Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

George Best - Charged with Drink-Driving.

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2004, 12:30 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't/doesn't want to stop drinking I guess. His reputation as a wife beater and alcoholic overshadows his football career more and more. A pity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3443821.stm
Old 30 January 2004, 12:53 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Agree that it's a real shame..I met him in Edinburgh years ago and he was a total gent

Maybe if he'd been a nobody he may of stood a chance of overcoming his alcholism, but I'm sure being constantly in the public eye must heap bags of extra pressure on him

Shame, but still no excuse for the drink-driving bit, no matter who he is
Old 30 January 2004, 01:23 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

LOL @ the breath tester ad on google below
Old 30 January 2004, 01:26 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Glad to see hes putting the new liver to good use.......

What a fool!
Old 30 January 2004, 01:27 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

tosser
Old 30 January 2004, 01:41 PM
icebreaker
Scooby Regular

It's not a case of being 'a fool' or a 'tosser'. The guy's ill. Sadly he can't stop drinking. He's had a liver transplant not a personality one.

This is no different to having any other sort of illness. He can't stop drinking and unfortunately it'll probably kill him.
Old 30 January 2004, 01:55 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why the **** doesn't he go to rehab then?

he is hardly ****ing skint is he!

surely the need for a liver transplant brought the fact home? makes him a tosser in my eyes.

go hug a tree.

Old 30 January 2004, 02:05 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Angry

"This is no different to having any other sort of illness. "

B*ll*cks. It's called will-power. If he had the will to stop drinking alcohol he could stop.

I'm fed up with people's sympathy towards him. He's a prat. He's been given a second chance at life and yet he's still not got himself sorted. They ought to jail him - force him on to the wagon then.
Old 30 January 2004, 02:05 PM
Evil6
Scooby Regular

What waste of a talent and more importantly a liver which could have gone someone who maybe would not have wasted such a second chance

Shame on him
Old 30 January 2004, 02:27 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Would he still not be a to$$er if he ran down and killed your mum/dad/sister/brother etc. while driving drunk?

Just because he has a Self Inflicted illness, doesn't excuse him from behaving this way.
Old 30 January 2004, 02:29 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

I thought he's had three chances at life. Isn't he on his second donor liver (third liver) now?

W4nker. He needs sending down. He won't get so much alcohol inside.

And I don't give a toss what kind of football player he was. The rules are for everyone. What sort of image does it send out to impressonable kids?
Old 30 January 2004, 03:10 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

"Football legend" they called him on the news, i only know of him as a drunken old git. Good enough for him! Hope Razor gives his wife one on that i`m a celebrity rubbish
Old 30 January 2004, 03:21 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with most and feel that he has had more than ample chances and more than most get with the support he gets etc , so in my eyes he's a selfish tosser.............
Old 30 January 2004, 03:25 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
go hug a tree.
PMSL

The guy is a waste of space I thought the new liver might have made him see sense
Old 30 January 2004, 04:08 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

2 years in jail and remove the liver before he damages it further. Should sort him out. I'm sure there's plenty people who would be grateful for a new liver (and life).

Before people start with all the "it's an illness", I have to say I am in total agreement. But the guy doesn't want help, he is self destructive. He isn't going to change at his age, even his wife couldn't help him (and she took a severe beating just trying to help).

Oh and I suppose he couldn't afford a taxi. Shame he didn't wrap himself around a tree before the police stopped him.

Rant over
Old 30 January 2004, 04:08 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Liver transplant Paul, they can't do brain transplants yet.
Old 30 January 2004, 06:14 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

We use the word ill a bit loosely I feel....The folk that are ill are the ones waiting on organs with life treating disease’s, who could well die...you know dead...gone forever and ever, and can’t do a damn thing to help themselves out of that situation, through no fault of their own.

I just feel sorry for the family of the organ donor...what a bloody waste, and spare a thought for all the folk on the waiting list that would never have so much as have a glass of wine once they got their new liver.

Sorry people, but guys like him don’t deserve any more chances when you have seen people die before they get the chance to have a transplant; like so many others and I will have had.

The man is a thief of good organs...and oxygen. Simple as that.

