Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I am getting tired of the trolling and ongoing spats that are ruining threads

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 12:57 PM
Dirk Diggler
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

This seems to be happening more and more on ScoobyNet.

I have been using ScoobyNet for a number of years in different guises and the one thing I have noticed recently is that threads are being locked due to people insulting or taking well off topic to suit their own ends.

Kilroy thread for one, Caravanners for another, they are not the only ones. ruined by the small minority whom seen hell bent on this for their own reasons.

You can say it is the moderators who are at fault for not editing or jumping on stuff sooner but really it is just as much down to us the users of ScoobyNet to report it to the mods or just not rise to the bait.

This board has a lot of members and a few of them seem hell bent on hijacking it for themselves and their ends.

Well it is not on.

Keep it up and perhaps the owners may tire and shut ScoobyNet down, we all loose out unless that is the objective of the trolls.

A friendly and more positive attitude would help. Controversial threads need not turn into a slanging match or a flame war.

I hope things improve.

Dirk
Old 12 January 2004, 12:59 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Agree totally dirk- some on here can't take a joke though and instead prefer to carry on some kind of vendetta. Look at the glee that the vultures decended with following one harmless comment from me. I guess I probably make their lives worth living
Old 12 January 2004, 01:03 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dirk

Fair points mate but in all honesty (and no I ain't a complete pessimist at heart ) I think it's just symptomatic of the way people are gradually evolving ...

More and more inconsiderate w@nkers everywhere you look and I don't see how scoobynet can escape

Cheers
Old 12 January 2004, 01:14 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Re: The Kilroy thread. For the record I reported this particular act of trolling three times to the mods requesting that the posts be edited. Nothing happened. As I had been publicly called a fat racist slob (or something along those lines ) I felt I had no choice but to defend myself.

As I have said since, some posters on here seem to have immunity from the guidelines and can act however they please and post whatever insults they want without consequence. Go figure...

UB
Old 12 January 2004, 01:17 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Question

It also has it's fair share of drama queens too eh Dirk?

Reminding people of something that bothers you does, actually re-fuel it.

Why else would Nacro comment looking for a "biter"?

Old 12 January 2004, 01:32 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Actually I commented because I have a pretty good idea of who Dirk actually is ie the user name he uses most of the time. He doesn't do a very good job of changing his syntax or typing style and he commits that ultimate faux pas of the BBS multiple personality and uses the same phrases across identities.

[Edited by NACRO - 1/12/2004 4:49:16 PM]
Old 12 January 2004, 02:17 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

You reap what you sow DD. The mods are only to aware of who the trouble makers are on SN, not that there are 'that' many tbo. They know who the usernames belong to and can therefore work out very easily who we 'really' are.

Without naming names one of the mods stated (in his own words) that "Some changes may be afoot to enable a more effective clampdown on trolls and sh*t-stirers". I have noticed they have acted quickly to shut down the more obvious and contentious threads lately.

Dunno what this will mean in effect but if stops people throwing immature and very personal insults about just because they get some sick pleasure out of it or see any kind of community spirit as a weakness then it can only be a good thing.

No web forum would stay viable by letting known troublemakers off the hook for ever, they will have been VIP'd by the mods long ago as potential troublemakers and will eventually be warned of the consequences of their actions as others already have been.

John
Old 12 January 2004, 02:22 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Without wishing to start a flame war...............

Surely the measures you talk about will put a stop to some of your activities jye. I notice you follow ps lewis around like a little dog trolling on his threads and then have the gall to accuse others of doing it yourself. Surely not in keeping with your comments on here? Or do you now propose to cease that type of behaviour?
Hopefully you appreciate what I'm trying to get at here, as you rightly say you reap what you sow, you've found that out yourself over the last few weeks.
Old 12 January 2004, 03:12 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<Cue...really boring slagging match between Jye and Nacro>

....with both trying to pick holes in each other's arguments

Surely you can both see this coming

Old 12 January 2004, 03:14 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Unlike you I'm hiding nothing NACRO, if you think any of my comments made against anyone on SN could be construed as trolling or as a start to a flame war then feel free to hit the RTM button. I'm sure these changes, whatever they may be wont make any difference to my posting 'activities'.

pslewis and myself go way back, probably before your time, but then we will never know as we dont know who the real NACRO is, much as you seem to think we care, but anyway I'm sure Mr lewis doesnt need you to fight his corner. He hasnt been around much lately, perhaps even he is getting bored, or has another username

BTW it only becomes a flame war when people start personally insulting others, thats not just taking the mick etc, its the laughing at the misfortune of others and the sheer vitriol of some of the name calling/personal insults that is likely to cause offense.

As you obvioulsy have some sort of beef with me which is likely to end up with threads being locked (I guess I should never have laughed at 'Big Ed', lol ), then this time, and as you constantly feel the need to remind me, I will finally stay off your gripping NACRO threads.

As only yourself and one other person seem to bring out the cu*t in me then I'm sure this will bring pleasure and joy to all those on SN who get annoyed by this, especially the mods. You could then return the favour by keeping away from my soppy persoanl life threads which you find so sad and distasteful but always end up in. Perhaps then we will see who is following who about like a little leg humper, lol

I have a tear in my eye at the thought of never conversing with you again, but the hook had to come out sooner or later

John

[Edited by Jye - 1/12/2004 3:16:17 PM]
Old 12 January 2004, 03:21 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

The threads that are trolled are often the most entertaining and attract the most replies.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of banter and good old wind-up from time to time.

