Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are Brain tumours becoming more common nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2004, 04:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Found out after coming back from Xmas break that one of the lads who used to work with us died over Xmas with a brain tumour.

A friend on my Brother's (just 24) was diagnosed with one about a month ago (luckily he seems to have pulled through).

And the Aunt of a friend died just a few weeks ago with one.

Maybe it's just one of those things, but feels very strange to know of 3 people who've all been diagnosed with one.

Bit of a morbid question, but just wondered if they seem to be on the increase in recent years or has diagnosis just got better?

Stefan
Old 13 January 2004, 04:07 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Auntie has an inoperable brain tumour. She was given 3 months to live 18 month ago. She is now on a trial of a new drug which is her last hope. I don't know if they are on the increase but I do know that she has lead a life free of excessive drink, no drugs and doesn't smoke. I don't try to make any sense of it because I don't think you can.
Old 13 January 2004, 04:21 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Know what you are saying Stefan

Friend of Heather's family has just been told he has the most sever grade (grade 5 ?) of tumour and will be a matter of weeks.

Then we all heard about Richard Burns... so maybe you have a valid point

Hope it ain't anything to do with mobile phones

Sad anyway
Old 13 January 2004, 04:27 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Not just mobiles....

There's the transmission towers, the police RF, home cordless analogue phones, DECT, WLAN, etc
Old 13 January 2004, 04:50 PM
UFO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Who else reads medical threads and gets paranoid?

Now where did I put the paracetamol? I feel a head ache coming on!
Old 13 January 2004, 05:14 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Theoretically tumours can be attributable to any radiation at all, even cosmic rays from space!

By and large I think there is an increased incidence per unit capita but the causes you read about in the papers are by and large pure speculation, scaremongering and misinterpretation of statistical data.
Old 13 January 2004, 09:21 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

let me just say this

I used to work at a electronics company who produced RF transmitters that worked on frequencies from mobile phones up 30 times higer.

The first thing you notice it the amount of people with hair loss ? too many young people there with bald patches to be a coinsidence

I used to suffer terrible short momory loss (what was i talking about ? ) it has taken years since i stopped working there for it to recover. It got so bad, i would completly forget i had spoken to someone earlier in the day.

I now only use my mobile if i have no other choice

[Edited by Monkeh - 1/13/2004 9:22:26 PM]
Old 14 January 2004, 12:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The intensity of radiation from a mobile phone next to your ear is really high and the UHF signal is getting on for what microwave ovens produce. The intensity of the radiation from aerials will be a lot less because the radiation decreases according to the inverse square of the distance. Still not good for you though. This kind of radiation will certainly be bad for you and is made worse of course by continuous use. I have a horrible feeling that this problem will show up seriously in years to come.

Les
Old 14 January 2004, 12:48 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

I was led to believe from a workplace nurse - that office equipment (faxes/photocopiers and the lovely computers we all love - are likely to be designated the next major health risk)

only low levels of radiation - but in busy offices, confined spaces and with constant use - they are thought to be causing problems.

possibly next major risk - in lines of asbestos/coal mining etc - get you compo claim in now
Old 14 January 2004, 01:40 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

The fact is that there is significantly greater oxidative stress on the body these days than there was 30 years a go. Its wrong to point at one thing and say that's the cause e.g. mobile phones... its just something that is an accepted part of everyday life - progress!

I feel that the incidence of these sort of diseases will increase unless people take steps to prevent them. There is lots of research into how we can handle this - better diets etc. but people will only listen/change once they are sick or someone close to them gets ill/dies. The body is a remarkable machine and given the right tools can deal with/recover from most things.

I personally supplement my diet to make sure that my body gets all the nutrition it needs....haven't been sick in 2 years so somethings working well !

Cheers

Richard
Old 14 January 2004, 01:46 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

haven't been sick in 2 years so somethings working well
I don't take any suppliments (and not a fantastic diet either)and have never been ill apart from mumps as a kid and the occasional hangover..

horses for courses
Old 14 January 2004, 01:52 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Could it just be down to better diagnosis?
Old 14 January 2004, 01:52 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

Yeah exactly - I used to get colds/flu at least 3 times a year, hay fever etc. now nothing so you are right it depends on your own body but there is always room for improvement .

The problem with these sort of diseases is that it takes years to develop to a point which is detectable - by which time your in big trouble, so prevention whether you are healthy or sick is the key.

