Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best way to stop a 'nasty' planning application?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2004, 03:35 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to stop a 'nasty' planning application?

just found out that something very 'undesirable' is going to be built in our village. No-one seems to recall seeing any public notices posted in the local papers but I assume they were. But we now only have one week to oppose the application.

There are small notices posted up on a couple of gates by the land in question and I notice that these state that they must be displayed for a minimum of 21 days prior to application deadline.

I'm wondering what the most effective way is of stopping this thing going ahead. All the villagers I have spoken to are horrified like me and keen to act.

I was thinking of doing a mail-drop to all villagers, giving them a pre-written letter that I would print out in bulk, so all they have to do is sign and post it.

Also, I wondered what would happen if the notices on the gates mysteriously vanished so that 'technically' they are not visible for the full 21 days.

Or any other ideas anyone has would be gratefully received, sorry I can't go into too much detail here. we just want to stand the best chance of stopping the application being approved before next Friday.
Old 20 February 2004, 04:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If it is a village then you probably have a parish council. Track some of them down and find out what is happening and if they have given their approval or not. It will go to them first and then on to the Local Council for the final decision. What the Parish Council have to say very often has little bearing on what the local council do, but worth starting there.

Next does the village have a village design statement? If so get doen to the planning office and compare the plans to the design statement and see if you have any grounds to get it rejected on that basis.

Also from what you are saying, the proposal is being decided on next Friday (I assume at council rather than PCC level), there is not certaintly that they will pass it. Suggest you also start getting people writing to the council to express their concerns and get people down to the actual meeting when they are going to discuss it to verbalise your concerns, you can bet the people planning to build will have
Old 20 February 2004, 05:00 PM
jk100
Scooby Regular

The small notice of planning application displayed in the village is all that is legally required. A notice of the application will also have been published in the local paper.

My advice:

First, speak to the case officer in the planning department of your local authority, and establish whether they intend to recommend or refuse the application. (An application is decided by councillors, who are advised by their planning officers). If they intend to approve it, ask why. Ask how it is in accordance with the development plan for the area, if they are minded to recommend approval.

Second, speak to your local councillor, and get them to lobby the councillors who sit on the planning committee. There are numerous times when councillors decline an application which has been recommended for approval. However, if there is a strong case for the proposed development (i.e. it accords with national planning policy) and it is refused then the applicant is likely to appeal the decison. A planning appeal is dealt with by the Secretary of State and not the local authority, so it is then out of their hands.

Hope this helps.
Old 20 February 2004, 05:32 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of doing a mail-drop to all villagers, giving them a pre-written letter that I would print out in bulk, so all they have to do is sign and post it
Whether there is 0,1 or 100,000 objections won't make any difference to the recommendation of the planning officer unless you are stating material grounds of objection having 10 million people all state the same material ground also wont add any weight Talk to the planning officer and ask if the recommendation is likely to be for approval or refusal and why. Ask to see copies of the relevant planning policies and then if need be talk to the Local Councillor and see if he'll pull the application before the committee.

Also, think carefully about why you are objecting. Is it REALLY that 'wrong' or are you suffering from NIMBY ism??
Old 20 February 2004, 08:34 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

where are you? there's different systems in England and Scotland.
Old 20 February 2004, 08:44 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

where ever you are, a sh*tload of irrelevant objections shouldn't change the outcome. however, if you get local councillors and better still, the local MP behind you, things *can* happen....
Old 20 February 2004, 08:50 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing we did was put all our objections down in a clearly worded and argued letter. Then, the night before the PC was due to visit the site en masse, I delivered A4 envelopes to all committee envelopes at their home addresses.

We did have something to object about & on several grounds. Reasonableness and neighbourliness being a couple of them. A couple of members of the PC commented on having received the letters (favourably) so it was worthwhile & we won too which helped
Old 20 February 2004, 08:55 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

will the development increase traffic a lot? the highways department can often screw up anything if the local roads won't take it - you could argue that with it being a village, the increased traffic will have a detrimental effect on safety - eg lots of kids playing, if you see what I mean...
Old 20 February 2004, 08:57 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

what is it anyway - an al qaeda training facility or something?

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 20 February 2004 at 09:11 PM.
Old 20 February 2004, 09:04 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

lol @ Charlie!!
Old 20 February 2004, 09:12 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

neighbourliness
This is not a material planning consideration
Old 20 February 2004, 11:28 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

er - we was told it was by our local (Cambs) council

But tbh, dgaf 'cos we won
Old 21 February 2004, 12:00 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

blib - a decent bung to the planning officer works a treat - SB will deny it as usual.

Neighbourliness counts in NI. Our 'neighbour' had to take his extension back 6 ft from the border of our gardens when I complained. He would have had 5 windows looking into our bedroom otherwise - His plans are a **** up anyway - He is turning a 3 bed detached bungalow into a 7 bed and 5 reception house - biggest room will be 12ft by 9 ft
Old 21 February 2004, 09:54 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Anything goes in NI

I really want to get offered a bung to spice things up a little. I turned up at some guys house the other day (in the scooby - so advertising my car enthusiasm) and he didn't even offer to take me for a spin in his 911