Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2004, 05:20 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm driving there next week via Andorra- I'm interested in any tips about what to do in the city (bars and eating mainly) and also any info anyone has on duty free in Andorra.
If anyone has been to Sitges and can give any info that would also be appreciated.
Old 25 January 2004, 08:08 PM
ChrisB

Can't help on where to but you have to drive the C-25 between the A-7 near Girona and Vic. Stunning
Old 26 January 2004, 07:17 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip, I'll be driving down via Perpignan so the A7 is part of the route. Looking forward to some awesome roads.
Old 26 January 2004, 08:39 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

In Barcelona visit Picasso museum, a million different places to eat - try find somewhere down an alley that doesn't have an english menu on display.

Crap loads of bars down Port Olympica - normall only around 20-50% English Chavs in attendance so not *that* bad.

Got to go see the sagrada familiar.
Old 26 January 2004, 09:11 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

You will absolutely love the drive, we did it on the Cannonball last year, if you intend to drive hard through Andora keep an eye on your brakes as its just bend after bend, a couple of people cooked their brakes on the Cannonball. I took a car which normally averages about 25 mpg, for the 350 mile leg which included Andora I ended up with only 16.7 mpg & a GREAT BIG SMILE !!!!!!!!!!
We only stayed one night in Barcelona & ate at the Hard Rock Cafe which unless you are really into that kind of thing its worth a miss. Barcelona a fun place at night & we will def go back for a weekend. Its also got a good share of "Gentlemens Bars" & Ladies of the Night as some of the Cannonballers found but I have no idea which area of town they are in. Taxi drivers were also good & didnt apear to rip us off so suggest you park the wheels, have a good night & use their knowledge to get you to the sort of place you are looking for
Old 26 January 2004, 09:15 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Agree about seeing the cathedral, it is an absolute "must do"

The chic'est bars restaurants are in the side streets and squares off to the east of Las Ramblas, towards the harbour end. Great food and not expensive.

Also see Parc Guell. It was designed by Gaudi and is like a scene from LOTR. The views over the city are stunning. Get a taxi, its a long walk there.

The Museum of Modern Art is interesting. Very wacky exhibits, most of which I thought were utter tosh. But some were good. Reason for going is to see the building, which is beautiful.

Best shopping is on the road going away from Place de Catalunya (going away from the sea).

We hired a car for the 3 days and only used it to get to Parc Guell.
Old 26 January 2004, 09:59 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Cool

If you like your footy, do a tour of the Neu Camp (sp?) or better still watch a game

Trending Topics

Old 26 January 2004, 10:13 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. The Sagrada Familia
and Gaudi's others buildings are top of the list.

I'm also quite interested to know about anyones experiences with Barcelona's many street scammers- so I know what to look out for.
Old 26 January 2004, 01:43 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ooooh, I am off to Barcelona a week on Tuesday for a few days
Old 26 January 2004, 01:55 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Haven't been myself yet e-claire but I'm reliably informed that as well as being a stunning and vibrant city, that it is also scam/muggings/street robbery capital of Europe.

I'm not overly worried because this type of crime is primarily aimed at obvious tourist types. Just be careful though won't you.
Old 26 January 2004, 02:03 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Nacro - I have been loads of times - even on a stag weekend and didn't come across any scammers or pikies etc (unless I was too p1ssed to notice)

Old 26 January 2004, 02:36 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I have also been & never had a problem. Wonderful City
Beckham made a big mistake IMHO.

Darren

[Edited by Daz34 - 1/26/2004 2:37:08 PM]

[Edited by Daz34 - 1/27/2004 1:22:10 PM]
Old 26 January 2004, 02:45 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Went last year to Sitges for a few days. Also went to Barcelona for a day to see the cathedral- totally worth it
Looks like the city has a well confusing 1 way system though....

Sitges is the gay capital of Spain which isnt a bad thing unless you are homophobic meaning that there is v little trouble there, not many english (probably why there is no trouble) There are good places to eat and everyone is very friendly. Also loads of women on the beach when I went
Old 26 January 2004, 02:49 PM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lucky Bugger!!!

Really really nice place, definetely want to go back!
Old 26 January 2004, 03:41 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Got back from Barcelona last week - Fantastic City

Stayed in the Hotel Rivoli Ramblas on Las Ramblas which was ideally located.

The absolute best way to get around the sites is on one of the "Bus Touristic" which are open top double decker buses which run on 2 routes. The red route covers the North side and the Blue route the South side. You can get on and off as often as you like.
A 1 day ticket is 16 euros and a 2 day is 20 euros. With the ticket you get a discount booklet that gives you discounts off the admission prices to most of the sites etc - we saved at least half the cost of the bus fare that way.
The starting point for both bus routes is Plaza Catalunya.

You will have a great time

Bob
Old 26 January 2004, 03:45 PM
ChrisB

What did you think of the hotel Bob?
Old 26 January 2004, 04:00 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Andorra is tax free and very cheap outside of 'Malaga on ice' not sure of it's real name but it's one resort town that I'd avoid like the plague unless you like people puking outside 'English and Irish' pubs eating a full English. The main town is stunning with at least one huge supermarket that sells just about everything very cheaply. Customs going into Spain were very tight, check every inch of the car but didn't ask for any documents!

Not sure which routes we took but can say that we went back for more on some of the stretches in Catalunya.
Old 26 January 2004, 04:05 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

ChrisB
Thought the Hotel was good,had everything I needed, although I expected it to be bigger, especially the foyer, but most of the hotels in the area have smallish foyers as its prime frontage onto La Ramblas.
As far as location it scores maximum points.
I paid 125 euros per night for a double room(booked on internet) and thought it was good value - the Barcelona guide book I bought at the airport listed this hotel in the 240+ per night price bracket!

Will be staying there again deffo

Bob
Old 26 January 2004, 05:19 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

If you're driving near Figueres (north of Barcelona) and like Dali's work, it's worth a visit to his house which is now a museum of his work. It's a weird and amazing place.
Old 26 January 2004, 06:37 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Simlar to London IMO, overated...when there two new years ago and spent a few days there...

Venture of the beaten track and there are beggers galore, food was pretty poor too IMO, maybe you need to know where to go like most big cities...

The Gaudi building is something else mind, you can get a lift some of the way up and they walk the rest, very impressive if a little scary
Old 27 January 2004, 12:17 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

I thought a local might be able to give you some advice, this is his response:

"Having had a read, Sitges is a well known gay area. I thought you Scooby boys were different but not that way"

You have been warned

Mick