Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

With regret Thorn must go

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2004, 06:27 PM
m18use
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy With regret Thorn must go

Unfortunately I must rehome my dog Thorn. He's a black staffy dog with a lovely tempermant and is extremely good with children. He was born on the 26th January 2003. I payed £400 for him and he was from a very good breeder in Wales. House trained, and is good with other animals.

I really would like to see him go to a good home, somewhere around Bristol would be nice!! I have thought about the staffy rescue, but can't find the number

I'm pissed right off about this, so please no **** taking.

Best to email phillcocking@hotmail.com or telephone 07733 362700

Phill (using Mouses log in as I've lost my passcode)

PS I have got some pictures of him somewhere, and will dig them out.
Old 21 March 2004, 06:46 PM
Shinobi
Scooby Regular

Old 21 March 2004, 06:48 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Contact the Kennel Club for an address for Staffy Rescue.
Old 21 March 2004, 07:20 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

http://www.staffords.co.uk/

http://www.staffords.co.uk/kcliaison/index.htm Kennel Club rep for Staffs

Why you re-homing him? And why does he need to go to a Rescue centre, why not just a regular re-homing centre?

Shame though. They really are excellent dogs.
Old 21 March 2004, 07:44 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Damn shame Phill - I hope you find a good home for him As a Staffy owner myself, I know how these pets become part of the family - this must have been a tough decision.

Perhaps post up a picture? Might help.

To anyone thinking of having a Staffy - they make fantastic pets, terrific temperment (don't believe all the rubbish you read in the papers), fantastic with kids and amazingly loyal.

Best of luck
Chris
Old 21 March 2004, 07:58 PM
m18use
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by rr_ww
http://www.staffords.co.uk/

http://www.staffords.co.uk/kcliaison/index.htm Kennel Club rep for Staffs

Why you re-homing him? And why does he need to go to a Rescue centre, why not just a regular re-homing centre?

Shame though. They really are excellent dogs.
Rehoming him due to a savage divorce with my Ex, and basically I'm homeless at the moment, and the dogs deserves better. I know the staffy rescue is run by people that geniuningly care about the breed, and vet new homes well.

She was helping me with caring for him, then she got a new boyfriend and it all went pair shape, after I accidently had a few words with him. Thinking of moving abroad and doing consultancy for a few years.

He'd fit in lovely with a family, and loves attention. Good with animals and children.

Toughest decision in my life so far leaving the Ex was a piece of ****.
Old 21 March 2004, 08:10 PM
m18use
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Pictures from when he was a puppy.

As you can see he's a very good looking dog, and has show potential.

Phill
Old 21 March 2004, 08:14 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Phill - he is fab. I don't think you will have too much trouble finding a good home for him, just a shame he has to go

Chris
Old 21 March 2004, 08:22 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

I really feel for you mate, it must be awful.

DJ (exStaffie owner)
Old 21 March 2004, 08:22 PM
m18use
Scooby Regular

I know whoever sees him will fall in love. Those pictures are very old, and he's always looked like a proper staffy. My last 2 staffys that have since passed away, looked like greyhounds until they were 2 years old. Thorn is a absolute stunner. Always getting people coming up to me and saying how outstanding he is, and where did I get him from.

Thanks again, Phill
Old 21 March 2004, 10:40 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Tough story Phill. Any chance your folks/sister/brother or who ever could look after Thorn for a bit while you sort yourself out? Or even kennels for a few weeks. You never know you might even want to take him abroad with you? Pal had similar problems and ended up in Spain with his German Shepherd (and host of new girlfriends ) Good luck. DL (dog lover). Not a Staffy fan but hey the eyes have it!
Old 22 March 2004, 10:32 AM
m18use
Scooby Regular

Not much chance of anyone looking after him for me for the next few weeks, from what I can see. My Ex wife was my last hope, and she not having none of it.

