Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Discussion at work

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2004, 12:20 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Discussion at work

Do you think that a nail file represents a serious terrorist threat on an Easy Jet flight?

Or for that matter a disposable razor?

Your thoughts, I have yet to be convinced.
Old 18 February 2004, 12:26 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Of course !!! Have you not seen the A-Team ?
Old 18 February 2004, 12:34 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

When I checked in on my way home from Brum Airport a couple of weeks ago I had to put my sodding nail file in my suitcase

Not exactly a weapon of mass destruction, but I can see their point. It could take someones eye out! But then I could do it with my nails if I really wanted to anyway

Now I just carry a little emery board around in my bag
Old 18 February 2004, 12:47 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

you would have thought not but hey rather safe than sorry, that said there are ways to make everyday items into weapons, if you know how

Gary
Old 18 February 2004, 12:49 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

The whole 'potentially offensive weapons on a flight' thing I think is just the governments way of keeping the general population scared of terrorists so civil liberties can be quietly whittled away in the interests of defending the public from enemies created by mistakes in foreign policy.

I dare say it would be possible to hi-jack a plane armed only with a minature bottle of Drambuie if one were determined enough
Old 18 February 2004, 12:49 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Agree with GaryK 100%

Remeber being subjected to rather an interesting nin-jutsu (sp) lesson from a mate who did this .. and I was not convinced that a cassette case could really be a weppon until he showed me the various ways it could be used to strike and then he capped it off by effectively closing the case around my nose and leading me around the room with me screaming from the pain

It's amazing as anything is a weapon ... even cotton wool

Last edited by SiPie; 18 February 2004 at 12:52 PM.
Old 18 February 2004, 12:53 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

'Hand over the plane! I've got my cotton wool and I'm not afraid to use it'

Suppose you could choke someone with it.
Old 18 February 2004, 12:55 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

This may explain why BA cabin staff are all pig ugly - it's to stop blokes getting a bonk-on and carrying a baton like weapon in their pants
Old 18 February 2004, 12:58 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ Dracoro

Wouldn't exactly be my weapon of choice for hijacking a plane either.... but then I was only making my point
Old 18 February 2004, 12:59 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I honestly don't believe that a terrorist will ever be able to take over a plane with a knife again. The reason they got away with it before was because the crews were trained to comply because it was almost unheard of that the hijackers were TRYING to die.

The rule books have now been re-written and I think its fair to say that whatever weapon the hijacker has people are now aware that it is preferable to risk everything to stop him rather than the alternative.

The next person to pull a stanley knife in a plane will most likely get bundled to the floor by the passengers and crew before they have time to shout "infidel"!
Old 18 February 2004, 01:14 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Why aren't lighters banned from the passenger compartment?
Old 18 February 2004, 01:22 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

My brother had a miniture pair of fold up pliers confiscated form his keyring. I had to stop myself from blurting out "park this aircraft in that building, or I'll give you a nasty nip!" as the security guard was suitably po-faced and didn't look like he would get the joke!
Old 18 February 2004, 01:29 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Airlines allow passengers to bring on duty free made from glass bottles - quickly smashing one of these would produce a fairly serious weapon????
Old 18 February 2004, 01:50 PM
Vette_76
Scooby Regular

Location: On Mars...in a cave....with my eyes shut....and my fingers in my ears!!
Unhappy

The empty champagne and wine bottles that were left lying around in business class the last time I flew would have done more damage than a poxy nail file!!
Old 18 February 2004, 01:54 PM
SteveLegacyToo
Scooby Regular

I always wondered if you could get away with strapping a Ceramic kitchen knife to your back and get that on board....
Old 18 February 2004, 01:56 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I always wondered if you could get away with strapping a Ceramic kitchen knife to your back and get that on board....
****.... think you need to get out more Steve
Old 18 February 2004, 03:24 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

I got a wash bag from BA on my last (club class) flight to New York (last year). It contained a disposable razor. At the same time, the disposable razor was not allowed in hand luggage.

