Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Time for an 'Insurance Disc'

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2004, 10:05 AM
Duane Dibley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

With car insurance going up again to subsidise the scum who don't bother to insure their vehicles (there's no real deterrent, as the fines are puny), isn't it about time that proof of current insurance should be shown in the same way as car tax. An insurance disc should become compulsory IMO, it works well in Eire - noticed a lot of them when I was working over there.

It's illegal to drive on the highway without insurance so why aren't there more stringent rules?

Saturday morning rant over!
Old 31 January 2004, 12:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

This is one of my pet hates too.

I can't get over the fact that if you're stopped for no insurance, it's an offence and you get done, but if you are in an accident, and the other guy turns out to have no insurance, the cops aren't interested:

Alcazar
Old 31 January 2004, 01:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Thumbs up

I agree, it needs to be done.

Then traffic wardens could perhaps be used to work in the public interest by reporting/clamping/seizing cars without valid insurance.

The NID (national insurance database) is only any good if a car is being checked by the police, or a DVLA camera. And how many of them do you see? Not as many as GATSO's is there?

Perhaps the government is scared of using insurance cameras incase everyone acuses them of revenue raising? But IMO it's a more rightly cause and I'd have no problem with revenue raised by them, afterall the majority of people driving without insurance fully know what they are doing, they take the risk, they should pay.
Old 31 January 2004, 01:09 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I notice that the google links are rubbing your nose in it
Old 31 January 2004, 01:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

LOVE the Google ad for "Quote me Happy".[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
IMHO, as many people as possible should ring those w@nkers, and INSIST on being given a quote when you tell them your car colour, or what type of vehicle it is, just like on the ads[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

And they were the ones who wanted £2600 to insure my lad for a 1.1 Fiesta worth £350..........everyone else was nearer £1500.
Bunch of *****[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Alcazar
Old 31 January 2004, 02:09 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just add 3rd party cover to the tax disc.

obviously tax is more expensive, and it would NEED to be accompanied by a change in car insurance in general (no doubt the ins companies would try to maintain same price).

Seeing as car make and model is on tax details, these could surely be used for risk assesment.

paul
Old 31 January 2004, 02:27 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

But supposedly you can't get a tax disc without insurance? DL
Old 31 January 2004, 02:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Thumbs down

yep, but the expiry date could be the day after..and they'd still let you tax it the day before
Old 31 January 2004, 02:48 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

But wouldn't the same argument apply with an insurance disc? i.e. you pay your premium, get the disc and then cancel the premium for a refund but forget to return the disc. But I suppose the insurance company could refuse a refund without return of the disc. Bit trickier for peeps paying for insurance on a monthly basis though unless they are sent a fresh disc every month?

[Edited by David Lock - 1/31/2004 2:53:18 PM]
Old 31 January 2004, 08:15 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

The insurance disc scheme works very well in Jersey. All cars have an insurance disc in the windscreen, its called a WID, Windscreen Insurance Disc. The only stupid thing is that the "disc" is square! Some civil servant with a sense of humour must have thought up that bit. Makes it fun to get holders for motorbikes as very few square disc holders available

Companies are obviously very reluctant to issue a cancellation of policy without the return of the disc. Need to sign away all sorts of legal docs that you have lost it and promise to return it if you ever find it down the back of the sofa etc. Local courts are VERY strict on not displaying disc even if you still have valid insurance. One person was fined after their toddler removed it from the holder even though the insurance was still valid.

Personally I think it is an excellent idea and very easy to police. It needs to be strongly enforced by all the police freed up by the speed (sorry "safety") cameras.
Old 31 January 2004, 08:29 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

lets go the whole hog and have all 3 in the windscreen,

1.Tax disc
2.Insurance disc
3.MOT disc.

Old 31 January 2004, 08:44 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Seen as the DVLA, insurance and PNC databases are now linked - there is no need for any form of "sticker" in the windscreen. Fines are starting to be automated (tax).

If you cancel insurance this should also be picked up ideally.

Why not add basic 3rd party insurance to fuel cost(as often suggested)

Old 31 January 2004, 09:12 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

All of us who own scoobys already pay an over inflated insurance premium anyway, so anything that helps with the proof of having insurance is welcomed, a disc would be a perfect answer, and the same as they can check you road fund licence,with road side cameras, they could also check you insurance disc.

Why not have the tax and insurance disc combined, so it makes it harder the make a fake disc?

Can't understand why we should ALL pay for these uninsured drivers, why not make it a serious offence and claw back the money that way?
Old 31 January 2004, 10:20 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Any new scheme should be simple, cheap to impmement and not rely too much on technology. (eg GPS & major tracking infrastructure)

Remember that anyone who claims to have designed a "foolproof system" has just made their first mistake.

Sorry, a bit off topic there, but it does justify a simple increase in fuel cost to pay a ring fenced 3rd party insurance scheme. On a 1st look, this seems a sensible idea - anything with fuel in is at least minimally insured.

However, it does not address issue of the ages of drivers - a 17 year old could get straight into a Scoob or other fast car and be insured

The same logic can be applied (more sucessfully) to tax discs.
Old 01 February 2004, 12:16 AM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

I had one month left to get full no claims and then I could protect them when some TW*T in a XR3i Convertable came through a set of red lights and totaled my car. I phoned the police and they asked if anyone was injured, foolishly I said no so they said we just need to sort it out between ourselves.We swapped addresses etc. After being taken back home on the back of a RAC transporter, I phoned the guy up and guess what a false name and address. I then phoned the police who said the car was previuosly writen off so could not have been in the accident.
I lost all my no claims and my total respect for the police force who did not even want descriptions of the poeple in the car.
Not sure about insurance disks as they will probably pinch them as well.

[Edited by Andy S. - 2/1/2004 12:19:15 AM]
Old 01 February 2004, 08:37 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

what bout if you got a traders policy then? ya cant be made to carry a silly round disc everywere with ya to put in all the different cars ya drive
Old 01 February 2004, 11:49 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

im all up for that, its not so much the problem of insurance going up, although that is a pisser, its more the fact that theres far to many uninsured sheds on the road with people who couldnt give a **** if they crash or not
Old 01 February 2004, 12:16 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

what bout if you got a traders policy then? ya cant be made to carry a silly round disc everywere with ya to put in all the different cars ya drive

Urm, why not? it's not exactly a huge hardship.

Definately 100% in favour of an insurance disk,.