Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork lift license

anyone got a fork lift truck license?
how does it work?
training etc..
Old 29 February 2004, 02:34 AM
Little Miss WRX

You normally do a three to a full week course. not sure on costs now because I got mine over four years ago and it was paid for by the company I worked for at the time as I needed it for the work I was doing.

I have Counter, Reach and VNA licences.
Old 29 February 2004, 02:52 AM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Mr.Scoobypreza is a fork lift instructor and NVQ assessor.
He can probablly answer all your questions but he's asleep!!!
... tut tut where is he when you need him eh!?

Little Miss Wrx has got it spot on you...... would usually have to do a three day or a week basic operators course.
Do you work in a place that has a forklift already?

I'll tell Dave about your post in the morning I'm sure he'll make more sense of it than I can!

Cath
Mrs.Scoobypreza
Old 29 February 2004, 03:11 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cath just give him a nudge and wake him. LOL
Old 29 February 2004, 11:03 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i'm hoping to start up my own warehouse business and WOULD require using a fork lift truck *sigh*
Old 29 February 2004, 12:23 PM
PeteD
Scooby Regular

I got my reach license when I was at Dixons but it was only an in-house jobbie so isnt worth owt to me know
Old 29 February 2004, 02:05 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm awake!!!
Haven't spoken to Mrs.scoobypreza but saw the post.
I can instruct on Counterbalance, Reach, Bendi (pivot steer), Pedestrian Operated hand pallet trucks and Wave order picker machines.
The length of the course you have to depends on your experience and who is cayying out the training.
The company I work for only does training for people who are employed and we go to the employers premises to carry out the training. You can go to some companies who will train you at their training centres, the only trouble with that is you are being trained on a truck you won't be using all the time.
Length of courses run by me are as follows:

1 Day course - person previously tested ( with copy of cert), this is basically a re-test day with minimal training, normally half day training followed by test.

2 Day course - this is a refresher course for previously tested, the first day will be instruction with a further half day on day 2 before testing.

3 Day course - experienced driver not tested previously, for someone who is used to driving but never been tested. 2 1/2 days training followed by testing.

4/5 Day course - for novices,never been on a truck before, the length of the course is usually 5 days but if the candidates are good this can sometimes be brought down to 4 days.

2 Day conversion course - if you are tested on say a counterbalance truck and want to drive a reach this is the course, we used to do 1 day conversions but only do them now if it is 1 to 1 tuition and 3 people would struggle to get through in 1 day ( not enough practice ).

You will find that there are a lot a training companies out there and the fees can vary quite a bit, my company normally charges £230 per day plus VAT for a maximum of 3 candidates per course.
It would be a good plan to carry out comercial training myself but the problem in North Wales is there is so much funding available through training providers that it wouldn't be worth it, plus I'm fed up of travelling around and with Mrs.scoobypreza 7 months preganant I need to be at home more. But who knows maybe in the future.
If you need any more help then just let me know, I know of some good trainers out there and might be able to put you in touch with them.
Good luck.

Dave
Old 01 March 2004, 03:48 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Starting a warehouse business,what experience have you got?
Old 01 March 2004, 08:30 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

scoobypreza, what neck of the woods you in mate as I need to take my reach truck license A.S.A.P, can you recommend anyone in the surrey / west london area??