"Sharp objects are prohibited in hand luggage" - "Don't worry about hijackings, we'll provide everything you need!".
Old 18 February 2004, 03:47 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Why aren't lighters banned from the passenger compartment?
They were the last time I flew. And gas (rather than zippo style) lighters were not allowed on the plane at all as one had blown up in the hold earlier in the week causing extensive damage.
Old 18 February 2004, 03:54 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Heres an open question to the floor:-

If a passenger jumped up and tried to take over the plane with a knife, knowing what you know now post 9/11 what would you do:-

a) Try and disarm and restrain the passenger
b) Sit in your seat and hope he does't try and land the plane on a building
Old 18 February 2004, 03:54 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

The systems not perfect, not by a long chalk, but its there for your/my benefit.
Airlines are not, on the whole, profitable business's. A profitable airline is the exception, not the norm. Sabena, gone, SwissAir, gone, United, filed for Chapter 11 etc etc. SouthWest in the US, have had 27 consecutive years of being in the black. Conversely BA, had its best ever year in 1995. The last 3 years wiped out that profit, and also another few £100 million extra!!
The reason you can buy glass duty free on planes is because its a money spinner for the airline. Airlines need all the revenue that can grab. RyanAir? 13% of its profit last year, came from what? Boooze? Sandwiches? Nope. Advertising on its website. 2 years ago, the London Eye ( owned by BA ) made more money that the airline did!
I agree, glass bottles on planes maybe wrong, but no glass bottles, you may not have any planes!

Why does anyone need to carry anything onto a plane? Mothers with young children, ok a couple of soft play toys and some baby food. The rest of us, nothing, except for a paper/magazine. Most long haul flights have TV's with God knows how many channels now. Watch 'em, or look out the window.
Short haul, read the mag/paper, or look out the window.

A serious tip, from someone that knows.
Please dont make jokes while going throught airport security.

Now, settle back, relax, and enjoy your flight.

Last edited by FlightMan; 18 February 2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 18 February 2004, 04:02 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

if airlines are not profitable - why are they so popular? why don't the airline owners jack it in a set up internet advertising agencies instead? personally, i think the govt. should levy a proper tax on aviation fuel, and force up ticket prices 100% or so. all the chavs can go on holiday to blackpool instead of marbella, and i'll carry on going to provence, either drive or by eurostar as i currently do.
Old 18 February 2004, 04:03 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Its stupid that you have to hand over a nail file but not a make-up mirror - nothing to stop you breaking that to slash someone with if you're that way inclined!!!
Old 18 February 2004, 04:13 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Default Regarding lighters...

There's no mention of lighters being banned on BA's web guidelines (BA just for an example)...

What are forbidden items in hand baggage on BA flights?

The following items are strictly forbidden to be carried on board the cabin of any BA aircraft:
Toy or replica guns, household cutlery, catapults, steel nail files, knives with any length blade, razor blades (non-safety), paper knives, darts, sporting bats/clubs, knitting needles, billiard/snooker/pool cues, darts, catapults, scissors of any size, tradesmen's tools, corkscrews with blades attached, hypodermic syringes (except with written evidence of medical need), any other article which the airport authority considers might be used, or could be adapted, for causing injury or incapacitation of a person

What items should not be put into hold baggage ?

The following restricted articles, amongst others may be carried in your checked baggage (i.e. baggage checked in at the check-in desk) but only with special precautions:
Firearms, sporting guns, wet cell batteries, butane hair stylers (the safety cover must be securely fitted over the heating element and the device must NOT be used on board the aircraft at any time; refill gas cylinders are not permitted in either hand or checked baggage), small oxygen and/or carbon dioxide cylinders, and dry ice (max. 2kh per passenger).

The carriage of electrical equipment such as hairdryers, shavers etc. can be in cabin or checked baggage but all batteries must be removed.

There are certain items - Dangerous Goods - that are too dangerous to carry on passenger aircraft. These items must NEVER be part of your baggage:
Compressed gases, corrosive acids, explosives, flammable liquids, radio-active material, oxidising agents, poisons, other items (e.g. magnetised material). If you are unsure about what you can carry on an aircraft please contact your local British Airways office before you travel.

Last edited by Fatman; 18 February 2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 18 February 2004, 04:27 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

There are certain items - Dangerous Goods - that are too dangerous to carry on passenger aircraft. These items must NEVER be part of your baggage:
Compressed gases, ..., flammable liquids
That covers lighters if they want it to
Old 18 February 2004, 04:30 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

What about matches?
Old 18 February 2004, 04:32 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

explosives, ... oxidising agents...
Could cover it, but note the nice little catch all at the end:

...other items (e.g. magnetised material)

Last edited by OllyK; 18 February 2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 18 February 2004, 04:33 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fatman
What about matches?

Your face and my ****!

sorry, couldn't resist!
Old 18 February 2004, 04:56 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

other magnetised material

Olly - there goes your credit cards then
Old 18 February 2004, 04:58 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I've carried blow pipes with large sharp metal tipped darts on lots of flights as well as ornamental daggers and a collection of novelty lighters some of which included switchblades all in my hand luggage.
Old 18 February 2004, 04:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

At the end of they day if they want to stop something going on, they are reserving the right to do so

Quick Reply: Discussion at work