Letting Agencies

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2004, 05:46 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

After a bit of advice, please...

Currently I rent a property and have done since February 2001 - same property. Throughout the rental agreement the contract has stated that I may terminate it at any time by giving one month's notice in writing...all well and good, no problem there.

I received the latest renewal letter on the 29th December, again stating that I can terminate by giving one month's notice.

However, between then and now, they have been asked for a reference from a mortgage company as I'm looking to purchase a house.

My contract with this letting agency ends on the 31st January and as yet I have not signed to renew. This morning I received a letter from them stating the following :

"As requested we have drawn up new Tenancy agreements for a six month period and these are ready for your signature. You will now be responsible for the rent for the duration of the contract. We would ask you to please call into the office before 01 February 2004 to sign these agreements"

Does this mean that if I sign the agreements, as the house purchase is probably not going to be complete before the 1st February, that I am going to have to pay the rent for all six months, regardless if I give them a month's notice in writing?

Advice please...

Thanks.

[Edited by Mice_Elf - 1/15/2004 5:48:42 PM]
Old 15 January 2004, 05:49 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

yes, as this would be a new contract...i think
Old 15 January 2004, 05:52 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Not quite sure whether this would be regarded as a continuation of your old contract in law.......however you could always continue to pay the rent without re-signing to stall them. This would still give tenancy rights without signing up to a further 6 months. Alternatively ask for a month by month extension.
Old 15 January 2004, 05:57 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks... Forgot to say that at the moment I pay month-in-advance, so I need to either let them take February's payment at the end of this month, or cancel the DD and hope that the Solicitors get their act together for the house!
Old 15 January 2004, 06:01 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Take a look at the new contract,a tenant can usually terminate a contract within the first 6 months by giving at least 2 months written notice of intention to terminate,and you will not be liable for any rent after this period,i believe this is common practice to all assured shorthold agreements.I let property out and this is on my contracts.

Hope this helps

Paul

Old 15 January 2004, 06:13 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

I'm just curious as on every single letter I've had from them before they've mentioned the month's notice. Even on the other "please sign the new agreement" letters, of which there have been 4 - this one makes 5.

I haven't seen the (new) contract but it SHOULD be the same as before as I'm not aware of any changes except this "liable for rent for all 6 months" clause...
Old 15 January 2004, 06:55 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
There is no legal requirement to continue to sign new contracts that im aware of, if youve got a shorthold tenancy agreement, it sort of rolls on month by month until the tenant gives one months notice and the landlord 2 months after the 6 month agreement is up, (or 4 months into it for landlord, not sure about tenant, 5 months?)

Shorthold tenancy agreements are assumed by law to be the automatic agreement on all new tenancies unless otherwise stated. Id ask to stay on the current contract, as it should 'roll', and give them an approx month that youll be moving and give the required notice, ie. a month. If not, make it clear to them that you dont want to be liable for any rent in the next 6 months when might be moving out after 3 etc. And, get it in writing.

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2004, 06:59 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Don't sign it. After the six month expiry of the assured shorthold tenancy agreement it is just a rolling contract with you required to give one months notice & the landlords two months
Old 16 January 2004, 11:28 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Up again for any more responses.
Old 16 January 2004, 01:45 PM
lozzaloz
Scooby Regular

I'd go along with Daz34's answer.

After 6 months it's normally 1 or 2 months notice on either side.

Have you spoken to the landlord?

[Edited by lozzaloz - 1/16/2004 1:47:55 PM]