Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I'm Going To Be a Best Man !!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 07:05 AM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I'm Going To Be a Best Man !!!

Has anyone done this before ? I think I will need some help on speeches, do's/don'ts etc

Any helpful advice/websites will be greatly appreciated

Matt
Old 23 February 2004, 09:04 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Do a google search on best man's speaches...

There's loads
Old 23 February 2004, 09:51 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've organised 6 stag dos, but I've only been a best man twice (back up best man twice!! )

Stag Do

Find elements that he enjoys, rather than you do!!!

I've done one in Amsterdam, but it is expensive and you will probably lose half of his friends as they won't have the money, time, holiday or their partners won't allow them to go!

I've organised one locally, which meant a lot of phone calls to check places will allow a large group of blokes into bars, pubs, etc.

I've organised one in Brighton, which gave us powerboating (again expensive) but as it was orgnised through a company, they could price up the weekend with or without various elements.

Getting measured up

Keep on top of this. This needs to be done about 6 months in advance, depending on if he wants something special or not. The later you leave it, the less likely they are to have your sizes, especailly if any of the male wedding party are short, fat, tall, etc!

Not really your responsibility, but good to be seen supporting the groom

The wedding

Keep the groom calm!

Get him there in ample time!

REMEMBER the ring!!!

Remember to have tissues as some people will cry and you look like a thoughtful best man!!!

Speech

Jot down all the stories about the groom NOW, as you will forget the funny ones. When you contact his friends to organise the stag do, ask them for funny stories!

Take your time to organise them! I know some of the them will be fantastic, but they won't be useable! Remember that normally both his parents and her parents will be there, and you don't want to be seen as the **** that ruined their wedding with stupid stories!

You don't have to have the audience rolling with laughter all the way through! They will be waiting for your speech!

You normally start the speech by thanking the groom on behalf of the bridesmaids, and say how lovely they look, and how lovely the bride looks!

I always try to link my speeches, so one topic rolls into the next.

Try to include a funny story about them that their parents don't know!

If you include actions and move about, it keeps the audience on you.

Try to include how they met, if it is funny!

Try to include what a wonderful chap the groom is, and how lucky the bride is!

The only thing I can say, is practise and practise a lot, epsecially if you are not use to public speaking! I wrote mine down and said it out loud several times and drummed it into myself!

I then make notes, which prompt me which story and what order they are in!

Practise projecting your voice especially if you are in a marquee! Both of mine were and it's tough to get your voice to travel in that situation.

I try to keep the speech to about 10 minutes, which normally works out to about five stories, the thanking at the beginning and the toast at the end.

REMBEMER it doesn't matter if you 'forget' any element of the story or even forget to tell a story, the ONLY PERSON who knows you've forgetten it is YOU!!!

When I was a best man the first time, I was nervous, I could hardly eat and drank very little! Afterwards was the biggest relief, but I had the most acidic stomach! Settlers Tums are needed whenever I do public speaking!

This website may help with elements of what the best man duties are. Do a quick google search and you should find a few websites!

I bought 'The Best Best Man' book and it was a good book to help you through the whole process, and it includes ideas for speeches and quotes you may want to use!

Good luck!
Old 23 February 2004, 09:53 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

During and after

People will give the happy couple cards and presents, so find a place to stash them all. Let them thank the guests, then you put them in a safe place.

You will probably be returning the suits, so remember to collect them all!

And most importantly, try to have a good time!
Old 23 February 2004, 11:38 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter how much you insult the groom during the speech for laffs, finish by saying what a nice guy he is. I almost forgot...
Old 23 February 2004, 12:07 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

...and don't forget you get first dibs on the bridesmaids !!!

T
Old 23 February 2004, 12:11 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Have a look on this site, I found it very useful.

www.hitched.co.uk

Small piece of advise don't have too many beers before your speach, just a few to "loosen" up.

Cheers,

Leigh

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 23 February 2004, 12:26 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Never done it but as mny best man was a complete useless t0sser I dis most of the arrangements anyway. Even had to organise my own stag do.

In order to get over the lack of money\wife won't let me go, we decided to have a joint stag\hen do. We all drove over to Cork for a long Bank Holiday(6 cars full). All the girl's were happy, they got a weekend away with their hubby\bf, got to shop, visit the sites, while the boys went out and got wrecked. Bonus was at the end of the night you had someone to take your trousers off and make sure you didn't throw up in your sleep

Cost us all about £70 each including Ferry and Hotel for Fri-Sun. Result!

The best man included the old "Key" joke which went down a treat. I have it on video but I don't watch it as my bit was cringe worthy, completely wrecked and forgot the flowers for the Mum's lol
Old 23 February 2004, 02:01 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I was best man at my brothers wedding 2 weeks ago. I used hitched.co.uk for some ideas for the speech, basically used some other speeches for a humerous start line, then did a few stories from birth thru to how they met, finished off with, seriously he's a good bloke then the toast.

As others have said, practise. I read mine many times, then just did notes bundled into sections, and numbered, so say for a story about my bro at school the notes would read

1. love of sport
2. funny story
3. what happenned.

thus I could leave the notes on the table, but glance down quickly if I needed to remember something.

regards,

greg
Old 23 February 2004, 06:41 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

I really appreciate all the replies - some VERY useful information in there