Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile phones. Why the obsession?

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2004, 02:26 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Mobile phones. Why the obsession?

What is it with people these days. Wherever you are there seems to be someone yapping,texting or photoing away with a mobile phone.

They discuss the sprouts in the s/market, tell everyone where they are all the time etc. Youngsters just seem to be continually texting each other rather than using that age old thing called conversation.

Call me old fashioned but I just use the phone when I have to speak to someone that I cant contact in other ways. All I need is my cheap old brick to make contact.Its got no gizmo's, no cameras, no orchestra playing land of hope and glory when it rings etc.

Chip.
Old 28 February 2004, 02:36 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

the evolution of the mobile phone:

from novelty to useful to pain in the *rse.

what i can't understand is why people think that just because they have rung you, you must have time to speak to them.
Old 28 February 2004, 02:52 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Charlie,
I think we're going to be a minority on this one

Chip.
Old 28 February 2004, 03:19 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

They **** me off now to be honest

texting winds me up, and when you dont reply you get some asking 'why havent you replied' or 'are you ok/dead'

Puerly for convenience its a godsend, and work business matters wherever- but other than that yes i kinda agree with you.

ppl typn on scrn lik u txt pss me of 2-
Old 28 February 2004, 03:57 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I got my first phone before the were popular with the young uns. My childhood sweetheart had one so his mum could keep in contact with him, so I asked for christmas. I was about 14 so this was about 7 years ago

Last edited by eClaire; 28 February 2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 28 February 2004, 04:05 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

i remember having access to one of the 1st mobile phones when my dad brought it home from work. huge thing! as in a handset wired to a car battery. and the reception was crap!
Old 28 February 2004, 05:16 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

What really annoys me is when my friends ring it just once so I phone them back because I am on contract and get "free" minutes, and pursue to prank me until I phone them back asking what it is they want.

The only reason I want mine is for when I go out and decide to meet some one.
Old 28 February 2004, 05:19 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmer1
What really annoys me is when my friends ring it just once so I phone them back because I am on contract and get "free" minutes, and pursue to prank me until I phone them back asking what it is they want.

The only reason I want mine is for when I go out and decide to meet some one.
dont phone them back
Old 28 February 2004, 05:27 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

I don't i just turn the phone off so it goes to the answer machine now and they end up wasting 10p of credit just to hear "you have reached o2....."
Old 28 February 2004, 05:33 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

This was like my first phone can't remember how much it was but it was't cheap.

Motorola 8500

One longish call and the battery was flat.
Old 28 February 2004, 05:40 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by S.B.
This was like my first phone can't remember how much it was but it was't cheap.

Motorola 8500

One longish call and the battery was flat.

hehehehe i remember a few people having those phones i managed to get hold of a small ericsson which i still have and it weighs a ton ,bought it when the only network was analogue and digital was a possiblity, mine is only for work and what bugs the life out of me is people texting and i hate it when i have to return texts and everyone always seems to want to leave thier mobiles on view in the bars leaving them next to thier pints Sad *******
Old 28 February 2004, 07:02 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Don't knock 'em. All those people texting & chatting keep me in a job
Old 28 February 2004, 09:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I found my rents old analogue phone the other day...HUGE brick! And my 1st mobile - a NEC G1 or sommat, it's atonishing how far they have advanced.

Must admit it's a pain, especially when driving, I've always made a point of not answering. But everyone knows the thing is in my pocket, they ring, ring and ring, repeatedly. I just have it on voicemail now, I never use the voicemail...it just shuts the thing up

As for texts, tell me where the economic sense in having a text conversation spanning 10 or more messages (i.e a quid) When you could phone them, say what you want and be done in 1 minute!