Went to try and discuss this with her last night, and was disappointed as her new BF was sat in my house watching my TV, with my four daughters upstairs sleeping. I wonder why she won't look after him ??? How I didn't get stroppy I really don't know.

Thanks for all the kind words, Phill

PS I'm sure things can only get better
Old 23 March 2004, 02:38 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Right I've finally managed to log in as myself.

Email me as per my profile, or phillcocking@hotmail.com

Thanks Phill
Old 23 March 2004, 02:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

thats such a harsh story mate dunno what would happen to my lil pal if me and the misses split, dont even want to think about it, weve been considering another dog to keep our bulldog company when we aint there as he does get down and loves the company of other dogs, seems to be getting depressed when he dont meet other dogs. I'll have a chat to the misses 2nite and see what she thinks, dont want to promise anything or get your hopes up cause i know shes after a bulldog
Old 23 March 2004, 03:42 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Thanks all.

I replied to the 2 emails, I've just managed to find. Digital camera is being charged as we speak, so should have some more recent pictures in a bit.

I could go on about how stroppy my Ex has been, but there's no point I know it was a lot easier to swallow getting rid of her, than it will be with Thorn

My 4 girls will be devestated when I finially tell them.

Phill
Old 23 March 2004, 06:32 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

if i could persuade the missus that we should have a dog, yours would be top of the list. unfortunately, i don't think she'll go for it.

best of luck, and i hope you find a great home for him.
Old 23 March 2004, 08:39 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Unhappy

Feel sorry for you.

Work collegue in the same situation as you, divorcing the wife and she wants nothing to do with the dogs even though the kids adore them. He is in a 1 bed flat, landlord says no pets as do most of them. He had to go back to the family home, clean the mess in the garden, walk them pay for food etc because she refuses to do so. Then of course she doesn't want him round every day - upsets the kids when he leaves. He was distraught, he Knew he had to rehome them because he knew they wasn't going to get the attention they need without him there. In the end took the dogs to the landlord and pleaded his case, she took pity and let him keep them there.

One of them is a staff, as soppy as they come

Good luck
Old 24 March 2004, 08:27 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

I've just found a few nice pictures of him and took a few yesterday, but can't access my webspace to upload them. Talk about hit you when your down!!

Could anyone host them for me please ?

Thanks Phill

PS I would have a chat with my landlord, but I'm homeless at the moment (well staying with a good friend) and the chances of finding somewhere with him are very slim I've got no chance of getting a council place, and no chance of buying anywhere else (as I already have a property that I pay a mortgage on, just can't live in)
Old 24 March 2004, 08:36 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Shame I'm not an illegal immigrant or Assylum seeker, as I'm sure I would have got a nice 2 bed house by now and wouldn't have this problem!!

Thanks Phill
Old 24 March 2004, 08:48 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you mate

I'm sure thorn will find a good home.

D
Old 24 March 2004, 08:49 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Email them to me - Ill get them up

diablo_1967@hotmail.com
Old 24 March 2004, 09:01 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m18use
Not much chance of anyone looking after him for me for the next few weeks, from what I can see. My Ex wife was my last hope, and she not having none of it.
Could be a silly suggestion, but if its just for a few weeks could you not put him in kennels while you are at work?
Old 24 March 2004, 10:01 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

I want to sort something out for him more perminant, he needs a family enviroment as this is where staffies are best! They love spending time playing with children.

I've had a few encouraging emails, and answered some questions this morning so thought I'd put them here :-

He seems very good with other dogs at the moment, but staffies are generally not that tolerant to dogs that try and dominate them. They usually have thier first fight with another dog within the first 2 years. At that point then, you will be able to tell. At the moment, he hasn't had his first fight, so it difficult to tell. I had 2 staffies previous to him, the dogs was of the same temperment as him (mellow) but the bitch was a bit of a handful when other dogs were around. Easily managed though, as you can keep them clear of other dogs. Generally the bitches are more agressive than the dogs. Dogs are more loving towards the family. Oh and never ever take them out (or even let them out in the garden) without a collar on. It's the only way you can stop them fighting with another dog...........Although staffies were originally bread for dog fighting, they aren't that bad. My local vet recommends them as a family pet, above anything else. Thorn tolerates cats / other dogs / hampsters and rabbits so far.

As with all dogs they are a little destructive while they are puppies and are teething. This is usually down to boredom through-out the day / night, when they are left alone to their own devices. From bringing Thorn home from the breeder at 6 weeks, he been using a dog cage, and thinks of this as his own space / bed. When my children used to annoy him, he'd simply go and get in his cage (out the way!!) I've left the door open on the cage many many times with shoes and bins around to see what he'd do, when I was out for the night, etc. Apart from the odd crisp packet he hasn't touched anything. With my last 2 staffies, they wrecked the settee / christmas tree / kitchen cupboards, telephone sockets and so on. This stopped by the time they were 18 months. I leave him in the back of my RB5 all the time, and apart from a couple of teeth marks on the seat belts clips, he hasn't damaged anything (touch wood)

You don't have to muzzle staffies outside by law, and I DON'T think that Thorn will present a risk. He's a very mellow dog really, just gets really pleased to see people. Staffies as a breed, do like to put humans wrists in there mouths (don't understand why and probably never will) but he almost stopped doing this now, and can easily be corrected by a simple "No" with a tap on the nose!!

He's like any 14 month old dog, into everything and always playing, chasing his own shadow and reflections, etc. He's around a friends house at the moment, and spent all day yesterday chasing spiders around the garden. Good thing about staffies are they are small dogs and although they are very strong, can't do a lot once you've picked them up.

Believe it or not, staffies don't require that much exercise. Although they think there nothing better than going out to the park, etc are quite happy to be couch potatoes, as long as they're close to there masters

Thorn is an extemely intelligent dog, and his training is going very well. He'll sit, stand, bring his ball back (and most of the time drop it) and doesn't cry when you leave him and go out. Infact my mate said the other day, he was surprised how quite he actually is. He's currently using the clicker thing for training and will with a little bit of effort, be fully trained soon.

He's fed once a day (on a night) and is reasonably good at not hanging around when us humans are eating.

Hope this helps, Phill

PS He knows the sound of a boxer engine coming up the road, and sometimes acts a little confused when mates pop around in there scoobies.
Old 24 March 2004, 10:06 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Diablo,

You have mail mate.

And thanks very much.

Phill
Old 24 March 2004, 10:30 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by babber
Diablo,

You have mail mate.

And thanks very much.

Phill
Nothing recieved yet Phill
Old 24 March 2004, 10:57 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
Nothing recieved yet Phill
That's weird.... I'll try again with my other account

Phill

PS Should be there now thanks.

Last edited by babber; 24 March 2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 24 March 2004, 01:23 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Phil,

its breaking my heart just reading this thread so god knows how crushed you must be feeling! I'm a former staffie owner myself and i think they're the greatest animals on earth.
If i was in a position whereby i could look after a dog i'd take him off you in a heartbeat!!
I've passed your details on to as many people as I can think of.

good luck!

Frenchboy.
Old 24 March 2004, 01:33 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Don't think this has been mentioned, but try getting in touch with the breeder that you got him from. When we got our Rough Collie, the breeder was quite adamant that if we couldn't keep him for any reason we should let her know rather than sending him to a rescue centre as she would take him back at any time. There has been the odd time when he has been a real pain in the bum and we have threatened him (like he understands ) but it has never come to it. Worth a try...
Old 24 March 2004, 04:24 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Default Pictures

Pics of Thorn.

Mate, he's stunning Gutted you have to give him up

Old 24 March 2004, 04:33 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

he is gorgeous. Id feel guilty taking him away from his owner too, look at them eyes

Quick Reply: With regret Thorn must go