Cheers

Richard
Old 14 January 2004, 01:57 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

My girlfriends Dad died last year from a brain tumour. Didn't especially get along with him, but always respected him as the Dad of my girlfriend.A retired engineer and very clever man, I was always impressed with the level of dignity he carried himself with.
At first his doctor thought he was going senile. For two months he suggested nothing more and said it was his age. I'll never forgot one tearful phone call Rachel made from her parents.
Her Dad couldn't remember her name.
Eventually enough was enough. They asked for another diagnosis and he was found to have a massive brain tumour that was inoperable. From diagnosis to his death he lasted a month.
Old 14 January 2004, 02:05 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

That's tragic trouble with some doctors is they make assumptions.... but I guess its hard to spot.

Richard
Old 14 January 2004, 02:08 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

I blame the government - your 2mins with the doctor starts ticking as soon as you enter the consulting room, take off 90 seconds for the form filling the dr has to do. Not surprising mistakes are made during a speedy consultation!
Old 14 January 2004, 02:12 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

I think our reliance on the NHS is a factor in the UK - wait until we get sick and then expect the NHS to deal with it.

If you had to pay for your doctors etc you might take steps to prevent illness rather than face the huge cost of sickness.
Old 14 January 2004, 02:24 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think people need educated on preventative measures. I exercise every day, eat a more or less healthly diet, have low bodyfat, cholesterol and good blood pressure, have never smoked and only occasionally drink.

I still could easily get a brain tumour. I'm reducing my chances, but my brother's mate was all of the above and only 24 when he was diagnosed.

Seems there's lots of cancer scares these days. If it's not Scottish Salmon, it's deoderant FFS. Who do you believe? and do you trust the supposed professionals to actually know.

People have been dying of cancers for generations, so maybe we're just picking things up sooner or maybe there is truth in our environment or eating habits

Stefan
Old 14 January 2004, 02:58 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

A good diet is not a factor on its own until you understand what it does in the body (I'm still trying to learn) and what cannot happen without it. Also the nutritional value of our food is decreasing - green harvesting of fruits and vegetables, contaminants in the water (pharmaceuticals/birth control/pesticides) etc. means that we have to eat a huge amount in order to eat enough fresh food to meet the bodies requirements - 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day is now closer to 12 in America and we are not far behind!

If the body does not have what it requires it will not operate correctly - have a strong immune system to get rid of toxins/bad cells before they do harm. I take a supplement to make sure my body has everything it needs.....you can choose to take care of your health today or be forced to take care of your illness tomorrow!

Cheers

Richard
Old 14 January 2004, 04:33 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Richard,

What sort of supplement do you take?
Old 14 January 2004, 04:42 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Richard - If you had to pay for your doctors

Who is paying for it then?? I thought my income tax goes to pay for it, and having private medical cover I think my contributions to the NHS so far have out weighed what its cost the government to treat my illnesses.
Old 14 January 2004, 05:06 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I had one diagnosed in December 99, luckly for me it was taken out
and I am OK but it was scarey to say the least
Cheers
Colin
Old 14 January 2004, 06:35 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Paying for doctors - ahhh c'mon you know what I mean...

Obviously we do contribute towards the NHS but nowhere near enough to maintain the ever increasing costs....also with the aging population these costs are skyrocketing so I guess the gap between what we pay and what we receive is getting smaller.

Although we all 'pay' for the NHS its not as 'front of mind' as having to write a cheque everytime we visit the doctor...obviously private healthcare is different as you have chosen to pay to have a room to yourself when you get sick

So as we all pay for our healthcare I guess we should just let ourselves get sick to get our money's worth... I personally only want to rely on the NHS for when there's an accident or I have kids - not for treating a disease that I'd rather not have in the first place, but that's just me!

Cheers

Richard
Old 14 January 2004, 07:15 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Sorry Butkus missed your post,

I take glyconutrient supplements as they contain the nutrition that the body does not get from the modern diet.

A bit of explanation - there are 8 biologically active sugars (as opposed to the sugars/carbs that are used only for fuel) that are essential for cell to cell communication - these are glyconutrients. In the modern diet we only get 2 - glucose and the sugar we get from dairy products, so when you combine this deficiency with stress/toxicity in the environment over time cells do not communicate and operate as designed resulting in disease i.e. cells not doing what they should = disease!

The role of glyconutrients is scientific fact and documented in Harpers Biochemistry and the discovery of this and the research into this area (Glycobiology) has received a number of Nobel prizes.

I take them to prevent illness (I'm 29 and healthy) but I know quite a few people that take them to treat illness as it helps the body to heal itself - my aunt had Rheumatoid Arthritis and this is the only thing that has actually helped her!

If anyone wants more info, let me know. My mother sells them and after my experience and the benefits to those close to me I'm building a website to build awareness/sell these products for her so I can supply at a discounted rate to Scoobynetters !

Cheers

Richard