Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

*Insurance Company Problem - Advise Please*

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2004, 08:15 PM
ronny555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy *Insurance Company Problem - Advise Please*

Can anyone offer advice on the following problem.

My sisters car was involved in a smash a few weeks ago, where someone went into the back of her Yaris at a roundabout.

My sister went through her company (Direct Line) to make a claim. They advised her that he had admitted full liability through his insurance company (Hill House Hammond)

When the car was taken to Toyota they said that the car could be a write off. Direct Line sent their engineer to inspect the car and said that the car could be repaired, at a cost of £3350. I told my sister to insist on the car being written off, as the claim was not her fault and that she would lose future value in the car if it was repaired. The car is worth around £6800 so the repair to value is around 50%. Direct Line will only write the car off at 60%.

My sister rang Direct Line and told them she would not accept a repair to the car (straight away) and that she had arranged for the HHH engineer to inspect the car. HHH offered to write the car off at £6800, my sister accepted but they rang back withdrawing the offer as the car had been stripped down and the repairs had been started by Direct Line. They wanted the car to sell for salvage/repair to recoup their costs.

The garage is blaming Direct Line, Direct Line is blaming the garage and my sister is stuck in the middle. After several calls to Direct Line trying to explain their mistake we have hit a dead end.
HHH has tried to help by offering £5000 without the car for salvage, but this leaves my sister with a stripped car on a jig!

Can anyone point us in the right direction - Solictors letter?

Already tried the insurance ombusiman - can take upto 8 weeks to deal with???

Cheers
Aaron