I do admit I like to have a small phone (8310) But the thing is half dead, and looks like it been used as a football. I actually pride myself in actually keeping the same phone for over 18months (and telling the provider to sod off I don't want a crappy larger 7210 or whatever). I am guilty to having it next to my pint...but only because someone has phoned me and I can't be arsed to shove it back in my pocket
Old 29 February 2004, 03:00 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

Call me old fashioned
chip your old fashioned

do you listen to terry wogan in the mornings, when your stirring your horlicks
Old 29 February 2004, 04:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm with Chip. Only turn mine on to use it unless the woman is out of site, then only answer her or close family in case of emergency. £50 of credit lasts me almost 2 years, and I get a new phone every year as the G/F is on contract for her work and upgrades annualy, so I adopt the old one. Work got hold of the number by accident, so they have their own ringtone assigned so I know not to answer. I've sent one text in the last year, 'cos I didn't want to speak to the guy but had something to tell him.

I sat in a pub a few weeks ago and watched two females (mmm, ) sat at a table with drinks in front of them and neither spoke to the other for over 5 minutes whilst both furiously texting. How rude. When they were the new thing a mate of mine brought one to the pub and proceeded to answer/make about a dozen calls. He was uppity next time we saw him as after finishing one of his many conversations he looked around and the rest of us had fecked off to the next pub without him. And as for them ***** who get text alerts and then blurt the result out to the whole pub, when you were planning to watch the match when you got home

Yes, they are very useful and convenient, but I think people are obsessed with them to the point of not being able to live without them. Get real.
Old 29 February 2004, 05:33 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I agree, texting is nearly as sad as posting on scoobynet

I always let my mobile go to voicemail now - then I can filter out all the crap calls..
Old 29 February 2004, 05:38 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Smile

I value my privacy and an occasional period of solitude (both rare commodities nowadays) far too much to possess a cell phone. So, I'm the only one in my family without one. They all wonder how I can survive without one. Quite nicely thank you...... and remember, you're rarely far from other means of communication. They certainly have their uses, and I still see lines of cars with their drivers permanently with hand to ear .... THAT, really pees me off!! Particularly as on three occasions recently, drivers on the phone have caused me to take serious evasive action be cause of their illegal and dangerous obsession with the bloody things!!! I was a pedestrian, driver and cyclist on those three occasions. When are the authorities going to take CELL phone use whilst MOBILE driving a car seriously? I've RARELY been in any danger from 'speeding' motorists in over four decades of motoring. But observe the OVERKILL by authorities on this aspect of driving. The worst occasion was when a certainly under aged driver rounded a bend in front of me all over the road, with a Police Transit in pursuit. Know what, I had time to think that I could negate the B******* with a simple movement on my steering wheel. Probably the same ****** that damaged my wife's new MG .....

Illegal use of CELL phones KILL!!!! Stop it at once - it could be your turn next!!

MG "The Dinosaur and not yet extinct" John......

Last edited by MGJohn; 29 February 2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 29 February 2004, 07:33 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

Call me old fashioned
seems its not just you chip
Old 29 February 2004, 07:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Warwick-hunt
chip your old fashioned

do you listen to terry wogan in the mornings
Yep,

sure do

Chip.
Old 29 February 2004, 08:09 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

actually i do as well sometimes , ssshh! don't tell anyone

i don't drink horlicks though!
Old 01 March 2004, 04:54 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nor me.

Chip.
Old 01 March 2004, 05:04 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

My mobile is there for emergencies. I actively dislike talking on the phone - any phone - so will avoid it at all costs.

It's handy to have "just in case" as I do an awful lot of driving on my own, so it's there to call home and let my other half know that I'll be late and stop him worrying or in case of a car problem that I can't fix by the roadside.

Like others have said, I will very rarely answer it if I don't know the number calling.
Old 01 March 2004, 05:14 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Texting has got me into so much trouble over the years Having stupid conversations with people that you'd never have face to face or arguements that spiral out of control

Trouble is, if i didn't text my friends or they didn't text me i doubt we'd ever speak
Old 01 March 2004, 05:21 PM
ChrisB

Texting has it's place. If I want to ask or confirm meeting a mate to go the gym or the pub during the day, I'll drop him a text. That way if he's out on site with a customer, he can reply at leisure without me disturbing him.