Jools
Old 30 January 2004, 06:51 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

What annoys me about the to$$er is that the rate of organ donations has dramitcally dropped since this ***** got his new liver and abused a second chance of a new life, makes me sick to think off all those people who have liver disease that never drank heavily that may not get a transplant now.
Old 30 January 2004, 07:33 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Going from most of your opinions stated on this thread I take that if any of you that eat proceesed fast food,excess salt and fat, smoke or drink will refuse NHS treatment in the future if needed in favour of some clean living person.

I somehow doubt it.

Chip
Old 30 January 2004, 07:52 PM
icebreaker
Scooby Regular

I'm not about to condone Best's behaviour, I'm simply saying that he's an addict whose drug is alcohol.

Surely only the most red-necked, ardent Sun-reader type would fail to see that the bloke's got severe problems. The fact that he's been repeatedly warned that he'll kill himself if he continues to drink and yet he continues to do so, ought to be an indication of his unstable mental state.

Old 30 January 2004, 08:08 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Don't think anybody's taking issue with the fact that he's an addict. However, he has a choice of either facing up to that addiction and doing something about it, or not.

You'd think after being told he was a few weeks away from death before the transplant, he would have sorted his sh*t out. I can't help but view this as the waste of an organ that could have enabled someone who wasn't a hopeless case to lead a full and active life.
Old 30 January 2004, 08:58 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

The guy is a waste of space and gets everything he deserves.
Old 30 January 2004, 09:45 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

didn't the docs put those special tablets in his gut to stop him boozing??

i thought it makes him sick or something at the first slurp..

he's a waster.

sad but true!!

BB
Old 30 January 2004, 10:39 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

IB,
That’s the great thing about discussing these things and putting your points across and I respect you point of view, but please understand that I’m not red-necked, do not buy the Sun, and do not fail to see the bloke's got severe problems; The point is they are all self induced, so although it an illness I don’t regard it as the same as being terminally ill for example.

I say all this as a person who lost a close family member due to liver failure, and who has also dealt first hand with an uncle who was an alcoholic for well over a decade. Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not saying shame for me....I could talk about this till the cows come home with no problem at all. I’m just sad to see (and I guess a little angry at times) that this man has had all kings of support and help from some of the finest medical staff this country has to offer, not overlooking all the support he has had to come off, and stay off the wagon, and yet he continues to kill himself with drink...
The man has no back bone and is a disgrace to himself, and himself only. This forum may only be a snap shot, but it would appear that most think the same way.

It is sad M8, but bloody true.
Jools
Old 30 January 2004, 11:12 PM
icebreaker
Scooby Regular

Jools

First off, apologies for the redneck comment: should have used a smilie as it wasn't meant to offend

I think I'm right in saying that Best's done the rehab thing more than once but when you're as messed up as this, it's virtually impossible to climb out of it. (Perhaps, with this in mind, the doctors didn't pick an ideal candidate for a liver transplant)

IMO it's not down to lack of backbone: in many ways, being an alcoholic's like being a drug addict: they just can't help themselves. (Even though they were friggin' dumb for allowing themselves to go down that road in the first place. No-one makes a junkie take his first hit or an alcoholic begin on his first binges.)

Best's mother died in her early 40s from booze but she didn't begin drinking until she was in her 30s. Does make you wonder if there's a flaw there along the addictive personality front.
Old 31 January 2004, 10:10 AM
doorman
Scooby Regular

The man's a f0cking idiot.nice wife so he beats her up c*nt/nice motor gets pi$$ed trys to smash that up/a new liver oo i think i'll fock that up to.the gezzer has no will power at all and no bollox-loser.ta ta
Old 31 January 2004, 01:29 PM
icebreaker
Scooby Regular

sadly, alcoholism has as much to do with will power as your well crafted response has do with intelligent thinking.
Old 31 January 2004, 05:34 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Wink

IB; No probs there M8, good to discuss there things now and again. Taking about drinking.............has DM being having a few as well

Jools
Old 31 January 2004, 05:38 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Red face

Opps, sorry about the typo, talking. Offshore right now and can not use the edit facility for some reason.
Old 01 February 2004, 02:28 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Maybe the guy wants to die, and this is his easiest way out. You have no idea what else is going on in his life so cant make any judgements as to his motives.

Quick Reply: George Best - Charged with Drink-Driving.