Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CREDIT CARD CLONING

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2004, 07:53 AM
simon99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CREDIT CARD CLONING

HAVE HAD 2 CREDIT CARDS COLNED IN THE LAST MONTH,BOTH FROM DIFFERENT COMPANIES,BOTH AFTER USING SHELL PETROL STATIONS IN HEMEL AND APSLEY.CAN'NT PROVE THIS OF COURSE BUT AS THAT IS THE ONLY PLACE THE 2 CARDS HAVE BEEN USED IN THE SAME SORT OF PLACE IN SUCH A SHORT TIME IT SEEMS THE ONLY LINK.AND BOTH COMPANIES HAVE STATED THAT MOST CLONING HAPPENES FROM PETROL STATIONS.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM IN THE PAST IF SO WHO'S A**E DID YOU KICK.

SHELL MIGHT VERY WELL BE GETTING A VERY PI**ED OFF CALLER LATER.
Old 04 February 2004, 07:58 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Have you cancelled the cards?
Old 04 February 2004, 08:13 AM
simon99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Have you cancelled the cards?
BOTH COMPANIES RANG AND DID IT STRAIGHT AWAY AS SOMEONR HAD TRIED TO SPEND £238 IN A PETROL STATION,HOW BIG WAS HIS BL**DY TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 February 2004, 08:43 AM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Angry

I had one of mine cloned when I hadn't used it for 5 months just sat in my wallet, first I knew was when my bank phoned me and asked why I had suddenly spent thousands on the internet in the middle of the night. Luckily I am not liable for anything and they will just send me a new card. Apparently they just put in random numbers on an internet website that allows multiple tries (most lock you out after 3-4 dodgy numbers are put in). In my case it was £3 to a charity I had never heard of in Brazil once that went through they were off.
Old 04 February 2004, 12:00 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Credit card fraud is now a major problem. It takes many forms.
The easiest way is to find someones old receipt or statement and use it over the internet.
Another way, is to use what is called a Lebanese Loop. Basically, the fraudsters put a piece of plastic inside a cash machine. You think your card has been swallowed, but they retrieve it after you have left.
Cloning is all together different. This requires a card reader so usually is some unscrupulous retailer who stores all the details of your card when you make a purchase. They will then make a copy of your card. They will then test the card out, making a small payment which wouldn't raise any suspicions. If this is accepted, they will make several purchases in short succession, before binning the card. It sounds terribly racist, but everyone I have caught so far has been Bangladeshi living in London.
A lot of the problem lies with shop staff, who don't check signatures or verify details of the purchaser.
Old 04 February 2004, 12:06 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Dont ever let any one take your card away, keep a close eye on it. A friend of mine works for the fraud squad and he agrees Petrol stations are the worse,,,,
STEVE...............
Old 04 February 2004, 12:10 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Restuarants too - how many times has the waiter walked off with your card to return 5 minutes later with a slip for you to sign!
Old 04 February 2004, 12:10 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure whether you should blame the petrol stations for the actual cloning, however it is accepted that they are ususally the first place the scum will try and use a cloned or stolen card because they can run it through the credit card machine on the pump to see if it has been cancelled or not. If it works then they quickly go on a spending spree!