People need to chill out a little bit more.
Old 12 January 2004, 03:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Wink

Are You Starting???[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12 January 2004, 03:24 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

One of the real problems IMO is that the mods "want" to bin the sh*t stirrers, useless posts, trolls etc but cannot act as freely as they may otherwise would.

They cannot do it due to the pressures placed upon them of trying to keep everone happy all of the time.

It just doesn't work.

If it had been down to me (and it wasn't) I'd have vaped certain posters on sight, without explanation, for all the sh*t they cause.

A joke, a laugh and heated debate are fine, but some take it too far, simply for their own personal amusement. And they should be binned on sight, IMHO

This BBS does not exists to amuse those (and you all know who you are) who post in an inflamatory or contentious manner just cos it gives them a hard on to do so (metaphorically speaking)

Some people get it far too easy on here..

D

Old 12 January 2004, 03:25 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I think the negative aspect comes when threads are pulled off course and closed. Personally I don't see the problem with a good handbag fight so long as it is contained within a thread intended for that purpose, then people can choose whether to take it or leave it.
Old 12 January 2004, 03:26 PM
NACRO
BANNED

You seem to have felt the need to turn this into something outside the topic at hand jye. I do however have a deep and abiding respect for your decision to say you are going to hide your head in the sand (again).

In the spirit of reconciliation, I'll do my level best to be a better member of the "community" from now on.
Old 12 January 2004, 03:28 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

UB I too am awaiting a reaction by a moderator or/and webmaster. They need to send out the right message here, not sit back quietly and lamely. What the heck is going on - I've seen them stamp over much less...

D
Old 12 January 2004, 03:32 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Wink

Are You Starting???
Are you fooking asking?
Old 12 January 2004, 04:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Wink

eh eh eh eh!

calm down

calm down

Old 12 January 2004, 04:47 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Well personally I fail to see why anyone needs more than one nickname to post to a messageboard.

So the first thing I would do is ban people from using more than one Nickname. Yes there are ways around it, but it would put a halt to some of the worst excesses.
Old 12 January 2004, 04:56 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I don't post much on here but this thread is representative of other boards that I post on in (and a similar discussion is ongoing on them).
The general trend of all boards is certain people post just to get a rise out of others. This will always lead to a breakdown of more or less any topic.

Old 12 January 2004, 04:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I agree with the one user ID thing. I will admit to having. ooh at leat five user ID's HOWEVER, I have not posted with them for at least a year or more, they were setup for jokey muppet reasons. the ID I use is this one <points to his username> If I have something to say I will say it, I will not hide behind another username.
Old 12 January 2004, 05:42 PM
CheekyChimp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I on the other hand have nothing to hide and whether it be muppet worthy, general discussion or geeky computer banter I will remain CheekyChimp. Why bother will multi ID's at all? If you **** up (as in life) then you should make ammends and regain any respect you've lost (Lewis..ahem). I'm assuming the majority of you don't go changing your own name by deed poll every time your big mouths get you into trouble down your local. Grow up fellas and accept the responsibilty of your sometimes irresponsible comments.
Old 12 January 2004, 05:47 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

I think the locking of the threads is the easy option,the mods should just delete the offending posts so the threads can stay open

and just as bad is "thread starters" requesting threads to be closed becaus ethey have become embarassed by then

if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen (and in muppets,usually)
Old 12 January 2004, 06:34 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Multiple ID's give you the opportunity to develop a different "character" for each one.
Old 12 January 2004, 06:59 PM
CheekyChimp
Scooby Regular

Red face

Is real life so bad that you have to create different "Characters" in order to get any joy? I guess like me, most people have lives outside bloody forums so the concept baffles us. Lewis is one of your poorest by the way. The old man thing lost its lustre once you started talking invading the computer forum and being a *****. So less of the scarlet pimpernell routine and just be who you are fella.
Old 12 January 2004, 07:09 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All,

Can I firstly say that Scoobynet does not condone or actively allow any issues that contravene the Scoobynet Forum Guidelines. Unfortunately the moderation team can only act on issues that they are aware of. This can be a mixture of moderation by self scanning or by the really useful RTM function. Anything that is RTM'd and clearly breaks Forum Guidelines will be acted upon, but please bare with us if this is not done immediately, as moderators may not be around at all times, but please be rest assured that appropriate moderation will take place if guidelines are broken and issues are known.

The whole process is a 2 way thing. Moderators can only act if they are aware. Hence support is required by both parties (which is currently the case). In short, if you see anything that breaks forum guidelines, please use the RTM function.

Many thanks,
Shaun.
Old 13 January 2004, 06:34 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Talking

CheekyChimp, you think I'm PS Lewis???? PMSL, the man's a one off.

This just gets better and better.

Old 13 January 2004, 09:18 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

CheekyChimp, you think I'm PS Lewis???? PMSL, the man's a one off.
Think it's more likely that you are Cha0s
Old 13 January 2004, 11:06 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Lightbulb

Enough of the guessing games...all I'm prepared to say is that my other alter egos are all pretty well behaved, so obviously I'm not chaos.

Quick Reply: I am getting tired of the trolling and ongoing spats that are ruining threads