Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Developing camera films

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2004, 06:20 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Developing camera films

I need to get some (about 6) 35mm films developed.

As they are all about 2 years old I am not expecting to get any pictures out of them as they have probally got knackered over time so I don't really want to pay a fortune as they are probally junk.

Any ideas?
Old 06 February 2004, 06:45 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

There's a reasonable chance that they may develop ok. ISTR the thing that affects film most is higher temperatures and temperature swings.

If you're not expecting anything from them, just take them to be developed anyway.

I'd suggest perhaps enquiries a decent camera shop (even if you don't have them developed there), they may be able to give you some better thoughts on it. Some films might last longer than others.

John.
Old 06 February 2004, 07:42 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You'll certainly get pictures out of them. What you won't get is accurate colours - they'll likely have developed a strong colour cast, although even this might just get automatically fixed by your processing lab. Most High St labs develop the negs then scan them, perform all sorts of horrible digital auto-correction on them, then print them out. This process makes it nearly impossible to get a really decent photo, but it does cover up a multitude of sins too.

At the end of the day it depends how serious you are about them. If you're not too bothered, take them into a High St lab and see what comes back. If you are bothered about getting the best from them, send them to a pro lab like Peak Imaging and get their professional service - under this service every print is individually assessed by hand and tweaked until it's right (or, if you prefer, left completely unmolested).