Old 23 March 2004, 05:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

You won't go far wrong with Sony. Wife's school have a Panasonic, and we borrowed that to try, but still opted for the Sony, though I couldn't fault the Pana.

Ours can be downloaded onto PC for editing, but not reloaded onto the tape again, which dearer ones can.

The Sony Info-Lithium batteries are brilliant.

Alcazar