Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

AV interconnect question - Calling the SNet Experts

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2004, 10:58 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

I have always enjoyed reading the AV / Hifi threads on here, now it's my turn to ask for help from the many clued up people on here.

Some questions maybe cluless but if you dont know, ask and you learn, feel free to take the ****

I have had a Yamaha AV Amp for some time now, and I know I am not getting the most out of it, basically on the rear panel there are ports for everything like any other av amp, coax, phonos,S-VHS inputs and digital in and outs.

I have done a real basic interconnect job so far, phono leads from the TV , Vid, PS2 and Sky, and when I bought my DVD player I bought a coax cable as I was told this gives the best sound reproduction, got it home and notice the only coax port on the back of the amp was for the CD input anyway I plugged it in there all the same and yes I get sound, but when playing a DTS disc I set the amp to CD DTS setting and I get nothing?? is the amp that intelligent it knows a DVD player is plaugged into the CD and it wont process??, so having a closer look at the amp I think an optical cable from the DVD to the amp into the DVD port would be my best option??? and what about the other ports, looking at it I could connect everything (as listed above) to the AV amp and have one line out to the tv, good idea or stick with the phonos.

Any interconnects recomendations??

Last Question

I am running some Mission M74's on my Hifi, these are Bi-wireable which I am using Bi-wire cable, great no problems, I have just bought some Mission M72i's as front speakers for my AV set up and dont intend to bi-wire, does it make any difference as to whether I wire them up yo the LF or HF posts?? do I remove the brass plate from the post i am putting the speaker cable into or just remove totally, when I bi-wired the M74's I removed the brass plates and they sound great.

All advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dave
Old 23 January 2004, 11:06 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I take it you are selecting the DTS soundtrack on the disc in the DVD player too? If the amp is sat waiting for a DTS track but the DVD is outputting DD you mightn't get any sound. If all else fails, get an optical, but coax is best IMHO. If the amp has an "Auto" setting, use that, and it'll switch to whichever format the DVD player is outputting.
I wouldn't bother using the amp for video switching (SVHS etc) as your simply adding another device in between the source and the TV which could degrade quality. Only use if you really need the switching features. Better to just run RGB scart straight to the TV.
When single wiring to bi-wireable speakers, always connect to the HF terminal and leave in the shorting link to transfer the signal to the LF.
Old 23 January 2004, 11:24 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

99% of people wont hear the diff between an optical and coax digital connection.

the other 1% probably have uni-directional speaker cable, polished mains plugs and keep their cds in the fridge

Deano
Old 23 January 2004, 03:16 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Talking

Thanks Corradoboy
Old 25 January 2004, 11:52 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

I also have a yamaha amp, look here and go to the hi-fi page.
dvd, sky, tivo, dab radio and mini disc are all wired into the amp. The sound goes out into my 8 speakers, and the video goes in one direction to my tv on a specially made ixos cable, and in the other direction to my sony projector via a composite cable.
Picture quality via the ixos cable is good, but it's only vhs quality, while the composite to the projector is excellent!
as corradoboy says, did you select the "dts" soundtrack on the disc itself, this feature never comes on by default, and always has to be selected.
is your amp actually dts enabled, not all are! it should have a dts logo on the front, as should the dvd player too!
let me know what the model number of the amp is, as yamaha have a site where you can get the actual manual to most of thier stuff.
as for bi wiring, up to you m8, I've just got some mission speakers, and left them as single wired, and they sound great, but my main system speakers and surrounds are bi wired.
hope that lot helps,
chris.
Old 26 January 2004, 08:25 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

CW42

Nice telly , I have the 36"

Yep the Yam has DTS as does the DVD player and I did select the DTS format on the DVD player, as you are probably aware the yam amp gives you the choice of Auto,Analogue and DTS leaving it on auto is fine when you switch to DTS nothing, no sound, thats why the original interconnect question came up, I just find it never sounds just right and you always adjusting this level and that.

Dave
Old 26 January 2004, 08:56 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that compliment m8, it is a nice telly, had it about 4 years now, and still as sharp as the day I bought it!
So, what model number is the amp? If you tell us, we can look on the yamaha site, and see what the problem is.
Also, if you havn't already, I highly recommend investing in the test and setup disc from videoessentials as this is a fantastic tool to getting your system sounding perfect!
Where abouts are you m8, anywhere near stockport, I could pop over and give you a free setup!

chris
Old 26 January 2004, 09:44 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Hi Cw42 I have the manual and the diagrams in the Yam "Encyclopedia" (Its a fat bugger) are showing a optical link to the DVD, rather than my set up where I used a digital coax into the CD (the only port that supported coax), as the intial question asked, I doubt the processor is intelligent enough to know I have a DVD player running through the CD coax input, anyway I have the DSP-AX630SE, running the usual 6 speaker set up, fronts, rears, sub and centre.

Cheers
Old 26 January 2004, 09:58 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

the other 1% probably have uni-directional speaker cable, polished mains plugs and keep their cds in the fridge
have you been talking to my missus?
Old 26 January 2004, 10:35 AM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

You have to tell the Amp what is plugged into the socket as each socket can be given a different identity. I think that the identity of the socket determines if the processor automatically detects signals such as DD or DTS. Looking at it you need to go into the I/O Assign menu. I have my DVD player pluged in using Coax digital cable. The port at the back says CD player but when I select DVD player from the AMP it all works fine.

Si
Old 26 January 2004, 11:25 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

SiCotty

You know what I reckon your Fookin right, I remember playing with that when I 1st bought it, it's all coming back to me, I'll give it a go when I get home
Old 26 January 2004, 02:01 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Is there a UK dealer for Video Essentials DVD? - the Yahoo store their website takes you to says that the DVD's are shipped to Europe from the United Kingdom - so there must be a UK dealer - rather than buying from Yahoo in US$ (although prob cheaper!)

Thanks.

p.s your prob right about the port assignment - on my Denon amp you have to assign each port to whichever device it is connected to.
Old 26 January 2004, 02:04 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You *DO* mean the freezer, don't you..??

Tsk, i don't know, amateurs....

Old 26 January 2004, 03:02 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

dr hu, play.com/uk

I did get mine from the states years ago, and the old version, not this one.
Dont forget you also have to invest in a good sound meter too!

chris
Old 26 January 2004, 04:39 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular